All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia N80

Old 24-01-2007, 08:23 PM

SilentEcho13 is on a distinguished road
Database Corrupted, Cannot Format 2gb Transcend 80x MiniSD! (Nokia N80ie)

First post here, I'm having serious problems with my N80ie and a 2gb Transcend 80x MiniSD (Was bought from Amazon.com, can't post link because I don't have 10 posts)

The card seems authentic because it was sealed perfectly with a very large amount of manufacturer papers, and it also registered successfully on Transcendusa.com.

Basically, I put the card in the N80 and formatted it through the phone. It formatted successfully but when i plugged the phone in and put a few songs and pictures into the card, i get a "Database Corrupted. Some data could be missing" error in Gallery, and Music Player does not show any tracks even after updating the library. The camera works fine, it does save the pictures to the card, but I cannot view them in gallery. I can only view them on the computer. After that, the phone will not format the card. I tried formatting the card on the computer into FAT, I was unable to choose FAT16 for some reason. I've been working on this for hours and still have no success.

The card works fine through the computer, it allows me to transfer data to/from the card. The card also formats successfully on the computer.

I am not having this problem with the supplied Nokia 256mb card.
I even tried copying all files (including hidden) from the Nokia card to the Transcend.

This problem is making it very hard for me to get by because i have a very large amount of data that will not fit on the 256mb.

Has anyone else had this problem, if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks.

Old 24-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
there have been some issues with the FAT MMC setting with the earlier versions of N80 f/w.

What version are you on?

Old 25-01-2007, 01:46 AM

I'm using:
V4.0632.0.38
13-10-06
RM-92
Nokia N80 (556.01)

Old 25-01-2007, 03:12 AM

UPDATE: Card formatted in phone successfully, worked for a minute or 2, i took a picture and it showed up in the gallery. After that, I sent a ringtone via bluetooth, same problems started up again.

Old 25-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

ok... your on the same f/w version I am on.. Im using a 2GB MMC from mobymemory without any issues at all...

Maybe there is some fault with the card being read in the phone... or the formatting not translating to the symbian OS correctly.
Ads

Old 25-01-2007, 08:04 PM

What do you suggest I do?
The phone doesn't format the card correctly, and I'm not sure what to do on the computer..

Old 26-01-2007, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

well, you could send the card back for a replacement as faulty.

you could try and format in the N80, remove the card before you get any issues, copy over any hidden folders with your pc, format the card on your pc, and then put back the hidden folders.

The easiest thing is to try and see if you can get hold of another MMC. the fact your nokia ~MMC works fine points more to it being the card, but maybe if you tried another card that not nokia youd have the same issue. It could be down to the fact you dont have some of the correct files for running the card after you have formatted it?

Old 26-01-2007, 09:43 PM

Hmm I tried formatting on the computer, then copying all the files (including hidden) from the nokia MiniSD to the Transcend 2gb MiniSD.

Everything copied and read successfully from the computer, it's the phone that's still not working with that card...

Is there a way I can format into Fat16 from the computer instead of formatting as only FAT from windows explorer?

Do you know of any tools that can assist me with fixing a corrupted card?

I've tried getting to Transcend's tech support by email but they have yet to respond, it's been a few days now..

And when I call their tech support number (17149212000 ex2520) which was given to me by one of their main offices, I only get the answering machine of someone..

Old 26-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Ive just noticed on the change log that al18ex posted for his upgrade question 'is it worth it' mentions the problems with FAT16 formatted 2GB MMC's, but it says it cannot boot.

Maybe theres some underlying problem on your handset with the FAT system. I'd need to look into it elsewhere to give you a decent answer to your last question.

Old 27-01-2007, 03:40 AM

Hmm, hopefully it's just a faulty card, I'd be able to get it replaced by Transcend I guess..

So I'm pretty much stuck now i guess?

Old 27-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Id say so yeah, them or amazon...

can you try the card in anyone else phone??

Old 27-01-2007, 08:21 PM

No other phone is available except the N80 at the nokia kiosk at the mall heh, I'll try going there, or maybe an OTA f/w update?

Old 11-02-2007, 02:50 AM

UPDATE:
I received my 2gb card back from Transcend.
They sent me a brand new card. I put the card in the phone and it was recognized. When I formatted it, it formatted successfully. After that I put the card into my reader and copied every file/folder from the Nokia 256mb card to the new 2gb card. It copied successfully. When I put the card in the phone, none of my applications or my active standby apps showed up, even after restarting. After that, the card was read by the "Memory" app.

Now the problems start again, I get the same errors, and I am unable to format (I get the disk error: stop or retry).

This is the 2nd card I've tried.. Could the problem be with my phone?
I know that other people have used the same card and it had worked fine..

Old 11-08-2008, 11:08 PM

jsmonu is on a distinguished road
Question coincidence

Apparently, the same shit is happening with me.. using a 2Gb Kingston MMC with my N72 though..
I was able to format it in windows, and once even through the phone.. it would work for a short while, and then back to freezing phone, memory card not responding.. and gradually (soon enuf actually), it just said "Memory card corrupted!".
Gave me the option to straight away format it.. i even tried that .. again..!!
but still no luck.. card gone to dump..

I got a totally new card.. now that is working, however, gets stuck abruptly at any point at any time, and I can't find any logic or trend as to how/why that's happening..

Hoping some "GURU" can help me out..
else I'd be left with no other choice, than to burn a hole in my pocket and upgrade my phone.. :-/