All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 27-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs down Better late than never

While I'm sure the N8 will be a nice phone I honestly think Nokia is a little late to the party with it. Most of the features the N8 offers, with the exception of Symbian^3, HDMI and Wifi N, have been out for awhile with in the SE Satio and the Samsung i8910.

Being a current owner of a i8910 I see no need to toss it in favour of the N8.

Old 27-04-2010, 12:55 PM
bp101

"Nokia have been ruler of the smartphone world in the most important area (sales)"

Why do you say that sales are most important? I'm not a shareholder in any of these companies, so why should I give two shits how many devices they sell?

In fact, I would argue that a company that put sales as its priority will inevitably be stricken by conservatism and be slow to adapt to changing trends. This has been Nokia's problem for years.

Old 27-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Unregistered

I'm disappointed! The resolution is even smaller than that of the N97 (also I think the resolution is 640x360). Why can't Nokia take the leadership in resolution, as they did it with the E90 Communicator with its 800x352 pixel display?

So I will stuck with my E90. If Nokia (or any other manufacturer) wants to sell me a new Symbian mobile: At least 800x480, as it is now comon on first class mobiles (Windows Mobile, Android all have devices with this or even higher resolution). But I would prefer a successor to the E90, similar design as N97 but with full keyboard (digit row), but size of E90 (perhaps wider, not longer). The touchscreen display should use the full area (as much as technical possible), which then should allow a display with 1024 x >=480 (the E90 display doesn't use the full area available).

If you ever have surfed with the new Opera mobile 10 and an 800 pixel wide display (or used office applications), you now what I mean :-)

Old 27-04-2010, 01:04 PM

Hih is on a distinguished road
Sigh. Nothing new really.

Long live S40 platform!

Old 27-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Dardano

It's a great phone and the price is for semi-mass market. The only downer I really see here is the release date somewhere in Q3! That's three months from now! That's quite a long time till it gets out and light years in the mobile tech world!

Does anyone know what happened to these rumors? http://www.begeek.fr/premiere-photo-du-nokia-n98-7699

Doesn't look like the N8 with Qwerty? Hope they release this too, the keys look actually quite awesome compared to the N97 and finally its a 4 row layout!! Thank good!
Ads

Old 27-04-2010, 01:12 PM

ab0895 is on a distinguished road
Do all N97 early adopters get one of these for free? I feel thoroughly cheated

Old 27-04-2010, 01:19 PM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
E7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardano View Post
It's a great phone and the price is for semi-mass market. The only downer I really see here is the release date somewhere in Q3! That's three months from now! That's quite a long time till it gets out and light years in the mobile tech world!

Does anyone know what happened to these rumors? http://www.begeek.fr/premiere-photo-du-nokia-n98-7699

Doesn't look like the N8 with Qwerty? Hope they release this too, the keys look actually quite awesome compared to the N97 and finally its a 4 row layout!! Thank good!
Yes some sites call this the upcoming E7. am waiting for that since it has QWERTY and i dont care about the camera (i dont need more than 3.2MP may be its only me).

Eseries serious device now will get my money. even for 800$ since i paid that for the E90 before 2 years and still happy with it.

Old 27-04-2010, 01:23 PM

tenoce is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammar_Dento View Post
Yes some sites call this the upcoming E7. am waiting for that since it has QWERTY and i dont care about the camera (i dont need more than 3.2MP may be its only me).

Eseries serious device now will get my money. even for 800$ since i paid that for the E90 before 2 years and still happy with it.
But it has N00 in its corner.

Old 27-04-2010, 01:29 PM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenoce View Post
But it has N00 in its corner.
I think because its prototype. The site said its just a rumor

Who cares? call it iPoo and give me killer keyboard with S^x

Old 27-04-2010, 01:35 PM

Aeru is on a distinguished road
Processor?

What processor does it have as it is listed here http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/N8/ as only an ARM 11 not a cortex A8???

Old 27-04-2010, 02:00 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp101 View Post
"Nokia have been ruler of the smartphone world in the most important area (sales)"

Why do you say that sales are most important? I'm not a shareholder in any of these companies, so why should I give two shits how many devices they sell?

In fact, I would argue that a company that put sales as its priority will inevitably be stricken by conservatism and be slow to adapt to changing trends. This has been Nokia's problem for years.
What the sales tends to show is that Nokia are actually producing products that people tend to want. Although i will agree that Nokias attempts at touch screen have been relatively lame, although surprisingly effective (5230 is by far and away the cheapest/most flexible satnav solution on the market).

If you think that Nokia aren't innovating, try looking at the competition. None of them have done anything like true innovation.

There is little in the way of true innovation in mobiles these days - everything has been gradual evolution - more pixels, faster processors, higher resolution screens, etc.

Old 27-04-2010, 02:13 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFanboy View Post
...some features down right stolen *Cough* Coverflow *Cough*. But that's honestly the only thing I can complain about, and for a Nokia handset, that's astonishing :-)
How about Apple stealing ALL of Nokia's GSM/3G technology? Now that's what I call theft...

Old 27-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Unregistered

VoIP?

One thing that's missing from the spec sheet seems to be Nokia's VoIP software. Is that just an oversight or has it been removed from Symbian^3 phones?

Old 27-04-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeru View Post
What processor does it have as it is listed here http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/N8/ as only an ARM 11 not a cortex A8???
With the lead times on the product development thats not totally surprising - Nokia have only recently announced their links with other cpu suppliers.

But still, Symbian tends to be more efficient than most other mobile operating systems, so a 50%+ hike in CPU speed is definitely welcome.

Old 27-04-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFanboy View Post
My only critiscism however is they haven't innovated at all tbh, everything on the handset has been done before (Better? Who knows) and some features down right stolen *Cough* Coverflow *Cough*. But that's honestly the only thing I can complain about, and for a Nokia handset, that's astonishing :-)
Coverflow was never created by Apple. It was developed independently and then bought by Apple, as is their way with 99% of their "innovation".