All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia N70, N72 and N90

Old 11-01-2006, 12:32 PM

marco.veloso is on a distinguished road
N70: Unable to see System folder, to execute or install some applications

Hi,

I have a N70, from Vodafone (Portugal), and I find some problems (newbie in Symbian OS) exploring and installing applications:

- I can't see the "System" from the disk or the memory card in the mobile explorer or windows explorer. In the mobile, if a perform a "find" it will find the System from the memory card but not from the mobile. How can i access this directory from the mobile and from the windows (Note: the explorer of the windows permits to see hidden and system folders and files);

- I try to intall the FExplore to access the hidden "system" folder. But the instalation don't execute because a error of "security reasons" (not the exact message because it is in portuguese, but the key words are this);

- I try to execute files with extension .app from a aplication that a laboratory where i work, but it doesn't execute with a similar message about "security reason";

In some threads the use of the FExplore resolve the problem of the hidden "System" folder. But a i can't install it and i still cant see it from the windows.

I also find something about enable "Advanced options" (?) and enable "hidden areas" (?). Is this correct? How can i enable it?

Can anyone help me with the problems above, please?I will been thankful.

Regards,
Marco

Old 11-01-2006, 04:24 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
- I can't see the "System" from the disk or the memory card in the mobile explorer or windows explorer.
That is as designed. No good solutions.

Quote:
- I try to intall the FExplore to access the hidden "system" folder. But the instalation don't execute because a error of "security reasons" (not the exact message because it is in portuguese, but the key words are this);
menu > Tools > Manager > Options > Settings > Software installation > On (can't translate that to Portugese)

Quote:
- I try to execute files with extension .app from a aplication that a laboratory where i work, but it doesn't execute with a similar message about "security reason";
Execute on the phone? How? Properly installed .app files should appear as launchable programs in the phone menu.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:43 PM

Hi,

Thank you for the information about the hidden folder "System". It is also impossible do see it from the explorer of the windows?

The problema for execute and install the aplications was a my error. Before read the above post i find in another thread the same information that forbid the instalation of aplications without certificated. This option of off for me.

The other problem executing the appliaction, aggain, my mistake, because I was trying to execute a .app file outside the System folder.

One more question: when I turn on the mobile there is a nokia animation with a sound. How can I disable it or at leats turn of the sound?

Regards,
Marco

Old 11-01-2006, 06:58 PM

steff2632 is on a distinguished road
the nokia animation & soundcan be disabled in the settings>phone>general>welcome note or logo
can chage it to what ever you like

the system folder if its on your memory card & you have the option in windows to see system & hidden folders & files then you should be able to see it using a memory card reader & the memory card
Ads

Old 11-01-2006, 08:11 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

Quote:
the nokia animation & soundcan be disabled in the settings>phone>general>welcome note or logo
can chage it to what ever you like
Unfortunately I haved tryied this option, but in my N70 it only allows to insert a text or a image, the animation (and the annoying sound) still active. Other way to get around it?

Quote:
the system folder if its on your memory card & you have the option in windows to see system & hidden folders & files then you should be able to see it using a memory card reader & the memory card
Yes, i have that idea taken from other posts, but I do have the windows option to see system and hidden folders active, but i still can't see the "system" folder from the mobile memory, and memory card. Any other ideas?

Thank you again for your help.

Regards,
Marco

Old 14-01-2006, 11:34 AM

steff2632 is on a distinguished road
are you using pc suite??