All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 27-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
What does the internet think of the Nokia N8?

The announcement of the Nokia N8 has certainly got the internet chattering, more than any other recent Nokia product launch. It’s not an out and out success, but that’s to be expected. No product in the real world can get 100% satisfaction on launch day, but it can get the buzz building from the time the press release goes public (or perhaps before - grrrrr). So what did the internet think of the N8? Lets find out.

Read on in the full article.

Old 27-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
If you have written something about the N8 please do let us know here in the comments so everyone can share it.

Old 27-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
http://www.stuclark.net/mobiles/noki...mbian-handset/

Old 27-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Unregistered

stuclark: I've seen you post similar comments as contained in your blog elsewhere in the N8 stories today. Clearly you have been dragged over to the darkside invested in either iPhone or Android, or been burned by N97, and now are incapable of being objective. I could easily set up a little blog and claim the exact opposite to the points you've made, and then where would we be? Nowhere

I think far more telling than a lone and unknown voice shouting in the wilderness is to see the general vibe from authoritative voices across the blogosphere and internet, and from comments on various news stories. They're pretty much all overwhelmingly positive, in favour of the N8, and congratulating Nokia on what is clearly an iPhone and Android beater (something which has got owners or fans of those devices seriously on the back foot today). (and as objective Nokia observers know, we certainly can't take seriously Eldar's 'review' at mobile-review, the man's a known Nokia hater, and Nokia have slapped him down for leaks so he has a massive anti-Nokia chip on his shoulder, quite apart from reviewing an N8 with unfinished hardware and software).

I think general consensus is Nokia's on a real winner with the N8.

Old 27-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote: "I think general consensus is Nokia's on a real winner with the N8."

Shades of the N97......

I have learned to temper my Nokia launch expectations because time after time they surely fail. It is what it is.

Old 27-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
@Unregistered: I've only posted 3 things about the N8 today, or anytime actually. First was here; 2nd was on my blog and 3rd was just a few minutes ago on Twitter. So, you can't really say I've been spreading the same thing, being un-objective, or been dragged over to the dark side, based on that.

Infact I'm still using my i8910 as I think it still holds the best combination of hardware and software for me. However, I'm willing to accept that other offerings from other companies may now be more appealing to normobs.

If anything, that's being objective, not biased.

Old 27-04-2010, 06:14 PM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
i won't be early adopting another nokia anytime soon...

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 27-04-2010, 06:16 PM
AndyW

Hardware sounds nice, but software looks the same

I just watched the N8 YouTube video from Nokia, I cringed, then I watched the video I most want to do on my cell phone and that is web browsing, N8 Web Browsing around time 0:11 I still see the ugly OPTIONS BLOCK on the side of the screen.

My guess from watching the Nokia Videos is its a N97 with a Capacitive screen, HDMI and supports both TMobile and ATT in the US with one phone. Not much there, I only switch carriers (if I do) once every two years. So not a big item for me to have one phone that works on both.

{Full Disclosure} I took a hammer to my N97 (it gave me great pleasure) and I now have a Google Nexus One which I like.

The only think I miss from Nokia is my Bluetooth transfer of photos with one click to my pc and my contacts list sync.

The N8 does not wow me.

Old 27-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Unregistered

Why are the Nokia haters out in force (referring to comments here, on Techcrunch and one or two other US-based places), putting down the N8 when it hasn't been released and no one's played with it yet (yep, not even Eldar at mobile-review who hates Nokia and is utterly biased)?

I'll tell you why - because it's shaping up to be a truly great handset that's why, and those who think Android/iPhone are the next big thing are on the back foot, in full defensive mode. They've realised the emperor has no clothes - that the platforms they've got behind are actually not very good after all and that actually Nokia have just hit back with one heck of a left hook and they're reeling.

The Symbian^3 / hardware specs / price combo of the N8 looks like it's going to really bring back to Nokia all but the most die hard iPhone/Android fans, and good thing too.

Old 27-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Unregistered

My 2 Cents

http://www.adonismobile.com/2010/04/...symbian-3.html - Summary more tweaks with kick ass hardware. Still trying to bridge gaps rather than build bridges.

Old 27-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Unregistered

Shame.

The once mighty AAS is losing all credibility.

Have we forgotten the N97 fiasco? On this very site it was proudly proclaimed to be the next “killer” device. And we all know how that has turned out.
Ads

Old 27-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Unregistered

If you think that the only people who are going to bad mouth Nokia before a phone is released are iIdiots or Nexiots, you are mistaken. As early adopters of many recent Nokia phones, even those of us who have been loyal to a fault have come to feel as if we have been bopped in the head with a hammer time and again. Eventually you just want the hammering to stop. If Nokia don't want that negative spin early on then maybe they should earn that trust at some point. Surprise somebody and overshoot the expectations, as they did with the n95 4 years ago. Since then every new phone has had problems at release (except for my trusty e71). Whether it was memory problems (n97), battery issues, ringtone nonsense, faulty GPS's, scratchy lens covers, loose usb connectors, mediocre OS and the always useless Ovi Store - you are left waiting for 2-3 firmware updates and a warranty repair or two to get it close to right.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for this to be a success and shut up all the iphone zealots, but the truth is that recent history is not on Nokia's side. We'll see.

Old 27-04-2010, 07:48 PM

Berty is on a distinguished road
Well i was burnt on the N97 and foolishly the N900. On an iphone now and loving it and will probably sticl with Apple from now on being a more polished platform. Been loyal to Nokia over the years and they seem to have no respect to their customers based on recent experiences. Typed on my iphone using Opera.

Old 27-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Founder / Chief

With regards to quality I'd point out the much talked about 'delay' to Nokia's Symbian^3 phones is because of quality control. Nokia, in their last earnings call, said they 'would not release until its ready'. I think that's a very clear statement of intent.

Of course you can say you're not happy to wait and find out, but I think, given what they've gone on record and said about the N97, its probably fair to give them the benefit of the doubt.

My personal feeling is that I think Nokia have learnt from their mistake, but how much they have learnt is open to debate. Some people are never going to be happy so I don't think there'll ever be complete happiness on this issue. I can certainly understand a 'wait and see' attitude, but the 'dismiss out of hand' attitude seems short-sighted and dogmatic.

Old 27-04-2010, 08:01 PM

Berty is on a distinguished road
Benefit of the doubt! Maybe an appology for some of the recent devices they have released and people like myself and others who shelled over £500 for something that simply didn't work properly.

The N8 does look nice but I'd recommend people to wait for 6 months or so after it's release before buying. I'll bet good money this device will not work properly as advertised on release and we'll have an N97 debacle all ovr again.

I for one won't be burnt again.