All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Silent mode on my Nokia is two buttons (power button briefly then profile selection). Then there is no noise at all when taking a photo. The LED flash still illuminates red briefly though.
Just curious, what phone do you use? Silent mode on the E-71 unfortunately has no effect on camera shutter sounds. I suspect it's an E-series vs N-series thing, but really don't have access to any other phones to be sure.

Quote:
I wonder what people did before silent cameras. A Leica M6 with a cloth shutter was supposed to be the discrete candid weapon but it still made noise. A modern DSLR still has mirror flap noise and AF whirr.
Fair point; old film and dedicated cameras do have the advantage of being able to take shots at a distance where sound is not an obstacle though. I also wouldn't compare the natural sound of a mechanical shutter to the artificial, high pitched, poorly designed, and incredibly loud (at least on my E71) shutter sounds that Nokia forces - without access to a dB meter, my friend and I subjectively felt my E71 was at very least twice as loud as his iPhone shutter sound. As much as I hate all sounds on camera shutters, Nokia's are especially egregious for being so awful. At a minimum, could they not afford a sound engineer?

Quote:
If people are really seriously into photography that these details need addressing, then I would suggest that a tiny CCD sensor behind a plastic fixed lens followed by aggressive .jpg processing is probably not the tool they are looking for. A camera might be a better option, along with a pile of release forms.
Well, I guess it depends on your definition of "seriously into photography." I think the best camera is the one you have on you - and the more camera-like my phone gets, the happier I am. To me, being able to get great shots of friends at BBQ's, birthday parties, travel photos (and yes, museum visits while traveling), etc is something I'd buy a good camera phone for, and something that's hindered by the forced focus and shutter sounds.

I don't think there has to be a certain quality of camera phone that needs to be met before manufacturers like Nokia provide a more camera-like experience (ie, glass removable lens + raw should not be pre-requirements for being able to use your phone as a camera without artificial and senseless limitations being imposed)

Old 12-06-2009, 03:00 AM
Unregistered

Isn't the solution to the annoying shutter noises a hack? That's what I'd like to see. I'm not a programmer, but how hard can it be? One line of code?

Old 12-06-2009, 05:34 AM

ashu is on a distinguished road
Silent mode slicences the camera sound??? This is the first time I have heard of it!!

I use Nokia N79 and there is no way you can silent the shutter sound. I know some guys have done it but then they have hacked it. I only wish, I knew how to hack into my system files and silent that darn thing

Old 12-06-2009, 07:08 AM

mcpezza is on a distinguished road
"Silent" profile on the N95 8Gb stops the shutter sound.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:25 AM
Unregistered

5800xm silent mode has no shutter noise. The flash LEDs light red for about 200ms instead.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:11 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Can anyone who has the n86 confirm that setting the phone to silent deactivates the shutter sound?

Old 12-06-2009, 12:54 PM
unregistered

my shutter sound cant be deactivated even on silent mood and with 'warning tones' off.

Old 14-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Hirudin

I don't know if this works on all Nokia phones, but on the N95-3 you can switch between Normal and Silent modes by holding the # (pound) key. Switching to Silent does indeed turn off the shutter sound when taking pictures.

There's some kind of hack out there that lets you get into the protected portion of the memory on some Nokia phones. I haven't tried it, but I guess it lets you change settings that would normally not be accessible. It also lets you access files that normally don't show up (like text messages I guess).
Ads

Old 15-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
I don't know if this works on all Nokia phones, but on the N95-3 you can switch between Normal and Silent modes by holding the # (pound) key. Switching to Silent does indeed turn off the shutter sound when taking pictures.

There's some kind of hack out there that lets you get into the protected portion of the memory on some Nokia phones. I haven't tried it, but I guess it lets you change settings that would normally not be accessible. It also lets you access files that normally don't show up (like text messages I guess).
Judging by some of the experiences others are having, I'd say that the newer the firmware, the less likely the silent or 'turning off warning tones' is to work. If they ever come out with another firmware update for the N95-3, I'd be willing to bet the shutter sounds even in silent mode. An added Nokia bonus - beware of updating firmware, unlike other companies, Nokia phones seem to get worse with every update.

Old 14-08-2009, 09:32 PM

tramfan is on a distinguished road
I have had the N86 for about two weeks. The shutter sound and focus sound can be disabled in any profile by turning the warning tones off. The silent profile as supplied already has the warning tones turned off. Silent mode can be activated by holding down the hash # key.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramfan View Post
I have had the N86 for about two weeks. The shutter sound and focus sound can be disabled in any profile by turning the warning tones off. The silent profile as supplied already has the warning tones turned off. Silent mode can be activated by holding down the hash # key.
Can any body conform what tramfan claims. Pl. any body help, coz I m seriously thinking to buy N86. Otherwise (if the sounds in N86 can't be silenced) then somebody pl. suggest an alternative Brand/Model 8 MP phone where these sounds can be stopped. What about in Sony Ericsson C905?