All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-09-2003, 06:31 PM

lars is on a distinguished road
nes/snes emulator

is there a nes of snes emulator for 3650 or if it isn't is it possible to make a snes or nes emulator for 3650?

Old 03-09-2003, 06:58 PM

bluescreenkid is on a distinguished road
Yeah I would love to play mario kart on my phone ???

BSK

Don't be afraid... Windows isn't real... It's just a fairytale linux users use to scare their kids...

Old 05-09-2003, 05:57 PM

Would also be cool to have an Amiga 500 emulator!!!! 8) :P

Old 15-09-2003, 02:18 AM

nes yeah, snes nope, not powerfull enough to emulate the console.

Old 15-09-2003, 04:44 PM

SymbianSeries60Man is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreenkid
Yeah I would love to play mario kart on my phone ???

BSK
MGS Karting is just as good

Old 15-09-2003, 11:02 PM

johngannon is on a distinguished road
MGS Karting is just as good"

Hardly. MK is far, far, far superior to MGS Karting.

Old 12-10-2003, 08:05 PM
GBA

What about a Gameboy Advanced Emulator for Symbian! THAT WOULD BE DOPE! Fuckin like BoF and FFT on my phone!

Old 19-04-2004, 11:33 PM
GUEST_15216423

Exclamation

Quote:
nes yeah, snes nope, not powerfull enough to emulate the console.
THATS BULL,
- THE SNES HAS A 16-BIT CISC CPU@3.9 MHz,
- s60 PHONES USE 32-BIT RISC CPU's @ 100 MHz at least.(ngage 104 MHz,SX-1 130 MHz...)
THUS SNES EMULATION IS MORE THAN POSSIBLE,BUT GOOD PROGRAMERS ARE NEEDED FOR THAT TO HAPPEN, IN THE FUTURE MAYBE???
ALSO A GOOD IDEA IS A NEC TURBO GRAFX 16 EMULATOR...

Old 29-05-2004, 10:39 AM

Neko is on a distinguished road
hi,

well.... yes and no. it's pushing it a bit.

true, the snes's specs are far beneath the phone's specs, but when emulating a games console, a lot of cpu time gets eaten up in order to emulate the various dedicated audio / video chips etc inside the snes.

that's not to say it's impossible. i remember when i had a 300mhz machine, and it could still run snes9x, just about convincingly enough to have no choppy audio and a decent framerate. no doubt the code is a bit tighter now, and if you ran it on a phone, you could take a few other optimizations; the screen is smaller, for one thing, so you don't have to work so hard on the graphics.

it's still just a little too difficult though, IMHO. get the GBA running first, at least it was designed for the smaller screen.

-Neko

Old 29-05-2004, 10:01 PM
Ota

I'm quite sure GBA emulator is NOT possible on the Gage, since Gage:103Mhz, GBA: about 133Mhz, and gba has some 2d graphical effects which the ngage hasn't. SNES is quite possible, tho I'm not sure about texts on the small screen. But it's been done, Picodrive is doing quite fine, running most games at a formidable speed (not 100% emulation yet, but it's going very good). Only problem is small screen+text tho

Old 30-05-2004, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ota
I'm quite sure GBA emulator is NOT possible on the Gage, since Gage:103Mhz, GBA: about 133Mhz, and gba has some 2d graphical effects which the ngage hasn't. SNES is quite possible, tho I'm not sure about texts on the small screen. But it's been done, Picodrive is doing quite fine, running most games at a formidable speed (not 100% emulation yet, but it's going very good). Only problem is small screen+text tho
I'm quiote sure you don't know what you are talking about.N-Gage: 104Mhz ARM9,GBA 16-17Mhz ARM7 + coprocessors.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 30-05-2004, 12:30 PM
Ota

Ghostdog: Then why did they have to make SonicN (Which is Sonic Advance actually) small-screen? Why did they "watered down" the graphics of Sims - Bustin' Out? Hmm? Hmm? I'm quite sure the N doesn't have as much power as the GBA (I suppose the problem might be the lack of co-processors and system memory in the Gage)
One thing: I got a Gage and don't have a GBA. Won't even plan to buy. I ain't no GBA fanboy, I'm just saying what I've experienced.
Ads

Old 30-05-2004, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
Ota,i didn't mean to be rude.Sorry if i was.I'm pretty sure that i'm not wrong about the CPU type and clock on the GBA.I spoke with the developers of PicoDrive and they said that GBA emulation is quite possible,they have moral issuess developing a GBA emulator though since the GBA games are still on sale and make a lot of proffit unlike Sega Genesis games.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 30-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Ota

I didn't take it as a rudeness, and didn't mean to be rude in my answer either. I'm not sure about the CPU clock and type of the GBA, just know that my Celeron 433Mhz cannot run GBA games at full speed with Visualboy advance.One thing GBA emulation is possible. It's been done on PC, so I don't see any moral problem about it on Gage either. Problem is: There is a working NeoGeo Pocket emu for Symbian, working at fancy 3 fps at the moment. So yeah, possible it is. Playable is another thing. Picodrive is going fine, but I still think most games are quite far from playable yet (Sonic series for example, running with a supersonic 15 fps at best).
In my opinion, developers should focus more on older consoles, since the emulators for NES or GB/C are quite slow, and I'm quite sure it's possible to do perfect NES, GB/C, MSX, Sega Master System, Game Gear and maybe even PCEngine emulation for the Gage. (Not to mention C64, but that was done already)

Old 30-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Wirelessly posted (NokiaN-Gage/1.0 SymbianOS/6.1 Series60/1.2 Profile/MIDP-1.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ota
I didn't take it as a rudeness, and didn't mean to be rude in my answer either. I'm not sure about the CPU clock and type of the GBA, just know that my Celeron 433Mhz cannot run GBA games at full speed with Visualboy advance.One thing GBA emulation is possible. It's been done on PC, so I don't see any moral problem about it on Gage either. Problem is: There is a working NeoGeo Pocket emu for Symbian, working at fancy 3 fps at the moment. So yeah, possible it is. Playable is another thing. Picodrive is going fine, but I still think most games are quite far from playable yet (Sonic series for example, running with a supersonic 15 fps at best).
In my opinion, developers should focus more on older consoles, since the emulators for NES or GB/C are quite slow, and I'm quite sure it's possible to do perfect NES, GB/C, MSX, Sega Master System, Game Gear and maybe even PCEngine emulation for the Gage. (Not to mention C64, but that was done already)
? Are we using the same PicoDrive emulator...? Dave's done an amazing job on the core and SomeOne (AG) on the Symbian port. Games such as Sonic are running great - about 25-30 fps i'd guess. I've just finished Sonic 2 using this emu, which runs a hell of alot better than SonicN for the n-gage. In fact most people seem to be complaining that games are actually running too fast. IMO the games this emu allows you to play is by far better than all of the S60 and Java games put together, even most (if not all) of the n-gage-specific games, in terms of game-play, not graphics. A GBA emu is certainly also possible (much lower CPU clock), it all (mostly) depends on the skill of the programmer(s).
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson