All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 08-12-2008, 03:45 PM

rbrunner is on a distinguished road
Available Symbian apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
Say what? 9000??! You gotta be kidding me?! S60 3rd edition doesn't even 900 native apps available as far as I can tell...
I tried to get some hard facts instead of only speculations, but this turned out to be not so easy:

With the N95 as the device given Handango currently lists 7994 applications, but I think that can't be right: If I choose the 6680 as my device, that number only shrinks to 7386.

The *really* interesting question is anyway - at least to me - how many applications are needed until most all needs are cared for, let's say three times over so that there is healthy competition between programs that have basically the same functionalilty. I think that number is nowhere near 10'000...

Old 08-12-2008, 03:59 PM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
And while we're on the subject of the number of available apps (as if quantity were really important) don't forget all the Java apps that are available on just about all mobile phones apart from...

Old 08-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Unregistered

interesting

I have been closely observing the iPhone since it was released and became available in the UK. At the time I was working in Symbian. On several occasions I took it upon myself to compare Symbian OS (i.e. the OS on Nokia 5800) and Mac OS on the iPhone which always yielded interesting results. The fact is both Operating Systems are portable and can therefore be made to work on almost all computing systems in the world. However when it comes to functioning as an advanced Operating System for mobile phones Symbian clearly triumphs over the Mac OS simply because it was developed to work on mobile phones implicitly. That is principally the reason why all the known iPhone software feature problems exist.

To the Apple fans, there are still some good points that Apple has brought onboard such as a very good GUI (Graphic User Interface) that is obviously an offshoot from the iMac and MacBook version of Mac OS. They have also managed to make a snappy device that delivers quick transitions and responses when used.

And for all those that see the faster processor on the iPhone or iPhone3G and compare it to the Nokia 5800 slower processor and think itís a reflection of Appleís advancement with mobile phones consider this then:

How functionality relates to performance
To explain this clearly I will show the correlation between functionality, performance and other variables using racing cars. If you take two cars that have the same weight and put similar engines in them and then race both cars, if one outperforms the other then you would have to say that such a car is superior. Imagine that one of the cars is the iPhone and the other Nokia 5800. Imagine also that both cars are of the same base weight but that every feature either phone has is an additional weight to its base weight. That would mean that the Nokia 5800 will be a heavier car than the iPhone 3G. And if the processor represented the size of engine it would mean that the Nokia 5800 with its features is heavier than the iPhone and with is slower processor has a smaller engine than the iPhone. Now when both cars are raced users might be excited that their iPhone 3G was 1 or 2 seconds faster than the Nokia 5800 but when you holistically consider that it was competing against a cheaper, heavier and smaller engine car you realise that the iPhone 3G performance is by all evaluation actually either at par or below par given its lighter weight and bigger engine.

Ziko Mgbatogu
Ads

Old 08-12-2008, 04:36 PM

svdwal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
Say what? 9000??! You gotta be kidding me?! S60 3rd edition doesn't even 900 native apps available as far as I can tell...
The number was floated on the Symbian Smartphone Show last october.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhoskins View Post
And while we're on the subject of the number of available apps (as if quantity were really important) don't forget all the Java apps that are available on just about all mobile phones apart from...
Quantity is very important. Take 'zero' for example. It's one of the many quantities in existence, but having zero third-party apps for a device means

1) it has too much builtin software you are going to pay for, and which you do not need.

2) nobody wants the device.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:44 PM
mvn

"..That is principally the reason why all the known iPhone software feature problems exist...."

Would welcome your data you have based this comment on, or is it just more idle speculation?

Its almost impossible to get a balanced and well written article these days, as an S60 & iphone user I find the original articles on this site are usually well balanced and not full of "fanboy" rubbish! Please no more links to this tube site, the site name sums it up.

The 5800 and iphone are 2 very different mobile products and even Nokia admit they cannot be compared.

But my point again is the fact that almost every article on new mobile releases involve some form of iphone comment with the usual defensive nature of some S60 fans, but the fact that this occurs time and time again shows the threat of this product, not many people argue against or defend the latest Motorola products! For all its faults the iphone has shaken the market

Old 08-12-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have been closely observing the iPhone since it was released and became available in the UK. At the time I was working in Symbian. On several occasions I took it upon myself to compare Symbian OS (i.e. the OS on Nokia 5800) and Mac OS on the iPhone which always yielded interesting results. The fact is both Operating Systems are portable and can therefore be made to work on almost all computing systems in the world. However when it comes to functioning as an advanced Operating System for mobile phones Symbian clearly triumphs over the Mac OS simply because it was developed to work on mobile phones implicitly. That is principally the reason why all the known iPhone software feature problems exist.
Can you elaborate on this? As I cannot see many fundamental problems in Mac OS that will prevent it from becoming as good as Symbian OS in powering battery-power constraint devices? And Symbian has issues of it's own with it's legacy of 1990's design decisions.

Quote:
How functionality relates to performance
To explain this clearly I will show the correlation between functionality, performance and other variables using racing cars. If you take two cars that have the same weight and put similar engines in them and then race both cars, if one outperforms the other then you would have to say that such a car is superior. Imagine that one of the cars is the iPhone and the other Nokia 5800. Imagine also that both cars are of the same base weight but that every feature either phone has is an additional weight to its base weight. That would mean that the Nokia 5800 will be a heavier car than the iPhone 3G. And if the processor represented the size of engine it would mean that the Nokia 5800 with its features is heavier than the iPhone and with is slower processor has a smaller engine than the iPhone. Now when both cars are raced users might be excited that their iPhone 3G was 1 or 2 seconds faster than the Nokia 5800 but when you holistically consider that it was competing against a cheaper, heavier and smaller engine car you realise that the iPhone 3G performance is by all evaluation actually either at par or below par given its lighter weight and bigger engine.
To keep with the car analogy, if the iPhone has a top speed of 120 kilometer per hour, and the 5800 can only do 60 kph, the 5800 is seriously underpowered, and cannot be taken out on the highway. Cars need a certain minimal maximum speed to be usable.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:32 PM

fidolatry is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Vote story up at Digg.com

World of Nokia is also carrying this story (hope they didn't steal it!) which you can vote up here.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Unregistered

Well, indeed valid, but copying another device's form factor, stuffing it with goodies, then claim it to be your own innovation, that's a little disappointing! Since when does Nokia need to do that, considering they're a dominant market leader?! Still, the initial credit goes to Apple in my opinion, though they've neglected quite a bit here and there. Nokia doesn't really stick to their own key labellings anymore either.. that central "Menu" button strongly reminds me of the central iPhone button.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:15 PM

Jaggz is on a distinguished road
"To keep with the car analogy", what is the point of owning a Veyron if somebody has swapped the steering wheel for a deep pan pizza and the gas peddle for a sausage on a stick?

Nokia make amazing hardware, but pretty naff software. Until they partner with someone who can actually help them finish off their software to an acceptable standard these S60 Vs. iPhone lists are nothing more than hot air.

Power without control... Sad but true.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:22 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapgame View Post
Actually I'll think you'll find the N96 does.
The N96 does not have 3D graphics acceleration hardware.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:37 PM

Menneisyys is on a distinguished road
Too bad he folks didn't even mention the question of third party software. In that regard, the iPhone is, currently, the most supported platform; particularly when it comes to games. There are very few new games for Symban (including even N-Gage) or Windows Mobile. Unlike on the iPhone.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svdwal View Post
10.000 apps in half a year, compared to 9000 apps in 6 years or so.
Agreed. In this regard, iPhone is by far the best mobile platform right now - at least when gaming is considered. (In business / utility software, Windows Mobile is the best.)

Old 08-12-2008, 06:42 PM

BTW, if anyone wants to see a fair (!) comparison of the iPhone to the N95 (will., of course, update it to the N97 as soon as I can get it), visit http://www.smartphonemag.com/iphone/node/179

It's been written by me and I can guarantee that I'm, using all the four major mobile OS'es all the time, neutral.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:16 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
If Nokia want to keep ahead of Apple, it's about time they sorted out their pathetic Download! service and made N-Gage available for more devices. It's also about time they stopped releasing software which works on one S60 device but not another; a good (bad?) example of this is the Internet Radio app, which I still can't get working on my E90.

Whether you like it or not, Apple have made finding, paying for and installing apps on the iPhone/iPod Touch extremely easy; however, I don't agree with their restrictive policy concerning which apps are actually carried by the App Store, and for this reaon alone, would not consider buying an iPhone. Love my iPod Touch though...