All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 19-06-2009, 09:31 AM

maartenmk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZ View Post
In these reviews I never find comments about the camera beiing fast or slow. N95 is so slow in autofocus that it is almost impossible to take pictures fast. Has this issue been solved ? For some it could be more important than UBER quality since phones are many times used to take quick pictures not to make photo books ...
Slightly offtopic, but hopefully helpful: If you quickly press the camera key fully, it will skip the focus and make the picture directly (works on N82 at least). I guess it will focus on infinity, but this is often usable.
Alternatively, set the preset to landscape (but override the sharpness setting)

Last edited by maartenmk; 19-06-2009 at 09:33 AM.

Old 19-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Very nice and fine review
However the quality of low light photos ans videos will decide the real worth of this phone
LOL! A smartphone judged on a single feature? Don't think so.

Old 19-06-2009, 12:10 PM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
Has it got anything like the N95's video editor?

Old 19-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Unregistered

nice overview rafe i made my decision eagerly awaiting the n86 as the real succesor of my old n95 i had a 5800 xm but camera sucks big time hope the n86 can give us an overall beter camera experience than n82

Old 19-06-2009, 01:48 PM

jrmt is on a distinguished road
Heh, I love the first panorama shot where you appear 5 times in it! Clever

Old 19-06-2009, 02:00 PM

argh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZ View Post
In these reviews I never find comments about the camera beiing fast or slow. N95 is so slow in autofocus that it is almost impossible to take pictures fast. Has this issue been solved ? For some it could be more important than UBER quality since phones are many times used to take quick pictures not to make photo books ...
Slow? Maybe compared to a "real" camera. Comparing it to the HTC auto-focus devices, it's like lightning!

Old 19-06-2009, 02:03 PM

tkboxer is on a distinguished road
N86 vs N97 and E72

If firmware updates and software development are weighty concerns to you than you may want to choose either the N97 or E72 as these phones will far outsell the N86.
If your main concern is media creation in a mobile phone you will want to choose the N86 which will have one of the best cameras ever seen in a mobile phone. If you are a current N95 owner as I am this will be a difficult choice. Part of me wants to get the N86 and part of me really wants to go to a qwerty keyboard.

Old 19-06-2009, 02:06 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalidraffali View Post
looking forward to the camera comparison with the n82.
So do I... at night and interior!
Ads

Old 19-06-2009, 02:30 PM

tawalker is on a distinguished road
@neilhoskins:

Quote:
Has it got anything like the N95's video editor?
Nice to see there's someone else who values that - I'm hanging onto my N95 "classic" for a number of reasons, and believe it or not, the video editor is one of them. Why on earth did Nokia drop this from the N95's descendants, and couldn't they at least make the editor available as a separate installer for those who want it?

Stil, the N86 looks like the best attempt yet at a true N95 replacement, and maybe some time in the next 1-2 years, Nokia might put out a handset which ticks all the same boxes as the N95 and then some. I mean, how hard can it be after all this time?

(BTW: is it my imagination, or at some stage in the N95's firmware development, did they change the video editor so it can render output at 640x480 without running out of memory?)

Old 19-06-2009, 05:22 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
From the conclusion:
Quote:
At one level, it all comes down to whether you want another QVGA device or not... However, that's a very easy question to answer.
T,FTFY.

Old 19-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Unregistered

N86

Got the N86 from Carphone Warehouse,an the phone looks Brilliant,people are saying its heavy but i don"t think its to heavy at all,The Indigo/blue colour looks very good indeed instead of Black all the time,the one thing i found on the N86 is the Speakers as on my N95 8gb they were position an either sde of the mobile but the N86 Speakers are on the same side,an the speakers do not seem as loud as my N95 8gb,i like the slide lock button idea from Nokia as you get feed up pressing the buttons on mobiles to unlock it but the N86 slide unlock button is a Very idea from Nokia,but i wonder if Nokia could have made N86 display been turned off until you unlock the slide like they did with the 5800 ,will be getting the camera tested out tomorrow night seeing what the N86 images are good an bad,but uptil now the N86 is a very good mobile to purchase

Old 19-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Unregistered

"Technical limitations means that S60 3.2 is stuck on QVGA"

I don't think so. E90 also ran on S60 3.1 and it had a WVGA screen.

Old 19-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Just wanted to let you know that I'll get to answering some of these comments tomorrow. Sorry for the delay but been a busy day elsewhere and too tired to do everything justice.

Please do keep asking questions.

And let me know if there's specific camera comparisons you would like to see and I'll see what I can do.

Attahched is something to keep you going - question is - which one is the N86!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg echo.jpg (147.8 KB, 15 views)

Old 20-06-2009, 12:06 AM

kucing_kampung is on a distinguished road
Red face

Err...the one with tongue sticking out? ;-)

Have to admit I've given up hope for any camera on any phone for real shooting (had an N95, now given it away to my better half). Now I'm with the 5800 and E71...both with 3.2 megapixel...good enough for casual snapshots though.

Will wait until the camera review bits come :-)

Cheers.

Old 20-06-2009, 12:43 AM
Unregistered

hi rafe i wanted to see how the n86 would stand against the phones with xenon flash like samsung g810, se c905, nokia n82 and innov8