All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-05-2007, 05:32 AM

raid517 is on a distinguished road
Help, I'm a little bit lost with my new N95???

Hi, OK well this is probably going to sound a bit odd, but at 39 years old I have managed to avoid using mobile phones pretty much all through the 1990's and 2K's - as really I just didn't (and never have) liked the ubiquitous nature of them and the fact that 'everyone's got one.'

I've never been much of a one for jumping on the bandwagon - and indeed this is why I avoid very popularly named branded products - as I just don't like the idea that I am so much of a sucker I can't think for myself. (Well this is what I tell myself anyway - it may or may not be true).

But I am a complete gadget nut - and after seeing a bunch of ads (yea I'm not such a free spirit really I guess as I'm a sucker for a good advertising campaign) and after reading a ton of reviews, I got the impression that the N95 might just be significantly different enough from any other phone to set it apart - so that I might not feel like just another member of the herd. After all (or so I reasoned) everyone may have a mobile phone - but not everyone has an N95!

But anyhoo the thing is I'm a bit lost with it.

The first thing that's bugging me is I installed Nokia software Updater and it is saying that there is no firmware update for my phone. (As a gadget nut, my first instinct is always to go for the most recent firmware update).

Admittedly my firmware version is the latest available from Orange (v 10.0.018) but it isn't the latest available from Nokia.

So my first question is, if I get the phone unlocked (which I have read how to do on this forum, by paying Orange 20 etc) will I then be able to use Nokia Software updater to flash my firmware up to the latest version? (Which is I believe v11.0.026 - although I could be wrong). It isn't just something I want to do for fun BTW, as there are the odd one or two glitches here and there that I have found - and hopefully this will resolve some of these.

Moreover once the phone is unlocked, will I still be able to use my Orange sim? It might seem a strange thing to ask, but I am planning on maybe travelling across Europe later in the year - so I am happy with Orange in the UK, but I may wish to switch to a more local provider, depending on the particular location I find myself in. (As hopefully this will save some money).

The second thing that's bugging me is the GPS functionality. Out of the box, it doesn't seem to be working - or at least it keeps complaining/giving an error message that it doesn't have any maps.

I always envisaged that GPS on the N95 would be like GPS in my in car navigation system (although possibly not quite as good) and that all of the maps would already be there - but am I to assume that I am to be forced to buy these maps separately if I want full GPS functionality on my phone?

How exactly does this work?

All I want is to be able to look at my phone, determine where I am on a map and determine how to get to where I want to be next. That was half the reason I got the N95, as it was meant to be a small handheld GPS device as well as a phone - and a lot of my trip would probably involve a great deal of walking and traveling on trains and public transport etc. I just thought it would be useful and fun to track my journey as I go.

Thirdly something else that is troubling me is I put a Pay as You Go Sim card in it and I paid for a 10 voucher - not much I know, but I am not likely to be a heavy user (and texts are something I will probably never use - email yes, but texts no). But after playing about with the network (and not actually calling or texting anyone yet) it seems I managed to drain through that 10 in the space of no more than an hour or so.

I have seen other people who's service providers give them 'free Internet access' on their phones. But largely this is just BS, as their web access is really very limited - and the access they do have is restricted exclusively on a small selection of web pages which are focused solely on selling additional goods and services for the service provider in question.

Looking at the Internet access options on the Orange N95, it didn't seem any different.

There was an option simply called 'Orange Internet' (not sure what that is about, but anyway), there was another option called Orange Java (again not sure what the score is here either) and then there was a final one called 'Orange MMS'. Again, it beats me what that's about too). (There was of course the standard WLAN service which I configured to connect to my home network - and which obviously doesn't cost a penny).

So what I want to know is firstly what are these services all about - and secondly do I have to pay to access them? The one I used most was the one called 'Orange Internet' - as this was required in order to access some services I was interested in when not in range of my WLAN.

Is this where my 10 went to so quickly? I didn't sign up for anything - and really as I said, as far as I could work out (although I didn't really look for that long) Orange do only provide limited Internet access in order to sell you additional goods and services etc. I imagined it was free in the same sense that looking in a shop window is free - but I wonder if it is possible that they have charged me simply for the privlidge of accessing their web site to look at what additional sevices they had on offer?

A couple of other things that cropped up from reading around this forum are, isn't the N95 supposed to have some kind of VOIP functionality too - and will unlocking the phone and flashing the firmware restore this functionality?

Again I'm sorry if these are dumb questions - but as I said, I know virtually zilch about the whole mobile phone thing - so I am kind of jumping in with both feet first with the N95.

Anyway any advice, or just general tips or hints anyone can offer would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

GJ

Old 13-05-2007, 06:14 AM

millski is on a distinguished road
Wow, that's an essay and a half! First up STOP USING ORANGE INTERNET! That's where your £10 went. It's internet from your phone provider (Orange) and you pay per mb you download/use. As you're on pay-as-you-go this is possibly the most expensive way of connecting to the internet available to the consumer. You're right, browsing by WLAN is free. So if you're at home always use your WLAN connection. Java lets the phone run applications and games, while MMS (multimedia messaging service) lets you send pictures and videos to other peoples phones via orange (again this will be quite expensive).

The web pages available to you in the phones web application are just a selection of recommended sites from orange; you can enter any web address you like through the menu/navigation and it should pop up. Some sites have separate pages to use with a mobile so they fit the screen properly (hotmail, ebay etc). You can find these addresses through google, of course.

You can update the phone by changing the 'product code'. Do a forum search to get plenty of help on that. Technically it invalidates your warranty, but you can just change it back after and keep the new firmware (I'm on orange too and it works just fine). This does not unlock the phone however, so you can only use orange sim cards. Unlocking the phone (sending it and £20 to orange) means it can use any sim card and be updated to new firmware. The alternative is to wait until Nokia add an orange specific version of the new firmware to their updater. This traditionally seems to take yonks.

The GPS seems a bit poor to me. When I first received my phone I could never get a signal. After updating to the new firmware it worked significantly better, however, and within minutes the phone was automatically downloading a map of the UK for me. Make sure you do this over wireless though, it's a big download. The map itself is free though, you only have to pay for the navigation service. That said the map software is poor compared to TomTom. I have TomTom installed too, but it doesn't support the internal GPS of the N95 yet :sigh:

Oh and orange and vodafone both removed the voip app; that's the reason the firmware is different (so they doubly screwed up the phone). Flashing to thew latest firmware restores it though

Last edited by millski; 13-05-2007 at 06:24 AM.
Ads

Old 13-05-2007, 06:41 AM

spendleb is on a distinguished road
I am with t-mobile and pay 7.50 a month for unlimited web browsing and its worth it as the browser is fantastic ! Can you really change the product code back to re validate your warranty ?

Old 13-05-2007, 06:44 AM

Thanks very much for having the patience to read what I wrote. I guess I could have answered some of these questions by reading the instruction manual - but that's not something most guys tend to do - and that manual if helluva thick too...

So yeah, the bottom line is update the firmware and download the UK maps via WLAN and I should be good to go?

What about maps of Europe? Can I install these somehow too? Will these cost extra money? Also, you have to pay to access the GPS service? I think I remember reading somewhere that this cost 40~ish pounds for something like 3 years or so - which is fair enough as this is probably longer than I will have the phone.

Anyway hopefully if I can figure out the firmware flash thing, the WLAN and bluetooth, GPS and a few other things with will be a bit more stable too.

It's alright I guess - but a lot of it still seems a bit glitchy really.

Old 13-05-2007, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spendleb View Post
I am with t-mobile and pay 7.50 a month for unlimited web browsing and its worth it as the browser is fantastic ! Can you really change the product code back to re validate your warranty ?
It doesn't re-validate your warranty, no. It is very unlikely that your operator will notice though, as the only way to tell it's ever been changed is if you tell them yourself.

Old 13-05-2007, 06:54 AM

@ raid517:

The update has removed every glitch I came across. The camera is faster, the GPS works and I haven't had a menu crash since updating. Just be aware that any apps, themes or games you have installed will be lost, as will any photos, ringtones whatever you have on your phone memory. Make a backup of your phone in pc suite and manually restore the bits from it. Using the phone's own restore service caused a few missing links on my phone, mainly because I'm using software that doesn't support the phone (though it works just fine).

Downloading maps is free, you just have to be wherever you want the map of. I think you may be able to download them with Nokias PC software. I can't remember the name of it and I haven't used it so that may be nonsense, I'll take a look. The GPS is free too - it's just the data you pay for, either for liscensing things like the navigation function or for the download via your phone service provider (orange internet). If you have to go to, say, France to download a map of France you would probably be without your WLAN access, meaning you not only pay the horrendous pay-as-you-go internet access charge but you probably pay a massive premium for doing it in a foreign country (ran up a massive bill in France once for looking at ebay for 30 mins).

::edit:: Nokia MapLoader is the pc application, more info and download here: http://europe.nokia.com/A4353384 Just used it and must say I'm rather impressed (I travel a lot too).

Last edited by millski; 13-05-2007 at 06:58 AM.

Old 13-05-2007, 08:40 AM

superswede is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid517 View Post
..So yeah, the bottom line is update the firmware and download the UK maps via WLAN and I should be good to go?

What about maps of Europe? Can I install these somehow too? Will these cost extra money? Also, you have to pay to access the GPS service? I think I remember reading somewhere that this cost £40~ish pounds for something like 3 years or so - which is fair enough as this is probably longer than I will have the phone.

Anyway hopefully if I can figure out the firmware flash thing, the WLAN and bluetooth, GPS and a few other things with will be a bit more stable too.

It's alright I guess - but a lot of it still seems a bit glitchy really.
Hey, crazy people! You should of course use Nokia Maploader (installs on PC) to download (preload) maps directly to your memory card instead of using the 2G/3G network on phone (...and save lots of money..). You can find it here:
http://europe.nokia.com/link?cid=PLAIN_TEXT_113360
or here...:
http://europe.nokia.com/A4353385

Regarding GPS: You have to pay for navigation service (voice and direction guidings). Pay for region and period (e.g. Scandinavia; 1w, 1m, 1y or 3y). The maps and localization (where am I on map...) aswell as the route planner is free of charge.

Old 13-05-2007, 08:48 AM

OK thanks, well I have read through all of the forum posts and am OK with the theory of debranding the N95.

Basically it involves installing Nemesis and changing the product code here and then using the Nokia software suite to do the debranding/firmware update.

What I'm not so clear on is the specifics.

In particular, I am not sure if this particular screen looks as it should?

I have a silver/stainless steel in appearance version of this phone.

When I installed Nemesis, it said something about needing new USB drivers to be installed. (Just prior to installation it asked me what device I would be using the software with, so I just went with the first option which was 'virtual USB connection' as I had no idea what, this or any of the other options were).

Anyway in the above image on the left hand side of Nemesis there are 5 fields. I assume I should change the product code? But if so what should I change it too. Also what about the rest of these fields? Should these be changed too, or should they all just be left empty?

Also on the center pane of this window there is a 'scan' button, under ''Actions' the list on the left remains empty until I hit this button - but is this what I should do? I mean should I press this scan button? I already pressed the scan button on the top right - but when I changed to this pane, the list remained empty until I pressed the centre scan button.

Also should I highlight/select either of Phone Version or Phone IMEI options on the left before proceeding - or are they OK as they are?

Sorry to be almost pedantic about this, but this is quite an expensive phone - and I am naturally very anxious not to mess it up.

Old 13-05-2007, 09:29 AM

Run nemesis with the default settings. On the right hand side hit the Read button, this should fill in the forms above it with your phone's information. Change the product code to whichever you want (I changed my plum orange to Euro1 plum, I'm guessing that's what you'll want to do too. Check the forum thread for product codes for the right number). Enable the checkbox next to product code and hit write. Job done

Last edited by millski; 13-05-2007 at 09:42 AM.

Old 13-05-2007, 09:42 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer I did a video - sorry about the sound ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN9eRlddfH0

the instructions for the various parts are in the text - links to the required software etc.

looks like you're half way done

Old 13-05-2007, 05:41 PM

OK I haven't got round to watching the video yet (but I will, thanks!). However I just want to check before I go ahead that everything is exactly as it should be.

So I apologise for the comment abuse in advance, but here are a series of images which show where I am at currently.

If someone could tell me if it all looks good, I would much appreciate it.

The thing that threw me was Nemesis giving a message after the install that it needed new USB drivers to work properly. I'm not sure if it was important, or maybe related to something else, but it does seem to read the phone's information OK anyway. (Or at least I think it does).

Can anyone please tell me if this looks right? (Again I'm only sweating so much, since the phone was pretty expensive, so I really don't want to screw it up).

OK first I start Nemesis:

I read somewhere I should press the button on the top right of this window, which said 'scan for new devices'. So this is what I did and this is what happened when I did it:

Here I got a little worried as it says something about "Please Copy The Loaders First!" (So I wondered if this might be some kind of error?

So next (as far as I understood it) I should click on the phone info button? If this is correct, then this is the screen I get next:

(Just for good measure, I clicked the "scan for new device" in the top right of this window too (marked in red)).

OK so next I hit the read button in this screen? So when I do this this is what happens:

Is this correct?

Anyway again I'm sorry about the comment abuse and the images - and I don't want to make it sound more complicated to me than it really is. It actually seems like a fairly simple process. But again I just want to look before I leap and make certain I've got it right before proceeding.

Also I'm still a little lost on which specific product code to use?

I am not even certain I know what a "plum orange" or what a "Euro1 plum" is?

All I do know is I have a Silver UK Nokia N95 and that it is locked to Orange.

It looks exactly like this:

Again I really do apologise for being so nearly pedantic about this, but I just want to make sure I don't end up with an expensive brick by doing it.

In any case, as things stand right now I don't have a choice. There are too many glitches still that make the phone not as useful as it should be not to upgrade. So I am hopeful that upgrading should resolve these.

Anyway if things work out maybe I will try to be helpful and use these images to make my own simple pictorial that I can post on these forums.

On another note - I am a bit of a homewbrew fan. (My last project was hacking the Sony PSP and playing around with all of the homewbrew it can use). Is the N95 in any way homebrew enabled? If so what apps. exist for it? If not are there any apps. that are not homebrew - but which I can still install anyway? Again if so, how can I find out what these are?

Last edited by raid517; 13-05-2007 at 05:43 PM.

Old 13-05-2007, 05:56 PM

OK, also reading on another forum, someone here says that you must change your product code *back* to the original product code after debranding - and warns of potential dire concequences if you don't.

http://www.expansys.com/ft.aspx?i=141579&thread=138

Is this correct?

Old 13-05-2007, 07:06 PM

OK I watched the video, but I screwd up a little - I forgot to copy my phone's original product code. So now I can't restore it.

(Actually I wonder if that's really kind of a big screw up?)

Anyway I used the product code in the video: 0534841

Now all I have to do is wait for a big ass old download (about 114MB), which looks like it will take about an hour (I just hope my PC doesn't crash before then. Not that it does often, but that would be just my luck).

Anyway thanks for the input guys, you've all been a lot of help.

Thanks!

Old 13-05-2007, 07:43 PM

shug is on a distinguished road
Your original product code was 0548170

Old 13-05-2007, 08:07 PM

Yeah, in the photo. Well spotted, thanks!

So I should change back to this after the update?

(It's taking ages to download this thing).