All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 24-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Samsung and Nokia trade places as Finns go on top

Nokia continues to lead the mobile handset market in the UK (reports Mobile News). Over the Christmas period, the Finnish company kept it’s share at just over 30%, reclaiming the top spot from Samsung, who dropped back to a 21% share.Third place went to Sony Ericsson.

Read on in the full article.

Old 24-03-2010, 03:39 PM

kevwright is on a distinguished road
Um, so its a shock to you that Apple does not feature in a listing of companies that sell the most mobile phones?

I am sure they will be most disappointed not to have topped a chart that includes such stunners as the Nokia 1200.

Actually, thinking about it, is it really "news" that Nokia sells more handsets than anyone else in the UK, are are we all getting a little bit too obsessed with numbers?

Kev

iPhone & Tech Blog at http://www.kevwright.co.uk

Old 24-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Unregistered

Why isn't this news? I find it interesting at least. UK is a very important market and Nokia dropped to 2nd spot in Germany, so i don't think this is about getting obsessed with numbers

Old 24-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevwright View Post
Um, so its a shock to you that Apple does not feature in a listing of companies that sell the most mobile phones?

I am sure they will be most disappointed not to have topped a chart that includes such stunners as the Nokia 1200.

Actually, thinking about it, is it really "news" that Nokia sells more handsets than anyone else in the UK, are are we all getting a little bit too obsessed with numbers?

Kev
no surprise to me that apple fan boys would come out on the defensive like usual,
its not app store sold X billion amount of apps so you all dont like listening to numbers

Old 24-03-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
no surprise to me that apple fan boys would come out on the defensive like usual,
its not app store sold X billion amount of apps so you all dont like listening to numbers
Apple fan boys? It was ONE comment.

OK, I am an Apple Fan boy, which by the way is not the insult you think it is :-)

Oh, and it was not me that mentioned Apple first, it was the original news item that seemed to be trying to somehow make it sound like it was some sort of negative that they were not included.

As for not liking listening to these numbers, well I don't really have a dislike of it, just struggle to see the relevance is all.

Kev

Ads

Old 24-03-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Why isn't this news? I find it interesting at least. UK is a very important market and Nokia dropped to 2nd spot in Germany, so i don't think this is about getting obsessed with numbers
I agree that the UK is an important market, just not sure the number of dumb handsets matters that much, unless it is a attempt to make it look like *Symbian* is doing really well when a large percentage of the numbers are likely as not 19.54 handsets like the Nokia 1200.

Kev

Old 24-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Jimmy1

Yeah, what is the breakdown of smart phone vs. dumbphone? I'd like to see a chart dealing with smart phone numbers.

Old 24-03-2010, 05:28 PM

germcevoy is on a distinguished road
whats it matter if it's high end or low end? The numbers show a break down of the big players in the UK marketplace. That's all. Sure Ewan did throw in a dig at the iPhone but he is correct. The iPhone gets so much press in the UK yet it is shown here to be a fairly insignificant device in terms of market share. If these numbers favoured Apple then we would most certainly be hearing a lot more about it.

Old 24-03-2010, 05:31 PM

roa1990 is on a distinguished road
i want to sell cvv cheap and fresh

I'm a hacker in Viet Nam . Now i have some shop and get many cc,
i need sell who need can contact me through.
List cc and frice i have :
- us (visa,master) = 2$
- us (amex,discover ) = 4$
- uk = 5$
- uk bin = 15$
- uk dob = 15$
- uk bin + dob = 20$
- au = 8$
- ca = 8$
- germany = 20$
- italy = 20$
- frank = 20$
And have very cc...
All very fresh and good ... who real need can pm me through
Y!H :mc_jackson78@yahoo.com
I only accept LR and Wu
I don't give test free or demo . If u want to test u can send moeny for cc test.
All customer if want buy cc from me must SEND MoNEY FIRST .
Thanks u read my topic and hope will bussiness with u
YH:mc_jackson78

Old 24-03-2010, 05:40 PM

dougalzene is on a distinguished road
@roa1990

hal mutch cledit car fromm Viet Nam?

Old 24-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevwright View Post

OK, I am an Apple Fan boy, which by the way is not the insult you think it is :-)
Fan boy is definitely pejorative. Puts me in mind of brainless suckers.

Old 24-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by germcevoy View Post
whats it matter if it's high end or low end?
Oh, come on.

You're really going to compare the sales numbers for S40 phones free on contract, the same with high priced smart phones? Really?

I'm just saying that if somebody is going to crow about numbers, be up front about those numbers.

I suspect that in smartphones, RIM took the lead in the UK (and in most of Western Europe). It's only anecdotal, but I was in Italy and Greece last summer visiting family. I must say that I was surprised how many 20-somethings I saw using Blackberries in sidewalk cafes and and a few nightclubs I went to. I did notice a bunch of Nokias, but they were the candy bar T9 type. I also saw a lot of Samsung touch screens and even an iPhone or two.

Old 24-03-2010, 09:03 PM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post
Yeah, what is the breakdown of smart phone vs. dumbphone? I'd like to see a chart dealing with smart phone numbers.
If the Opera icon is there then its not a smartphone!

Old 24-03-2010, 09:18 PM

germcevoy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Oh, come on.

You're really going to compare the sales numbers for S40 phones free on contract, the same with high priced smart phones? Really?

I'm just saying that if somebody is going to crow about numbers, be up front about those numbers.

I suspect that in smartphones, RIM took the lead in the UK (and in most of Western Europe). It's only anecdotal, but I was in Italy and Greece last summer visiting family. I must say that I was surprised how many 20-somethings I saw using Blackberries in sidewalk cafes and and a few nightclubs I went to. I did notice a bunch of Nokias, but they were the candy bar T9 type. I also saw a lot of Samsung touch screens and even an iPhone or two.
When the numbers presented bundle all devices into the one pot then yea that's how it will be viewed. Hopefully a more specific breakdown of device types (smartphone, touchscreen whatever. . ) pops up but these numbers show the whole UK market so we can't say 'well so, because all Nokias cost 19.95'.

That's not to say iPhone sucks or whatever. I just don't understand the amount of press it still gets in relation to its market share here in the UK (as shown in these figures). I hope for more numbers

Old 24-03-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post
There are loads, but most of them are US biased, so Nokia does not even feature in them :-)

Here is a recent one that does include Symbian, but does not break it down to Nokia as such.

http://bit.ly/bUoO5m

Kev