All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 02-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia C5 - classic style candy bar at €135, first Cseries

Today, at CeBIT, Nokia announced the Nokia C5. It is a S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2 handset, in a candy bar form factor with a 2.2 inch screen and a 3.2 megapixel camera. It is the first in Nokia's new Cseries range, which represents the 'core' range of products, and will ship in the second quarter of 2010 at a price of €135 before taxes and subsidies.

Read on in the full article.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:45 AM
thedream

Thumbs up

i must say for the general public this is one of the nicest canybar phone offers in history. free navigation??

its probably the most value for the money in the market for €135.- A symbian phone with free navigation that cheap? daaamn!! I can see my mother and 12year old brother loving this, now all of a sudden they're gonna Skype on this, VoIP, e-mail, chat, twitter, facebook, sync with their laptops. Shoot they're gonna be doing the same thing i do with my E71!

I can see this selling like hotcakes!

Old 02-03-2010, 10:48 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Whats a "core portfolio" series? And what kind of users is this C Series targeted at? E.g. X series is music, N series is multimedia, E series is business users, etc.

If this 1st model is an indication, does not look like the C Series are going to be expensive phones.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
From the Nokia Conversations blog:

Quote:
Nseries remains the flagship and most advanced range of products. Xseries comes next and focuses on social entertainment. Eseries remains focussed on productivity and business whilst Cseries represents the core range of products.
From the Nokia Bulletin Board:

Quote:
The new Cseries represents the core of Nokia portfolio, focusing on social interaction between friends and family.
In other words you might also terms it classic series, or communication series?

Amazing value in a handset - really starts to bring home idea of solutions as the future for the mid tier too.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Unregistered

C-Series

According to thenokiablog, "The new Cseries represents the core of Nokia portfolio, focusing on social interaction between friends and family."

So I guess it's about "connecting people more smartly" and you can probably expect an emphasis in contacts and messaging on the default homescreen configuration. I read somewhere that this has facebook and other social networking integrated into (for example) contacts. This is also probably an indicator that you shouldn't expect to see massive screens on the Cseries, since those are more necessary for Xseries (entertainment), Eseries (productivity) and Nseries (best tech). BTW, did you see the bit about the numbers too?

Nokia Conversations: "within each series of devices, we’re seeing a new range of numbers, from 1 to 9, each signifying the range of functionality on offer, and the approximate prices of the devices – 1 being the lowest and 9 being the highest."

For me at least, this looks like a great deal at probably £120 sim-free inc VAT, I wouldn't be surprised to see these on sale for less than a hundred quid PAYG soon. I can think of a number of people for who this would be a perfect phone, and well within their budgets.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:19 AM

adi_pie is on a distinguished road
I still like to think the C stands for cheap. :P
With a price this low and a so many features with only one flaw, the screen which is just too small for me though I doubt normals/not geeks will care about it that much, I imagine this thing will sell like hotcakes.
Ads

Old 02-03-2010, 11:34 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_pie View Post
the screen which is just too small for me though I doubt normals/not geeks will care about it that much
LOL... I like the way you refer to non geeks as normal...

Old 02-03-2010, 11:34 AM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
To add to what has been touched on in points above, one wonders when we will see this Contacts Bar Standby Screen make it to existing phones such as the E72, N86 etc.

Though that might not happen for a while due to the E72 having predictive text searching of contacts already from the standby screen, and this feature also likely needing a Firmware Update.

But on that note, I see nearly all existing FP2 devices seeing a Firmware Update in the coming months, merely to incorporate Ovi Maps 3.4 in Firmware, if nothing else, so they could slip this new Standby screen in then.

The feature whereby Facebook Status of existing Contacts is shown in the Contacts Database however, is CERTAINLY a feature I would expect to see rolled out universally, else something I would certainly DESIRE to see rolled out universally.

(As a side note, the delayed Nokia 6700 Slide, originally due start of March, is technically the first phone to see this new Contacts Standby Theme Bar on a standard keyboard device, so one wonders if the 6700 will also have the Facebook Status Updates in the Contacts Application too).

Watch this space, but I for one certainly wholly expect Nokia to make these features available to existing suitable handsets in the coming months too. It would be a poor policy indeed were they not to.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:18 PM

limestone is on a distinguished road
It tweets like a bird. cheap cheap cheap...

I'm inclined to agree with one of the comments above. C = Cheap.
I think this is a clear indication of Nokia's intent on dominating the "middle" of the mass market and introducing phones to lower income countries.
We have heard it in almost every interview with Nokia. They are aiming at India, and Africa.
I think for those of us that are clinging desperately to the hope that Nokia is going to produce a high end product, I think we may go down with the ship. I see people leaving Nokia and heading to Android based platforms like the HTC Desire, Legend and Nexus One in droves.

We should not at all be surprised by a "C" series device. After all, Nokia is in the business of making money, and they know where the "fat" mass market part of the economy is right now.

It's probably a very sensible business decision made by very sensible Finnish businessmen in equally sensible grey suits.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:39 PM

Mr Mark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think for those of us that are clinging desperately to the hope that Nokia is going to produce a high end product, I think we may go down with the ship.
I'm sorry, I didn't see the bit where they said they were going to stop making N, X and E Series phones.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Uninterested

It's a nice phone for normal humans, moves S60 and smartphone features over S40 territory. I don't see any mention of WiFi, which is what those of us that have to deal with very poor 3G coverage need.

Nice at the price. Like a modern N70.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Unregistered

@limestone: "I think for those of us that are clinging desperately to the hope that Nokia is going to produce a high end product, I think we may go down with the ship. I see people leaving Nokia and heading to Android based platforms like the HTC Desire, Legend and Nexus One in droves."

Ha ha that's funny, I like a good joke
Android based platforms eh? Oh yes, that's why Gartner's latest numbers the other day showed only 7m Android sales in the last year vs 80m Symbian. Yeah, that's people leaving in droves alright, of course And that's why Nokia smartphone share saw a huge 5% growth of the smartphone market in the pre-Christmas quarter while iPhone saw flat growth (shocking given that's their main growth quarter traditionally).

Oh and Android is STILL totally inferior, and indeed pointless, compared to Symbian which beats it on every point now (well, UI is still a patch behind until Symbian ^3 release in Q2).

I wouldn't touch an Android device with a barge pole. Apart from the hardware being vastly inferior to Nokia's, and more expensive, the OS is immature, incomplete, a pathetic and broken app store that's making no money for developers, and an SDK that's driving devs nuts and changes almost daily. Steer clear I reckon.

I think we all know full well that new high end Nokia handsets will be announce shortly (this month I believe), run on Symbian ^3, and frankly blow the competition away in the high end. Meanwhile the next iPhone will excite a few Apple-lovers for a month and do nothing to improve Apple's flat market share.

Honestly if anyone believes Android represents the slightest threat to Symbian you need a reality check. As a mobile software developer I am SO glad I didn't believe the hype and get involved with that platform.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:22 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mark View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't see the bit where they said they were going to stop making N, X and E Series phones.
True ... but Nokia need to start making more of a differential between the products in their range.

A 5230 is as quick and has the same basic functionality as the N97. Huge price differential that isn't justified by the extra memory, keyboard, wifi and compass. Proves that the N97 is a hugely profitable device for Nokia though.

Few years back Nokia were claiming that they were wanting to replace S40 with S60 devices - this is definitely starting to happen. They also stated an intention for the high end to be Maemo devices - thats already happening.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Founder / Chief

I think the timelines (with regards to platform development) are such that there's been an emphasis on mid tier and low end phones recently. However there's defintely some high end stuff on the way.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:46 PM
fakefur

@limestone ... don't waste your breath on reasoned arguments or comments ... here be nokia fanboys and apologists who can see nothing wrong with anything nokia do no matter how egregious

just pack up and move on to a high-end platform that has the support of a major *software* company behind it and don't look back ... you won't be alone