All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 04-08-2010, 06:13 PM
hailstorm

Hmmmph

A brand new client to a lousy app store = a same old lousy experience.

You know what are the two major things dragging Nokia phones down?

1) The software i.e Symbian

2) Ovi *anything*(Ovi suite, Ovi app store, Ovi maps etc etc)

Drop these two items and Nokia will soar again. The more lenient ones will say 'wait and see' for Symbian^3/Symbian^4, and they may be right.

But Ovi has to go.

Otherwise, OPK, Nokia shareholders and fans will find out the hard way. Yes, Nokia dominates the dumbphone business, but even that may be at risk if market share for smartphones is further eroded.

Me? My first phone was a Nokia phone. All my previous phones were Nokia. My current phone is a Nokia. Not so sure if my next purchase will be a Nokia. Most of my friends are happily using IPhones or HTC phones. I have resisted peer pressure for a quite while to join them. This may change.
Ads

Old 04-08-2010, 06:22 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Lol.. why exactly? Ovi Maps is great. Ovi Store is fine and getting better by the minute as we can see - more content is also guaranteed to come with Qt.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Unregistered

I heard differently: The new Ovi Store client is supposedly not written in Qt, but using already the new web runtime based on QtWebKit.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoFlake View Post
Very willing to be corrected (in fact as an N97 owner I very much hope I am) but I don't believe the N97's hardware will be able to cope with the Qt libraries. Hope I'm wrong, fear I'm not.

One of the unmentioned disasters surrounding the unfortunate (rip off) N97 is that with the introduction of S^3 and Qt if it can't run run the Qt libraries and as above I don't think it can (and run other programmes sensibly) then all App development for the N97 has effectively stopped as I would guess 90% new apps will now be written in Qt with S^4 in view.

Orphaned after a year (actually it was ages ago because they can't fix the hardware limitations), just gives us a trade in discount for the N8 or E7 Nokia and we'll go quietly , well I will.
All 5th edition devices will be able to run Qt (and I think 3rd edition eventually), subject to your C drive as mentioned by some. When you try to download your first Qt app, then it installs the app and looks for Qt. If it cannot find it then it downloads Qt smart installer (approx 7MB). Once installed all other Qt apps will install and run without installing Qt Smart Installer.

Want to try it now? go to Ovi and download Orange Wednesday app, you cannot get 2 for 1 but all other funcationality works. This is Qt app and runs really well on my X6.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I heard differently: The new Ovi Store client is supposedly not written in Qt, but using already the new web runtime based on QtWebKit.
That's possible - I was told Qt, but no specific technical details. In a sense running on QtWebkit would Qt based too. It may actually be a combination of both (i.e. QtWebKit based, but not specifically WRT). If anyone can shed some light please chip in.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Unregistered

[quote=Rafe;472706]You hold down the power key for x seconds - can't remember how long it is though.

Is this procedure different from normal switch off phone? Also is this equivalent to removing battery from device? thanks for the information you are providing.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:19 PM

krisq is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Also is this equivalent to removing battery from device?
Yes, it is.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:39 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
A bit OT Rafe, but any news if the Internet Radio app from S60v3 will make it to Symbian 3 and the N8? It's one of the hidden built in gems of the E-series that unfortunately hadn't made its way to S60v5 for God knows whatever reason.

The internet radio app, along with the podcasting app bundled in with the N8 firmware would likely make it more appealing for an upgrade, even to older E and N series users.

Last edited by Jimmy1; 04-08-2010 at 09:58 PM.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
[quote=Unregistered;472724]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
You hold down the power key for x seconds - can't remember how long it is though.

Is this procedure different from normal switch off phone? Also is this equivalent to removing battery from device? thanks for the information you are providing.
Yes. Its equivalent to pulling the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post
A bit OT Rafe, but any news if the Internet Radio app from S60v3 will make it to Symbian 3 and the N8? It's one of the hidden built in gems of the E-series that unfortunately hadn't made its way to S60v5 for God knows whatever reason.

The internet radio app, along with the podcasting app bundled in with the N8 firmware would likely make it more appealing for an upgrade, even to older E and N series users.
I'm not sure on Internet Radio, but Podcasting is definitely in there. I do recall hearing something about Internet Radio, but can't track down anything concrete - sorry!

Old 04-08-2010, 11:49 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
i heard AN internet radio app (note: there may be another version that is more mature of course) is in Nokia's "backstage" stage which is apperently what they call apps at the pre-alpha stage. therefore, i would imagine it will only become available after n8 has been released to shops. obviously, this not 100% confirmed info and it could also move quickly.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:56 AM
Will81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
The CPU isn't that big an issue when browsing actually, but the graphics co-processor will make a difference.
I'm disappointed that someone who has been following the smartphone arena for so long could make such a statement. Today's smartphones (even the fast ARMv7 devices) are CPU bound when loading/rending websites. Double the CPU power and you almost half the load/rendering time.

The only significant impact that GPU acceleration will have is to make scrolling and zooming around the webpage smoother. This is after having to wait for the slow ARM11 CPU to load and render the webpage.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:20 AM
inept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
The capacitive screen makes a different (compared to the N97 say) and performance is better because of improved networking and graphics architecture in Symbian^3. The CPU isn't that big an issue when browsing actually, but the graphics co-processor will make a difference.
Is rendering webpages really the sort of task that a GPU is well suited to? I would expect that this task would be mostly CPU. Also, wouldn't the existing browser need to be modified and updated anyway to support use of the GPU if the GPU was indeed well-suited to performing the task of rendering webpages?

This is really my greatest point of concern for the N8. Nokia is in a tough position here. They're already way behind with the N8 and they can't wait for the browser, but it's arguably the single-most important feature on a modern smartphone and "good enough" might not be the ideal thing to ship.

I'm still eagerly awaiting (1) a release date and (2) a thorough, unedited video walk-through of the final product. I really need to retire my E71!

Old 05-08-2010, 06:41 AM
Unregistered

royally of

CPU vs GPU for web browser? Comments missing the point? The time it takes to transfer data from a web server to your phone matters more than a few MHz from one of these processors.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:00 AM

plumbersbirming is on a distinguished road
That's for sure, WRT performances issues should largely go away with the next release of the browser and accompanying WRT engine (both based on QtWebKit). I request if someone can provide the pictures of the new Nokia N8.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:34 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
The majority of web page content parsing/rendering will be handled by the CPU, and not the GPU.

A GPU can be used to render 2D or 3D graphics. In case of a web browser, it'd impact UI effects, and it'd impact 2D vector processing (such as SVG imgages or Flash (if the Flash implementation has been written to use the GPU and not a software rendering library), but not much else.

I don't know about the N8, but in the past on Symbian/S60 devices with a GPU, the GPU was only accessible via the OpenGL ES APIs (which wouldn't be used by the browser, in all likelihood). The Symbian^3 new graphics acrchitecture changes things, I'm sure (I'm not too intimate with the details of Symbian^3), for UI rendering, but most of that would be useful for the actual browser UI (standard UI controls such as list, scrollbars, text entry fields, window opening and closing, etc.), not the web content itself.