All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-08-2009, 09:47 PM

Unconscious is on a distinguished road
Nokia N97 - Gateway No Reply.

I have two wireless networks in my house - and I am trying to connect to either of them. I have tried connecting on demand (so I open the web page and pick a network and enter the key) and I've also tried connecting via a network point... Still, no cigar - my father can connect to the internet perfectly from his N96 - but I have yet to be able to connect at all.

Any things you can suggest? If you need more information, feel free to ask.
Ads

Old 26-08-2009, 12:36 AM

stargardengm is on a distinguished road
I have the same problem with my N97. I am able to connect to my WiFi with my older N95 but the N97 has a gateway problem with most sites although some sites connect but very slow. I upgraded the N97 software and it made no difference. Any ideas.

Old 26-08-2009, 08:39 AM

Nyxmorph is on a distinguished road
Quite a few people have this problem. I get this problem on my work Wireless LAN, but not on my home wireless LAN (thankfully). So it appears to be a problem with certain types of wireless network, but I still haven't narrowed it down to the exact problem.

Old 26-08-2009, 08:48 AM

RanRuobin is on a distinguished road
nogateway

if your father can be online them the router is probably filtered! Check if any macaddress filter or ip filter is no.

Old 26-08-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanRuobin View Post
if your father can be online them the router is probably filtered! Check if any macaddress filter or ip filter is no.
Pardon my ignorance - but how would I go about doing that?

Thanks.

Old 26-08-2009, 09:24 AM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
You'll need to talk to whoever set up the routers about that. (Presumably this ins't you)

MAC address filtering is used to only allow certain predefined devices access to the network. Each device has a unique MAC address - Like an IMEI for networks.

If nobody has ever configured the routers, it may be a different problem entirely...

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 26-08-2009, 09:39 AM

Nyxmorph is on a distinguished road
Yes, thats a possible solution, but unlikely to be the problem. Im a domain admin here at work, and we cant figure out why N97's cant connect to the work Wireless LAN sometimes, and yet every other device including all the smug iphone owners can connect flawlessly all the time.

Old 26-08-2009, 11:28 AM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Usually turning the wireless router off/on resolves a lot of problems. You can even try changing the frequency (aka channel) of the wifi signal on most routers.

If these fail, factory reset your wireless router. You'll lose any pairings you have with any wireless devices you have associated with it, and also your firewall settings, so be sure to make a note of all these before you do so.

Hope this helps.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 26-08-2009, 11:48 AM

Okay, let me try to explain the situation.

I have two wireless routers - one has a limited range, and the other has a high range, meaning it can be accessed from everywhere. It's the high-range one I am trying to connect to - this is on a wired connection to the other router, so they both have internet access.

Other wireless devices work fine with it - just not my phone.

I can access the low-range (sky router) from the browser, and can change the settings and such - but that's irrelevant, as that's not the router I'm trying to connect to.

The other is a Belkin N-Wireless router, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to access it from the computer, as it's plugged into another router, rather than directly to the computer itself. So I haven't been any to change any settings on it. Would accessing the network via a laptop work, and then just inputting the normal IP for the router?

What should I be changing to get it working?

I have tried restarting both routers, as well as my phone - but to no avail.

Factory reset is the last option - and I want to try and hold off of doing this until it is absolutely necessary.

Old 26-08-2009, 12:21 PM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
Turn off wireless on your laptop and plug in directly to the router you want to edit settings for...

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 27-08-2009, 12:17 AM

keiranm2000 is on a distinguished road
Hello,

I have had issues before and it turned out to be the 'case'. Say my WEP Key was WWW111WWW111 and I just put www111www111 it wouldn't work but when I put caps on it worked, maybe worth a try.

Keiran.

Old 27-08-2009, 02:13 AM

Any other capital letters in the password give me a 'Wrong password' error, so I must have the right one.

Are there any settings on my phone I can check to see if I'm connecting to my wireless properly?