All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

  #1  
Old 05-03-2008, 12:48 PM
ironass's Avatar
ironass ironass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cotswolds, U.K.
Posts: 1,508
ironass is on a distinguished road
Missing Menu icon restored

OK, I know in the great scale of things that this revelation is not earth shattering but I want to share it with you nonetheless for my own peace of mind.
Since owning the N95 and then the N95 8GB I've noticed that the Menu icon would mysteriously appear and then disappear for no apparent reason. I tried everything to find out what made it do this. The icon would sometimes disappear for weeks on end and then suddenly show up, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for a day or two.
I sort of narrowed it's disappearance down to switching to landscape mode. I posted notes on forums and found that I was not alone in having a disappearing Menu icon (it's the same icon that's to the left of the Nav key).
I finally gave up when I saw official Nokia photo's which showed that the menu icon was not present on their devices.
However, since installing RotateMe by Samir, the Menu icons have returned as if by magic and if they do disappear, which is rarely, all I have to do is open up camera and tilt the phone and voila..... upon closing camera the icon has returned..... as shown in my screenshots.
Before any of you say anything.... I will seek treatment and get out more!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot0006.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	4118   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot0007.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	4119   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot0008.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	4120   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot0009.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	4121  

  #2  
Old 05-03-2008, 03:13 PM
kontraband's Avatar
kontraband kontraband is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,666
kontraband is on a distinguished road
I actually think I have no idea what you are on about?!
__________________

  #3  
Old 05-03-2008, 03:31 PM
chrsfrwll chrsfrwll is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 888
chrsfrwll is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kontraband View Post
I actually think I have no idea what you are on about?!
I'm glad a Super Mod said that because I'd been looking at it and thinking "what am I missing here?".
__________________
PIM evolution: filofax > psion organiser > psion 3 > psion 3a > psion 5 > palm > palm v > handspring visor > ipaq > 9300 > N80 > N95 > iPhone 3G, oops

  #4  
Old 05-03-2008, 05:12 PM
ironass's Avatar
ironass ironass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cotswolds, U.K.
Posts: 1,508
ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kontraband View Post
I actually think I have no idea what you are on about?!
Shame on you both!
The Menu icon is in the top left hand corner of the screenshots, next to the signal strength bar. Previously it has been missing on the N95 and N95 8GB (although it was there on the N80 and N80ie)
Here's a screenshot of it missing:-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot0002.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	4122  
Ads

  #5  
Old 05-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Bennett Bennett is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 54
Bennett is on a distinguished road
i dont have a menu icon in the top left corner of my n95 menu... never even noticed it

  #6  
Old 05-03-2008, 06:33 PM
The_Vindicator The_Vindicator is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sheffield, UK
Posts: 51
The_Vindicator is on a distinguished road
i cant say im missing mine :/
my icons are bigger without it

  #7  
Old 05-03-2008, 06:38 PM
waxup waxup is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 436
waxup is on a distinguished road
I notice that in both examples you are using a different theme from when it's present to when it's not there. That could be the reason?
__________________
CanadianRoll.ca

Rosa Parks is my idol for I too refuse to get up out of my seat.

  #8  
Old 05-03-2008, 07:33 PM
ironass's Avatar
ironass ironass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cotswolds, U.K.
Posts: 1,508
ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxup View Post
I notice that in both examples you are using a different theme from when it's present to when it's not there. That could be the reason?
That was one of my first thoughts but it works with both the default and downloaded themes (see screenshot).
It would appear that when in portrait mode the Nokia firmware should show larger signal and battery bars together with the Menu icon but with slightly smaller menu icons, 3 across and 4 down.
However in landscape mode the signal and battery bars are automatically reduced and the menu icon is removed but the menu icons themselves are increased in size and, because of the format, are 4 across and 3 down.
I guess that this was Nokia's original intention but a glitch meant that even in portrait mode the signal/battery bars remained the same, the Menu icon never reappeared and the larger menu icons remained. That is until I installed RotateMe and I found that it corrected the glitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot0010.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	4123  

  #9  
Old 05-03-2008, 08:49 PM
kontraband's Avatar
kontraband kontraband is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,666
kontraband is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsfrwll View Post
I'm glad a Super Mod said that because I'd been looking at it and thinking "what am I missing here?".
I 'kinda' understood what he was saying, but the 4 images we were being shown all had the menu icon on it...

LOL
__________________

  #10  
Old 06-03-2008, 09:45 AM
ironass's Avatar
ironass ironass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cotswolds, U.K.
Posts: 1,508
ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kontraband View Post
I 'kinda' understood what he was saying, but the 4 images we were being shown all had the menu icon on it...

LOL
Yeah, sorry about that. With hindsight I should have included before and after screenshots. My only problem was that having got the Menu icon back I found that I couldn't get rid of it that easily to take a compasion screenshot without it and had to search through my old screenshots to find one without the icon.
As I said at the outset....I know it's not an earth shattering revelation....just something that has been bugging me since the release of the N95-1 almost a year ago as the icon would appear and disappear at random.
If it wasn't for my friends, the six foot white rabbit called Harvey and the pixies I would have thought I was losing it!

  #11  
Old 06-03-2008, 09:48 AM
kontraband's Avatar
kontraband kontraband is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,666
kontraband is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian-ross@beeb.n View Post
<<SNIPPED>>
If it wasn't for my friends, the six foot white rabbit called Harvey and the pixies I would have thought I was losing it!
You have!
__________________

  #12  
Old 06-03-2008, 10:29 AM
ironass's Avatar
ironass ironass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cotswolds, U.K.
Posts: 1,508
ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kontraband View Post
You have!
Don't beat about the bush...tell me straight!
 

Bookmarks

Tags
icon, menu, missing, restored

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Menu Icon disappears ironass Nokia N95 and N95 8GB 1 29-07-2007 06:03 PM
Themes icon vanished from E65 Menu nanosec Nokia Eseries S60 3.0 phones (E50, E60, E62, E61, E61i, E70) 1 16-07-2007 09:06 AM
Menu Icon Customization evobit Nokia 7650 7 24-02-2003 08:33 PM



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:57 AM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy