All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 29-06-2009, 09:52 AM
greengiant987

Hi Steve,

This was a very interesting article that very clearly demonstrates how good N86 camera is. I thought the keyboard article was great too other than the E71 score being completely off.

I really don't know where else to post this but as long as it gets to you I guess it doesn't matter.

Would it be possible to do an in depth comparison of browser performance of the recent phones (n97,5800, any Google phone, iPhone, n86 ?). Having used e71 browser I find it adequate only with JS and flash disabled and I've seen plenty of 5800 videos where the reviewer did a quick demo of the browser and then went 'there is always opera mini' .

Considering that all of these phones use the same engine it would be interesting to see just how different they are. I understand Nokia is using a very dated version of Webkit. After Apple shower their very impressive SunSpider benchmark results I tried it on my e71 and ,well, it doesn't get very far before giving up(obviously JS back on ). I'm only asking because I care (plus I find it a little frustrating that you put Nokia's browser on par with iPhone's as it may mislead potential buyers into spending a large sum of money on a device that underperforms).

Old 29-06-2009, 11:32 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj7 View Post
Yes, really, look at the price also!
Dude, thats not fair. You are comparing the launch price of the n86 to the current price of the n82, which has been around for quite a long period now. Its a known fact that shortly after launch prices of all handsets start dipping over a period of time.

If you want a fair comparison, compare the launch prices of both the phones. And if you are unwilling to spend the current amount asked for the n86, wait till the price drops - which will not be too long.

Old 29-06-2009, 11:56 AM

yade is on a distinguished road
Steve/Rafe,

Can you elaborate on your thoughts on Nokia using essentially the same camera interface they have been for the last few years. I know it does the job and Nokia regulars will be used to it but when I have used SE and Samsung phones in camera mode the experience replicates standard point and shoot camera's and give a better all round experience. I think even if they are close to the best in terms of image quality I think this is an area I would like to see improvements.

Old 29-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yade View Post
Steve/Rafe,

Can you elaborate on your thoughts on Nokia using essentially the same camera interface they have been for the last few years. I know it does the job and Nokia regulars will be used to it but when I have used SE and Samsung phones in camera mode the experience replicates standard point and shoot camera's and give a better all round experience. I think even if they are close to the best in terms of image quality I think this is an area I would like to see improvements.
To be fair, the application whilst on the surface shares a lot of ressemlence to that first introduced with the N73/93 We did make a fairly significant change in the latter part of last year where we enabled full customisation of the items that appear in the toolbar and the order they are placed. Very few, if any provide such customisation. This allows you to decide which features you use the most and then have them only a click or two away. Whilst I understand that others may use glitzy looking icons and therefore appear more upto date I think the model we use is still one of the easiest to use out there.

These comments are in regard to S60 3.2 based products. However, with N97 the UI solution is a little different and to many will look more up to date. Have you had the chance to use either the N97 or 5800 camera UI?

Having said all that we are looking seriously into future development of the camera interface and would therefore be very interested in hearing specific requests. Please don't take this the wrong way, but sorry to say that having a UI which looks more like that of a digital camera is not a request, as what's to say we can't deliever something better than those? I have yet to see a dedicated digital camera UI which I look at and think wow that works really well. So, please share with us what you'd like to see. What you think works well and what doesn't for you.

br

Old 29-06-2009, 04:47 PM
BobThailand

93 to 82 to 86

I smiled when I read the part about the bloodline of N93 to N82 to N86. I owned both the N93 (what a shame that was, both the still camera and Nokia's pathetic support of a very expensive phone) then the N82 (love this thing. Adore it, actually.) and, budget willing, will soon have the 86. I will look at the Pixon12 if I don't own the 86 by then, but I'm a Nokia guy. I'd be lost on Sammy.

Old 29-06-2009, 07:16 PM

Brian_CaB is on a distinguished road
Portrait vs. Landscape

Hello Steve, Rafe, thanks for doing the yeoman's work on checking out the phone.
I don't own an N series phone nor have I found an answer to this question so I'm hoping you have an answer or can try this on the N86.

Once the camera is launched, does the accelerometer enable functionality to automagically switch from portrait to landscape or vice versa by simply rotating the phone?

Old 29-06-2009, 07:29 PM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_CaB View Post
Once the camera is launched, does the accelerometer enable functionality to automagically switch from portrait to landscape or vice versa by simply rotating the phone?
You really dont need the accelerometer for that. The camera will anyways click in whichever mode you hold the phone - landscape or portrait. And the photo app on the phone will display the photo in the mode it was clicked. Ditto for most image viewing applications on a pc.

Old 29-06-2009, 07:54 PM

Brian_CaB is on a distinguished road
Okay, so I'm obviously missing something...

I can understand if there is some method to manually switch between a default portrait or landscape mode similar to a rotate button in a pic viewer in a PC app.
With my current phone and camera, the orientation may be chosen.
Without that, or the accelerometer, wouldn't the pic have a default portrait or landscape orientation?
How can the camera know which side is down without an accelerometer, some other type of sensor or an analysis algorithm to decide if the short or long side will be down?
Ads

Old 29-06-2009, 10:59 PM
Unregistered

N86

Nokia got to stop thinking that because of there good name they used to have,that all there phones are the best ,since the N95 an N95 8gb they have shown no improvement at all in there "N" series mobiles,the N96 was a let down the N85 had a wobbly slide after a couple of weeks,an the N86 shows they do not want compete in the Top Class Camera mobiles even the reviewer on www.mobile-review.com stated that in is review of the N86,i thought the N86 would be a good upgrade from my N95 8gb but My N95 8gb is a loads better than the N86 ,i had 3 N86s in 5 days an all went FAULTY So will keep my N95 8gb till something better is released,Nokia will lose of customers if they do not change there way of thinking as Samsung an the others are all laughing at Nokia, because they release better top class mobiles than Nokia as Nokia only want to release mid-range mobiles nowdays

Old 30-06-2009, 02:32 AM
Unregistered

N97 = White smoky effect on photos taken at night

Dear Rafe and Steve,

My new N97 produced quite startling phot shhot outs.
With LED flash set on automatic mode, I took pictures at night in my house with lightings on. But the pictures resulted in having whitish smoky effect on the left half of these pictures taken. Why is that so? Appreciate your expert comments a lot. Is it due to my faulty new unit that had to be sent for repair? Thanks.

Old 30-06-2009, 03:07 AM
Unregistered

I would also like to know how the color accuracy of the N86 in the fan/flash photo compares to that of the N82. Steve, could you please comment? Thanks.

Old 30-06-2009, 06:31 AM
5700guy

Question

Hey, even the Nokia 5700 (released circa March 2007) has panorama mode! Are you saying that it was discontinued after that, and reintroduced now?
I think SE phones have a better pano mode in their cams.. At least they get the overlapping borders right!

Old 30-06-2009, 07:42 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_CaB View Post
Hello Steve, Rafe, thanks for doing the yeoman's work on checking out the phone.
I don't own an N series phone nor have I found an answer to this question so I'm hoping you have an answer or can try this on the N86.

Here are your options:

In the camera app it will ALWAYS be in landscape orientation, so the display orientation matches that of the sensor orientation. There is a setting (default is on) in the camera where the accelerometer is used to determine the orientation of the device when you captured the image. It then saves the image in this orientation so when you view it in any SW it will be the right way up.

There is then an auto rotate UI option which works in most applications where the UI is rotated according to the orientation of the device. You can turn this function off if you prefer.

Finally, if you have the auto rotate UI setting off and you slide open the the secondary slide setting (multimedia controls) then the UI switches to landscape.

Old 30-06-2009, 09:39 AM

miki69 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
i had 3 N86s in 5 days an all went FAULTY
Can you share with us what was their fault? Some hardware issues?

Old 30-06-2009, 01:20 PM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
aperture/freeze

Steve,

You probably know this already, but it isn't apparent in your article...

I think you'll find that the flash doesn't have anything much to do with the ability to freeze motion - that would be shutter speed.

A brighter flash just allows the shutter to be open for a shorter time, but so does a larger aperture (more light at the cost of depth-of-field) and higher ISO (sensor is more sensitive, but more grainy too).

I can't help but wonder if some of these other things are effecting your shots. Without manual settings, it's difficult to tell.

Max.