All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 02-12-2009, 12:47 PM

adi_pie is on a distinguished road
Though I could use my N97 one-handed, the large screen was a joy to watch movies on and I miss the fact that I could touch the UI elements I wanted to access, not being able to use a touch-screen device without looking at it was only slightly annoying but the main reason I gave up on the N97 and went back to my failing E90 was the fact that it moved too slowly.
So I guess I like touch-screen phones overall but I won't use one if I have to sacrifice speed.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:35 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Let's play "Who wants to be a multi-millionaire"! Do you want to be a multi-millionaire? To help you decide, we've compiled this handy list of pros and cons:

Pros:
- Able to afford whatever you want
Cons:
- Have to pay more taxes
- Unsure if people loves you only for your money
- In constant fear that you or someone close will be kidnapped and held for ransom
- Your Lamborghini has a very small interior and uncomfortably hard leather seats

With so few positives and so many negatives, we hope our list has convinced that being a multi-millionaire isn't all that's cracked up to be, and made you realise how lucky you are to be poor!

Old 02-12-2009, 02:58 PM

dlff is on a distinguished road
TOUCHSCREEN v NON-TOUCHSCREEN

My first experience with touchscreen phone was the HTC Touch back in 2007 & subsequently followed by Samsung F480 in 2008, N5800 in Jan. 2009, iphone 3G in April 2009, 3GS in July 2009 & last but not least Satio this month.
Prior to my experience with iphone. I did not care much about touchscreen but now is a different story. The iphone brings a completely new experience to it.
I have no qualm switching from a touch to non-touch. Having said that, I do have a problem when I use two different touchscreen phone like the iphone & the Satio. Immediately you would notice how laggy the Satio UI is & so much so that at times is a real frustration to use it. IMO, the iphone touchscreen is the most responsive UI I have ever used. The Symbian S60 touchscreen still have a long way to go. I am tempted to try the N97 Mini. Can everyone tell me more about the responsivness & speed of the Mini's UI? Surely, it has to be better than the Satio. Not only the UI is slow but the software is buggy as well. Well. my Satio is now in SE service centre waiting to be rectified.
I still maintain that the iphone is still a crap phone when it comes to functionality & practicality. It has too much constraint as a phone & even a S40 phone works better in that respect.
Ads

Old 02-12-2009, 05:09 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
On my work desk i usually have an mix of company and non company devices ranging from Nokia 3109c's up to HTC Diamond, Touch, Touch Pro 2, Palm Treo's, E71's, various blackberry's, and the occasional oddball device (eg; SGH- i200), Iphone's and recently a couple of N97 mini's. (i've become the designated 'phone guy' due to my sad addiction).

Several of the non-touch devices have repeated fingerprint marks on them. usually when i'm setting up a touch in one hand and a non-touch in the other. "why doesn't this screen work.....oh, duh!"

I think I'm kind of in the middle as far as touch vs non-touch. i can scoot round either quickly and easily. PROVIDED of course that the interface allows this. Some are easy, some are hard, touch/non-touch not withstanding.

But i lean more toward touch. For me its because i also lean toward having a larger screen. Like the PC World advert says "Media is my world", plus maps, and browsing. You can't have a screen that kind of size (3.5" and up) and a physical keyboard without making a big phone even bigger.

I've also got large fingers, so the E71's, Treo's, and Blackberry's are fiddly for me, i need a larger keyboard, physical or virtual. As i'm not enamoured by any of the physical large keyboard devices (the TP2 comes close though), i pick a virtual keyboard device.

Last edited by UKJeeper; 02-12-2009 at 05:12 PM.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:28 PM

wampyre is on a distinguished road
Great points as usual.

I've only got one thing to point out and that is precision.
Using a D-pad is slightly more accurate in selecting things than touching it (Without a stylus).
At least that is the case when it comes to handsets made by Nokia.
Also in most occasions you have that the touch is (immediately) not recognized.
(This also is the case with the O' mighty iPhone, though I believe wiping the screen improve this).

There is in general a more "pause" before something gets done when using a touch screen as you need to wait milliseconds more.
The experience is not that smooth as when using physical buttons.

Really liked your point about controlling music, the same goes for texting messages on the go which can't be done without watching the screen on touch enabled handsets.

When it comes to form factors the N97 has the one suitable for me. A navigation button which I use frequently and a (half?) qwerty keyboard.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:21 PM

phonophiliac is on a distinguished road
Touch +

For me, the most ideal solution would be my E71 and n95 having touch screens. Why does it have to be one or the other?

Old 02-12-2009, 09:02 PM

BillF is on a distinguished road
In pocket use of touch screen device

Don't want to contradict Steve but, on the iPhone 3Gs, and I suspect many other touch devices, it is quite possible to control music, podcasts etc while in pocket by using voice commands and supplied headset with device. eg press and hold headset on microphone bulge until you hear double beep and say "play playlist Katie Melua", "shuffle", or even "Call Steve Litchfield" etc. If you have a podcast or music paused you can use the headset to unpause, jump to next track etc by clicking. On other devices I expect there are dedicated music keys on the edge of the device rather than on the headset. This needs taking off the "con" side as it is touch / non-touch agnostic.

Bill

Old 02-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Unregistered

Talking touch or not?

i have N97, E72, N82, 6700, Ipod Touch, IPAQ.....so i don't have to choose whether to touch or not....Rejoice!

Old 03-12-2009, 03:02 AM
Unregistered

But is touch necessary for a phone?

Got the 5800XM and then an E71 for when the 5800XM was being fixed/replaced (I'm on my third 5800XM in 5 months) and I have to say, the E71 is my phone of choice, it seems bulletproof, software and hardware-wise, the opposite of my problem-prone 5800.

I suspect that touch is better suited to dedicated media players, but if you can shoehorn it onto a media-centric phone without making a disaster of early firmware releases... Ahem! SE...? Touch is not going away any time soon, I suspect the real question is about how many hands you need to hold your phone to use its basic functions.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:05 AM
yitwave

Touch + Keys/Qwerty combined

There will always be demand for keys and there will always be some who enjoy the large screen for play.

But there is also a middle ground, like the N97, which has more bulk...

So why not have: E55 / E72 / E75 with a touch sensitive screen?

yes the screen is still 2.4", but add touch you've got got the direct quicker access if you want. Given S60v5 is optimized so you can still fully control the O/S via keypad + 2 soft keys on the screen, i can imagine having the next E75 having a touch sensitive screen.

Have the touch screen capacitive with glass up front and it'd be just as robust

Old 03-12-2009, 07:38 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillF View Post
Don't want to contradict Steve but, on the iPhone 3Gs, and I suspect many other touch devices, it is quite possible to control music, podcasts etc while in pocket by using voice commands and supplied headset with device. eg press and hold headset on microphone bulge until you hear double beep and say "play playlist Katie Melua", "shuffle", or even "Call Steve Litchfield" etc. If you have a podcast or music paused you can use the headset to unpause, jump to next track etc by clicking.
Great point. Actually, yes, on almost every phone you can use a play/pause/skip remote unit in the headphone lead - must dig mine out! 8-)

Old 03-12-2009, 07:51 AM
Unregistered

Yes but what about gaming?

These new touch interfaces are very nice and in the case of the iPhone easy enough for granny to use, but the big problem is gaming.
I use my E90 for everything, including gaming. I have Quake, Doom, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance and Genesis emulators and a whole truckload of native S60 and Java games. Now, how're you going to run a GBA emulator without buttons? I've seen a lot of the iphone so called games and they seem to be universally pants, a technology demonstrator to make people go "oohhh" and "aahh" but with no real hook. I'm hacking through Colin Macrea Rally on the GBA emulator at the moment - fantastic!

Old 03-12-2009, 07:52 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonophiliac View Post
For me, the most ideal solution would be my E71 and n95 having touch screens. Why does it have to be one or the other?
Exactly ! Thats what I've been wanting since before 5800 was launched..
My guess is touch screens require some space for their hardware, increasing the thickness of the N95 or E71..

Or maybe companies feel producing such small touch screens is unprofitable ?

Old 04-12-2009, 11:15 PM

sicofante is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yitwave View Post
There will always be demand for keys and there will always be some who enjoy the large screen for play.

But there is also a middle ground, like the N97, which has more bulk...

So why not have: E55 / E72 / E75 with a touch sensitive screen?

yes the screen is still 2.4", but add touch you've got got the direct quicker access if you want. Given S60v5 is optimized so you can still fully control the O/S via keypad + 2 soft keys on the screen, i can imagine having the next E75 having a touch sensitive screen.

Have the touch screen capacitive with glass up front and it'd be just as robust
I agree. Or design a touchscreen phone for one-handed use and I might think of leaving my lovely non-touch E51 (or E52 or whatever successors there are).

I guess designers of touchscreens have a long way to go until they provide different form factors for different needs. I will NEVER buy a phone that requires me to use two hands and I believe I'm not alone.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:35 AM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillF View Post
Don't want to contradict Steve but, on the iPhone 3Gs, and I suspect many other touch devices, it is quite possible to control music, podcasts etc while in pocket by using voice commands and supplied headset with device. eg press and hold headset on microphone bulge until you hear double beep and say "play playlist Katie Melua", "shuffle", or even "Call Steve Litchfield" etc. If you have a podcast or music paused you can use the headset to unpause, jump to next track etc by clicking. On other devices I expect there are dedicated music keys on the edge of the device rather than on the headset. This needs taking off the "con" side as it is touch / non-touch agnostic.

Bill
Unfortunately this only works if you use Apple's crappy quality supplied headset. They should do what most other music phone providers do and put a 3.5 socket onto the control cable so you can use your own preferred buds/phones etc.