All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-08-2004, 03:56 AM

oliver_g is on a distinguished road
How to backup contacts and transfer messages

I have a 3650. I was wondering how i can backup my contacts which can be easily retrieved in case I lost my phone. I heard pc suite can do this. Is there any other way?

Also, I've been saving some of the text messages sent to me in the my folder's section of the phone. Can these messages be transferred to the computer?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-08-2004, 04:57 AM

Kamalayan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver_g
I have a 3650. I was wondering how i can backup my contacts which can be easily retrieved in case I lost my phone. I heard pc suite can do this. Is there any other way?

Also, I've been saving some of the text messages sent to me in the my folder's section of the phone. Can these messages be transferred to the computer?

Thanks in advance.
You can buy a program called Contacts Manager to back up your phone book so you can easily restore it after a format. I think theres also a way to locate the database of names using a file manager i hope someone confirms this.

Old 25-08-2004, 12:38 AM
Terry Fregly

6620 Nokia

any one know how to transfer the contacts from a older phone to this one . I tried susteen and the Nokia transfer suit and sycro in outlook can't get all the info just the names and a few ph numbers
Tfregly@ccc-net.com

Old 25-08-2004, 10:44 AM

Airwalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver_g

Thanks in advance.
In theory, you could just send all your contacts as business cards to your computer via either Bluetooth or Infa-red, like this...

Contacts > Options > Mark/Unmark > Mark all

and then...

Options > Send > Via Bluetooth or Infrared
Ads

Old 25-08-2004, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwalker
In theory, you could just send all your contacts as business cards to your computer via either Bluetooth or Infa-red, like this...

and then...

I tried marking them all and the SEND option only shows EMAIL.

Tried to send 1 contact and it did send, but where is it located? Its not in the Bluetooth Exchange Folder as where it should be. Where is it then?

Old 26-08-2004, 12:02 AM

pcofranc is on a distinguished road
I have a nokia 3650 and use PC Suite to back up the phone. I also sync with Outlook 2000. Bluetooth probably can do this without PC Suite but since PC suit is free and made for Nokia why not use it ?

The challenge:

Bluetooth can be a mofo to get working. And if your pc is very unstable or screwed up to begin with do even try. I pretty much have it down to a science. I keep very few pictures on my phone and I can do a total backup in less than 30 seconds. I connect with a single click on the computer and one 3 clicks on the phone. I created a seperate outlook profile and sync all my ph#s there and if I want to put a calendar appt with alarm I do that too.

PC suite is a power hog - it takes about 20-30 seconds to start. If you really invest the time and energy the pay off is fairly nice. But I invested around 12+ hrs to reach this nirvana.

Q: does your phone ever randomly shut off? I'm on my 3rd nokia 3650 from T-Mobile and all of them do it.

Paul
Nokia 3650

Old 26-08-2004, 12:04 AM

pcofranc is on a distinguished road
Also what you will need:

purchase a generic USB Bluetooth Dongle / adapter ~ $20-$30.

PC Suite - free dnload.

Follow instructions very carefully - I recommend Installing bluetooth drivers/software 1st, then plug in dongle, then if works and talks to phone install Nokia PC suite. It is quite complicated and trouble shooting is not easy.

The main cost is time and lots of frustration. I am very technical and I was quite challenged!

Paul

Old 26-08-2004, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcofranc
Also what you will need:

purchase a generic USB Bluetooth Dongle / adapter ~ $20-$30.

PC Suite - free dnload.

Follow instructions very carefully - I recommend Installing bluetooth drivers/software 1st, then plug in dongle, then if works and talks to phone install Nokia PC suite. It is quite complicated and trouble shooting is not easy.

The main cost is time and lots of frustration. I am very technical and I was quite challenged!

Paul
All that, for a simple mind like me, just makes me wanna just buy the Contacts Manager software. Yes it eliminates the challenge but also it doesnt waste your time specially if you havent any.

Old 25-05-2006, 11:15 AM

BigFurryMonster is on a distinguished road
Hi all,

Just noticed this thread. I've been looking for a long time to backup my contacts from my Nokia 3650 phone.

When I do

however, it won't give me the Send option anymore.

Installing PC Suite on my PC failed miserably. Boy, that is some bad piece of software!
I have a working Bluetooth connection, though.

I feel there must be some easy and cheap solution to this problem.
Anyone here to help a sad furry monster?

Thanks!
BigFurryMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwalker

and then...