All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 18-07-2009, 09:34 AM

shewhowearsred is on a distinguished road
Same here-- no updates available, either OTA or via NSU. I'm also not getting the software updates (Ovi Maps 3.1, etc.) that the others are getting. I bought my N86 in the Philippines.

Old 14-09-2009, 06:16 PM

lenin_74 is on a distinguished road
my experience

Hi all,
I thought i will post some of my experiences with the new firmware which i updated recently thro NSU.
Good points:
1.I have not had even one freeze or hangup after updating.
2. The GPS signal with Garmin mobile installed is just amazing, i get a satellite lock under 1 min with it and after that i can even close the slide without losing the signal.
3. The buggy startup and shutdown is much quicker.

Not so good points:
1. The firmware is now unhackable, ie once i changed the product code i was unable to chage it back to the original with NSS.
2. The network reception was absolute crap previously but little better now, but even my very old nokia 3230 has a better reception than the n86 with the new firmware. Hopefully this will be addressed in the next update, if there is one.
3. I had to do a hard reset to play video recordings because strangely there would be no video only sound.

I don't know if anyone experienced problems with network reception before and after update

Old 05-12-2009, 11:23 AM

davesmith is on a distinguished road
since updating my N86, I've been unable to play certain videos that played before. a message pops up and says its unable to play video and audio. really odd as it worked before under previous firmware. It took me a few weeks to discover this problem. As I play videos more than I need face detection I'm thinking of trying to get the previous version as this is annoying.
anyone also had this ? or know a solution?

Old 09-12-2009, 06:33 PM

davesmith is on a distinguished road
Just thought I'd say. Found solution, was to do a hardware reset *#7370#. Then do not restore your settings. Obvious bug in firmware.
Another bug is that if you have music player paused and you answer a call, when the call is ended it will start playing again even if you weren't playing anything before the call.
My suggestion is not to update and wait to another version comes out. Too many bugs and the only gain is face recognition gimic

Old 09-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmith View Post
Just thought I'd say. Found solution, was to do a hardware reset *#7370#. Then do not restore your settings. Obvious bug in firmware.
Another bug is that if you have music player paused and you answer a call, when the call is ended it will start playing again even if you weren't playing anything before the call.
My suggestion is not to update and wait to another version comes out. Too many bugs and the only gain is face recognition gimic
Absolutely true! Completely agree with you there mate. I wish i had stuck to v11, rather than v20. God knows when the next update will be available.

With the news out that 2010 Nokia will only release maybe 2/3 new handsets i really hope they put some time and effort into advertising and marketing the N86 more and obviously spending time in the FW dept. making the phone as best as it can be. It really is under-rated however it's one of the best phones out there for those who don't want Nokia touchscreen phones.
Ads

Old 10-12-2009, 07:34 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmith View Post
Agreed. Damian, if you're still reading this thread, please do what you can to nudge the appropriate people. The N86 is a stunning phone that's currently crippled for day-to-day use by some silly bugs/quirks. We ALL want it to live up to potential.

8-)

Old 11-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Unregistered

Still no reply. Guess they must be keeping their cards close to their chests. The more i think about it, i wouldn't be surprised if their was no new firmware at all. It's a shame, because the N86 deserves much better.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:00 AM

darrensmits is on a distinguished road
The Nokia N86 8MP is in the midst of a firmware update, taking it to Firmware Version v11.043. The Nokia N86 8MP is the first 8-Megapixel camera on a Nokia smartphone and the update helps to improve image quality to ‘half light’ pictures and offers a general better imaging experience, especially in video. Check out what else the Nokia N86 8MP v11.043 update has to offer…
The Nokia N86 8MP is quickly becoming one of our favourite Nokia smartphones of the year. You can check out our Nokia N86 8MP review and even our Nokia N86 8MP camera review to find out more.
The Nokia N86 8MP has received a firmware update to Version v11.043, which along with improving stability and fixing general bugs in the current firmware, also brings with it a number of camera improvements. The firmware update brings with it better handling of images, especially in video mode and even brings big improvements to Browser, Share Online, Camera, Settings Wizards.
Of the new features you’ll now find that Downloads! Has been replaced by Ovi Store and the service launcher is now pre-loaded in the device. Nokia Maps has been updated to version 3.0.1 and orientation functionality improved in Landscape mode.
This update is available as part of NSU (Nokia Software Updater) as well as OTA (Over The Air) services, so you won’t need to back up your Nokia N86 8MP, but it’s always advisable just in case.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmits View Post
The Nokia N86 8MP is in the midst of a firmware update, taking it to Firmware Version v11.043. The Nokia N86 8MP is the first 8-Megapixel camera on a Nokia smartphone and the update helps to improve image quality to ‘half light’ pictures and offers a general better imaging experience, especially in video. Check out what else the Nokia N86 8MP v11.043 update has to offer…
The Nokia N86 8MP is quickly becoming one of our favourite Nokia smartphones of the year. You can check out our Nokia N86 8MP review and even our Nokia N86 8MP camera review to find out more.
The Nokia N86 8MP has received a firmware update to Version v11.043, which along with improving stability and fixing general bugs in the current firmware, also brings with it a number of camera improvements. The firmware update brings with it better handling of images, especially in video mode and even brings big improvements to Browser, Share Online, Camera, Settings Wizards.
Of the new features you’ll now find that Downloads! Has been replaced by Ovi Store and the service launcher is now pre-loaded in the device. Nokia Maps has been updated to version 3.0.1 and orientation functionality improved in Landscape mode.
This update is available as part of NSU (Nokia Software Updater) as well as OTA (Over The Air) services, so you won’t need to back up your Nokia N86 8MP, but it’s always advisable just in case.
What the hell are you talking about you muppet?! We've already had v11! Some of us are now on v20 and patiently waiting for v21.