All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 08-12-2008, 08:36 PM
Cell crazy chap

The Tube5800 guy may have posted some biased points, but while checking the other posts, I found lots of info on the Nokia 5800 phone in this blog.

He is covering almost every bit of detail related to it as soon as its out.
Ads

Old 08-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Unregistered

hi guys, the post on World Of Nokia is mine but it was noted that the list was taken from the Facebook group.

I was lucky to use a 5800 back at the Smartphone Show and I have used an iPhone before both a 2G and a 3G. now im also an Apple fan in a BIG way but although the iphone has the better touch screen and easy firmware updating via iTunes, i think OVI is a big plus point in the Nokia camp with Maps being a great tool plus being able to use Sync and backup direct from the phone which is great for a lot of people, myself included.

I have just ordered my 5800 online and cant wait to get my own in my hands to use but i will say it is not perfect and there will be bugs like with any phone.

From someone who uses a lot of phones this one has had my eye for a while and im excited to finally get my own

Old 08-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrunner View Post
I tried to get some hard facts instead of only speculations, but this turned out to be not so easy:

With the N95 as the device given Handango currently lists 7994 applications, but I think that can't be right: If I choose the 6680 as my device, that number only shrinks to 7386.
You have to realize that Handango counts ringtones, themes, wallpapers and all other multimedia stuff (which you can get off the 'net free) made available by some sneaky bastard trying to make a quick buck...

And sure, lets take into account every Java app too, no matter have slow they run/compatible or not/running only in the corner of the screen/useless controls/no sounds etc... The actual number of available native S60 applications is below 1000.

As for iPhone e-mail attachments, I've only tried it with pics, so that one may be correct, but as someone else pointed out; that is not really S60's strongest point either.

And as far as file system control goes, the iPhone is actually much more open than any Symbian phone to date - once 'jailbroken' that is. Then you can have full system access and can even explore the underlying OS by using Terminal (a quick download from Cydia). One can also use Terminal on the Mac (or the Windows equaliant), or SSH to tap into the iPhone's system over Wi-Fi. Btw, you also need to 'hack' S60 3rd edition phones to get basic system file access.

I suppose there is a way to save any e-mail attachment file too, if your phone is hacked, though I haven't looked into it. Saving files from Safari is really simple, so I would imagine there is a way to save all e-mail attachments as well...

Both systems have their strong points and weak points of course. The iPhone sure has some major bloopers, like:
-No viable copy/paste options (yet)
-Crippled bluetooth support (still...)
-Weak camera (needs new hardware)
-No 'active standby' (only one app available for this(IntelliScreen), but I've found it to be a bit too unstable)).

For me personally, I only really miss the 'active standby' feature and a better camera. 2009 should be an interesting year for us tech freaks though. Looking forward to the next iPhone and of course the N97. And hopefully a real Communicator successor..?

Oh yeah, and I miss Nokia Maps too, even though it was a poorly designed piece of software... :P
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Last edited by Raven; 08-12-2008 at 10:35 PM.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:06 AM

ebo is on a distinguished road
Very childish discussion

Having tried both iPhone 3G (v.2.1x) and Nokia 5800 (dated 01-10-2008) I'd say both have benefits and drawbacks. Some of them listed below:

Apple iPhone drawbacks: tight Apple Apps control, technical limitations in many features, a modest camera, not multi-tasking of several apps in the background (exceptm for MP3 playback for example), UI gets "full" when you have 30+ apps installed, not all services (such as MMS supported) and bad battery life. And if you have Apple iTunes, you don't want an iPhone.

Apple iPhone benefits: Wonderful user interface, easy to install apps, great games and software, rather good text input using the virtual keyboard in landscape mode, good music and video players (remember – it's an iPod mostly!), good music playback and fast performance compared to Symbian S60 for most of the times.

Nokia 5800 drawbacks: Slow UI (at least when I tested it), unreliable (applications crashing several times a day), clearly unfinished icons and other parts of the S60 Touch UI, still the old menu-and-list-based navigation, having to use the stylus in some parts of the UI and applications, and a very bad Downloads (looks bad, not tempting) application. The web browser felt slow and zooming (+) feature difficult to control. The device feels and looks like cheap plastic.

Nokia 5800 benefits: one hand operation in most parts of the UI, you don't need the stylus in most applications, good as an MP3 player, decent video playback, some S60 applications already being optimized for the S60 5th Ediition and Touch UI (not all of them yet), decent camera, high display resolution and good smartphone features overall.

These are just the first ones I thought about.

Even though AAS is supposed to be a community of mobile professionals, this discussion haa been very childish and emotional.

In my opinion there's more need for technical analysis rather than fanboys coming out with their emotional postings. No consumer should love just one company.

Last edited by ebo; 09-12-2008 at 02:18 AM. Reason: typos corrected

Old 09-12-2008, 08:47 AM
samuel O

Thumbs up Dont be a zombie-like believer of Apple marketing. Trust your own experience.

Good job, Nokia! Symbian, the world best and most sold mobile OS surely does outsmart the winmo and apple software that is only popular is US. Apple's good marketing skills ja nice transitions on the iphone is a great push to right direction on better user experience, but does not make it winner. Fact is that Nokia 5800 is afterall more suitable for most of us with superior specs and much better value for the money.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Ugh, soon as I saw the title I knew it devolve into another iphone V nokia fest.

The list of features Nokias have over iphones, and the better UI vice versa.

Thats what it boils down to, and probably always will, touchscreen or not.

I think it's utterly pointless, they are different sorts of phones, even the 5800. Yet some people still insisted on comparing the N95 to the iphone.

I have to say, I don't think AAS should bother reporting/linking to bias sites.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Unregistered

I'm a Nokia fan, like most of the readers of this site, but even I have to admit the comparison is heavily biased. Below are a couple of examples of bias.
In reason 19, the 499 euros price quoted for the iPhone 3G in Italy is inclusive of 20% VAT; OTOH, the 279 quote for the 5800 does not include VAT, nor it does include a Comes With Music bundle (see reason 12). To be fair, one would have (a) to compare prices without local VAT, and (b) either retract reason 12, or add the cost of the CWM bundle, which will likely bring the price to an amount superior or at least comparable to the iPhone.
Also, about reason 12: the iTunes store is available in more countries than the Nokia Music Store, and sells videos as well as music.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Unregistered

I'll be the first to put the Iphone in its place (under a toilet perhaps)? But even i have to admit that review is a little to biased, not to mention vague in some areas. But the point was made very clear. 5800 over Iphone. Who didn't see that one coming?

Old 09-12-2008, 05:22 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
Since when has AAS been a "community of mobile professionals"?

Old 10-12-2008, 02:25 AM

mib1800 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by svdwal View Post
To keep with the car analogy, if the iPhone has a top speed of 120 kilometer per hour, and the 5800 can only do 60 kph, the 5800 is seriously underpowered, and cannot be taken out on the highway. Cars need a certain minimal maximum speed to be usable.
You should take a look at this video which shows the UI performance of 5800 and iphone side-by-side before making such statement. You will be very surpirsed how much faster 5800 is compare to Iphone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtJ8ScsHylY

In the video, almost all UI responses are faster in the 5800.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:43 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Yes, good posts all. I did think twice about linking to such an obviously biased site, but I also love a bit of good debate and wanted to keep awareness of the 5800 very much alive......

And the original list did make *some* good points, it wasn't all hot air.

Bottom line is: offer me a free iPhone or a free 5800 and I'd really, honestly struggle to choose one over the other. So many pros and cons for each. Which is why the whole issue is worthy of a little light-hearted debate.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:39 PM

mhose is on a distinguished road
5800 music player

Hello guys. To anyone who owns the 5800, does the music player pause when plugging off the headphones, or it continue to play on the speakerphone like my nokia e71?

Old 14-01-2009, 01:32 AM
Unregistered

The music player stops and that bugs me but only for radio. MP3 can be played in loudspeaker without headset.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by svdwal View Post
10.000 apps in half a year, compared to 9000 apps in 6 years or so.
Your overlooking the fact that most of the Iphone apps are useless, showy bits of tack.
Symbian apps are mainly productive.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:22 PM

DriftNismo is on a distinguished road
Well, yes, he has some valid points, but with some other points he clearly has no idea what he's talking about, or he's just a 5800XM fanboy (which I didn't think was possible to exist) :p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The list
4) Storage
Iphone comes with two options- 8GB & 16GB internal memory. Nokia has a more flexible option to offer 8GB with micro SD card which is expandable upto 16GB. Nokia owners can expand memory size according to needs which the Iphone guys can’t do.

5) Input Methods
Iphone: Finger only.
Nokia 5800: Finger, stylus, plectrum, handwriting recognition.

6) Features
Apple Iphone has lots of missing features like cut and paste function, saving email attachments, no support for third party headphones, ringtones, pricey iphone applications, many software bugs and other technical glitches. Nokia 5800 Tube has no such issues plus many more amazing features included.

7) Colors
Iphone: Black for 8 & 16 GB, White for 16 GB only.
Nokia 5800: Red, Blue and Black.

12) Music Service
Iphone: Paid service with Apple Itunes Store. You pay and download music to your Iphone.
Nokia 5800: “Comes with music” service is bundled with Nokia 5800 Xpressmusic phone by which you can download as much music as you want for 1 year- FREE!!

14) Voice Recording
IPhone: Not Available
Nokia 5800: Available

15) Web Browser
Iphone: Webkit based Safari browser, no flash available.
Nokia 5800: Webkit based browser, supports flash lite.

20) Experience
Nokia: Ages of experience, hundreds of success stories and dozens of smart handsets in current portfolio. Nokia has about 40% market share with the No.1 spot with no close competitors. Certainly the king when it comes to brand value, service and experience.

Apple: First phone ever launched by Apple is Iphone, no prior experience in the telecom market. It’s a novice in the market with a very less market share despite having millions of Iphone sold.
4.) Seriously?? "Iphone comes with two options- 8GB & 16GB internal memory. Nokia has a more flexible option to offer 8GB with micro SD card which is expandable upto 16GB. " Ok, so basically, you can either have an 8GB or 16GB iPhone, or an 8GB or 16GB 5800XM, and I don't see Apple forcing a certain size onto anybody, so it's just as flexible...
5.) The iPhone interface was built specifically for ease of use and to not need a stylus, so even if you could use a stylus with the iPhone, it would be no more useful than your finger.
6.) iPhone has Cut/Copy/Paste now, has had support for third party headphones since before the 5800XM was even released, has customisable ringtones, and has a hell of a lot more free applications than the Ovi store (and good ones at that) and if 4.99 is expensive for a full game or very useful application then whoever wrote these reasons shouldn't have even been spending the money to get his 5800XM.
7.) Really? Is this REALLY a valid factor? Especially considering that the colour difference on the 5800XM in just one strip that goes around the phone (while the iPhone is the whole back) and it's only available in one extra colour?
12.) Ok, sure, Comes With Music is a great deal, but if you don't get the Comes With Music edition phone, you still have to pay full price for music on the Nokia Music Store, and often ends up more expensive for albums than iTunes.
14.) iPhone now has voice recording.
15.) Ok, sure, but flash on the 5800XM was so laggy anyway you could hardly make use of it, and overall Safari was a lot nicer of a browser to use than Opera Mini or Nokia's Browser.
20.) This is true, Nokia sure have the experience behind them, and are a great mobile phone company, probably the best, but for Apple's first handset being released into such a high price range, they seem to have done pretty well for themselves.

@Un-registered - Well, last time I checked the Ovi store was full of useless bits of tack too with a few productive apps; App Store isn't alone on that one.

It may sound like I'm biased, but I've got an iPod touch, had a 5800XM and have many friends with iPhones, and while the iPhone is overpriced, it's still a great device.

Last edited by DriftNismo; 12-10-2009 at 06:28 PM.