All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 07-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Skype 1.1 now out for touchscreen Symbian devices

Skype for Symbian has been updated to version 1.1 and is now available for S60 5th edition devices, either directly on the handset from m.skype.com or as a download from the Ovi Store. The major change seems to be a significant reduction in the amount of RAM that the application uses, now down to a surprisingly small 3MB on the AAS N97.

Read on in the full article.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Unregistered

Videochat please!

And facetime = facepalm!

Old 07-07-2010, 10:51 AM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Title of this article should be changed to "Skype 1.1 now out for MOST touchscreen Symbian devices". Running the sis on the i8910 still results in "this phone model is not supported" :-(

Old 07-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Unregistered

Actually it's been released on S60 3rd devices as well.

v1.1 Running fine on my N95 8GB but it does seem to "flash" at you when you go through the tabs.
Ads

Old 07-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Noted, I'll adjust Ewan's title etc.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Unregistered

What are the Symbian-based alternatives to Apple's Facetime, and how do they compare - does anyone know? And how long have they been around?

Facetime isn't anything new or special despite the Apple fanboys desperately trying to claim it is, as far as I can make out.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:19 PM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
You can try fring. Advantages are:
1) It works off both 3G and wifi as opposed to only wifi on facetime in iphone.
2) As long as both are on fring (which will be easier and more likely than both been on iphone 4) or one is on fring and one on a PC webcam, this should work.
3) No call charges apply for a video call since it works purely on data connection. Could be bad news though for people who are on a very limited data plan. But that rarely is the case these days.

Last edited by malerocks; 07-07-2010 at 12:25 PM.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:27 PM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
What was the RAM consumption with the earlier version?

Old 07-07-2010, 12:31 PM
BOC

What are the advantages to using this over, say, Nimbuzz or Fring? Is there important functionality here that you don't get by using the skype functions on those other programmes?

Old 07-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up Skype 1.1 supports Sony Ericsson Symbian devices too

The Skype 1.1 release targets Sony Ericsson Symbian devices too, according to:

http://blogs.skype.com/garage/2010/0...r_symbian.html

Old 07-07-2010, 08:36 PM

snipboy is on a distinguished road
Not pleased with this latest Skype release. Come on...Fring allows you to do Video calls through Skype, but Skype's own client still can't? I know Symbian development isn't a priority right now for major developers, but when a third party is able to do it, there should be no real barriers to the primary software provider.

Fring is a lightweight install and very smooth all around application for IM and calling. If they could add in Qik and Facebook Connect access, we'd really be in business. But as it is now, it is an impressive application. Fring rightly decided to make the front facing camera the default camera for video calls. The only drawback is you cannot choose the regular camera as an option. But I am sure that will be in a future release...hopefully also supporting S60v3FP1 folks. I sure love it on my N95-4NAM!

Old 08-07-2010, 02:27 AM
Effortful

Not Available for USA

As much as I generally respect the author's commentary, I do wish he more be more precise in his pronouncements. After reading this article, I immediately followed the link the the Ovi store and was promptly greeted with the message:

"Sorry, this item is not available for your country.
Browse more great content in the "Related" section below."

We all tend to be ethnocentric, but next time, please qualify to which regions the applications you discuss apply!!!

Old 08-07-2010, 07:24 AM

holzlondon is on a distinguished road
I think one particular advantage of the Skype software compared to Fring or Nimbuzz is the fact that you can use Skype Credit for text messages.

Being in Germany, we have riduculous text message prices (29 Cents to foreign networks), and Skype lets you send texts for 10 Cents to mobile numbers. And if everything is properly set up, the recipient can reply directly to your mobile number.

And then there's call quality:
I live in an area with no 3G network, so the phone connects with EDGE quality. Skype and Nimbuzz deliver better call quality on EDGE than Fring does on 3G or WiFi. I have no explanation why, but it simply does not sound as compressed as on Fring.

But of course, if the video calling is most important, then Fring is the only way to go for now.

Guess what.... I have all 3 installed.....

Old 08-07-2010, 02:15 PM

snipboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by holzlondon View Post
I think one particular advantage of the Skype software compared to Fring or Nimbuzz is the fact that you can use Skype Credit for text messages.

Being in Germany, we have riduculous text message prices (29 Cents to foreign networks), and Skype lets you send texts for 10 Cents to mobile numbers. And if everything is properly set up, the recipient can reply directly to your mobile number.

And then there's call quality:
I live in an area with no 3G network, so the phone connects with EDGE quality. Skype and Nimbuzz deliver better call quality on EDGE than Fring does on 3G or WiFi. I have no explanation why, but it simply does not sound as compressed as on Fring.

But of course, if the video calling is most important, then Fring is the only way to go for now.

Guess what.... I have all 3 installed.....
Very good points. I have all three installed too. I simply can't get everything I need with each software package. I like Nimbuzz because I can connect to Facebook chat, but can't with Fring. The interface on Fring is far superior for usability to Nimbuzz, imho though. There is no perfect solution, but a lot of really close ones!

Old 08-07-2010, 10:14 PM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
Everytime I see a screenshot of the S60 interface I am reminded how ugly it is. Torture!

Nokia wake up it's 2010.