All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-04-2010, 01:31 PM

sjoewert300 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00byd00byd00 View Post
It shattered when you were attempting a fix or just in general ? can talk you through it if you want ? Let us know @ I'll pm u my number
No fix, it fell out of my pocket onto the street while cycling.. Then the glass front broke.
So I was looking around on google and ebay to buy a new glass front, and how to repair it yourself. I found this one on eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=370354055095 But there's no manual or something on how to fix it.
So I thought maybe you could help me out^^

Old 02-04-2010, 04:41 PM

sc00byd00byd00 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjoewert300 View Post
No fix, it fell out of my pocket onto the street while cycling.. Then the glass front broke.
So I was looking around on google and ebay to buy a new glass front, and how to repair it yourself. I found this one on eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=370354055095 But there's no manual or something on how to fix it.
So I thought maybe you could help me out^^
No worries. Unless your ok at takin stuff apart and putting it back together again, I'd advise against this, knowing what I know, for the little extra it costs, it's worth buying a whole replacement front, I'll take some pictures later on how I did it then post them 4 u.

Theres no SNOOZE button on a Cat that wants his Breakfast !!!!

Old 02-04-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00byd00byd00 View Post
No worries. Unless your ok at takin stuff apart and putting it back together again, I'd advise against this, knowing what I know, for the little extra it costs, it's worth buying a whole replacement front, I'll take some pictures later on how I did it then post them 4 u.
Thanks for your reply,

I'm pretty sure I'll be fine with disassembling and assembling the product..
Especially with the help of the video (Youtube.com)!
I'd love to see some pictures of your small project.. Nothing has to happen in a rush since I still have to order the glass piece

looking forward to hearing from you!

regards..
Ads

Old 27-04-2010, 03:37 PM

stephencraib is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavi14 View Post
Hi, i must say, its quite impossible to remove the scratched glass as it is glued to the PCB!

Mine fell and a piece of glass came out, I had to change the complete front with the D-Pad and everything! Thats going to cost you.
I would just like to say that it is NOT impossible to remove and change the glass front on a N86 as i have just changed mine after dropping and cracking the glass.
Its not easy and take a bit of time and great care but it can be done.
Mine looks better than new now with a white glass front!

Old 13-05-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephencraib View Post
I would just like to say that it is NOT impossible to remove and change the glass front on a N86 as i have just changed mine after dropping and cracking the glass.
Its not easy and take a bit of time and great care but it can be done.
Mine looks better than new now with a white glass front!
But could you then please help me with my thing. I got my new glass part today, and i'm as far as taking out the keys (green, red, clear, menu)
how to continue??

Old 25-08-2010, 05:17 AM

mice3d is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up How to fix the glass screen facia on a Nokia N86!

Hi, I had the problem that my glass broke, just around the joystick button (I jumped in the car and it went crack!

So I replaced it... and here is what I did,

1) go to http://www.cnn.cn and buy the screen (I brought two just in case! and now have a white face on the black phone), Also buy the case opening plastic tools, they are great!

2) I didnt remove any screws, I just picked at the glass with the tools I brought. starting at where it had cracked and moving around to the top of the screen.

Remember to wear safety glasses as splinters will fly up!

3) The plastic sticky stuff gets removed at the same time as the glass, just have to be careful around the circuit board, which is only attached above the two top buttons, the best way is to go in from the top and slice down with the tools to not to break them. but I didnt find this difficult.

4) the buttons, they just remove as you pull the glass up. The joy stick button has a bit of rubber around the edge of it, just press it down as you pull the glass up. There is also the speaker gause to remove, just pull it of and remove all the sticky stuff around it. and just be aware that there is a plastic bit on the left arial that removes as well

5) clean most of the sticky stuff away, (I wasnt that thorough, just so there are no lumps), and place the new sticky pad that came with the new glass in its place and pull the screen bit off, put all the buttons back (they only fit in one way, so no mistaking buttons. and put the plastic arial thing and gause in place, and finally press the new front facia on...

and hopefully like me all is working great! took about 20 minutes and no damage to the phone as all tools where plastic.

Good Luck!

Last edited by mice3d; 25-08-2010 at 05:18 AM. Reason: thought id change the title

Old 06-11-2010, 03:01 PM

ballochboy is on a distinguished road
My phone slipped out my hand and the glass screen smashed but the LCD was ok. found this guy on you tube showing you how to disassemble the phone (vid1) with him showing in a second vid about replacing the glass screen (vid2) and finally a link to ebay where you can buy a screen

(vid1) http://www.youtube.com/user/colaptic...12/vQG7r796e48

(vid2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf58iVB124A

(ebay) http://cgi.ebay.com/GENUINE-ORIGINAL...t_1602wt_1139/

This is what I'm going to do !