All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-08-2003, 01:58 PM

drazvan is on a distinguished road
Send anonymous/fake sender id/flash SMS messages over GPRS

Hello everyone,

We have just launched a new application called SMSXtender

SMSXtender is a small (5.5k) midlet that allows you to send SMS messages to destinations all over the world for just 0.07 EUR/message. It also allows you to "tweak" your SMS messages in ways that are impossible from a regular phone:

1. You can alter the phone number that the message appears to have come from. Want to play tricks on your friends? Send them messages that appear to have come from their own phone number (or from their girlfriends )

2. You can even set an alphanumeric sender id (a name). It is limited to 12 characters, but that's enough to send a message from J. Lopez to a Jennifer Lopez fan

3. You can send Flash SMS messages that are instantly displayed on the receiver's phone. The receiver doesn't have to press any buttons to read your message, it just pops up on their screen.

The application costs EUR 9.95 and includes 10 initial credits. If you need more, you can purchase packs of 100 credits.

More details on our site (http://www.simeda.com/smsxtender.html) or on Handango (http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...amp;catalog=90).

Enjoy
Razvan

Old 20-08-2003, 07:43 PM

If you want to check the coverage area for SMSXtender go to http://www.simeda.com/smsxtender-coverage.html. Please note that only the receiver of the message must be in the coverage area, the sender just needs a data connection (GPRS or CSD).

Razvan
Ads

Old 20-08-2003, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
This is awesome!!!! I was surprised that my country is actually IN the coverage area

Once again,the app seems awesome but i have a problem with an app the has not trial.

Quote:
If you experience any problems with the software, you can request a refund within 7 days. The amount refunded will not include the cost of any sending credits, including the 10 initial credits.
I guess that answers my query although i still would preffer if the app had a trial version.

Have you considered different ways charging?Maybe raise the price of the app and don't charge for credits,or make the app freeware and charge for credits only?

Has anyone tried it?

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 21-08-2003, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
I tried it on my P800, worked very well. Small, fast and fun little app: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16100&start=15
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 21-08-2003, 12:11 AM

Yes, it's been tested . Check out http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/phpBB...=125278#125278. If you want to write a review for it for the Series 60 section, drop me an email (support@simeda.com) and I will provide you with a demo version and 10 test credits.

Razvan

Old 21-08-2003, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator

Pretty good review Raven.I only wish i can do as good as you ops:

I just droped you an e-mail Razvan! Can't wait to try it out

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 21-08-2003, 08:21 PM

KROSS is on a distinguished road
Ive checked on the list and my mobile network (t-mobile uk) is not listed under my country. Does this mean i can't use this app, or i can't send messages to people on this network?????

Old 21-08-2003, 09:01 PM

It means that you can't send to people on that network. It doesn't matter what network you're on when you send.

Razvan

Old 21-08-2003, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

My thoughts:

SMSXtender is cute little app packed in just 5KB,pretty good when you are a 7650 owner,we all know that storage is not its strong side.The design is pretty simple and intuitive,no need to read any kind of manuals.

When it starts up for the first time the standard Disclaimer pops up which I'm sure is read by everyone with great interest and ecstatic pleasure.After that you will be prompted for you username and password which can be acquired on www.simeda.com/smsxtender.html

Its time for some fun.You can enter ANY number or name in the Source number/name field.Imagine torturing your friends with short messages to them from their ex girlfriends or boyfriends or even notes in the form of flash messages(flash messages show up on the screen with no user intervention at all) from the almighty to your parental units saying that they should buy you a new Porsche because they have to redeem themselves for the wrong they have done to you.The possibilities are endless.

Now,for the downsides.There is no report facility,like with the normal SMS application so you don't have any way of knowing whether the message was received or not.You have to manually enter the number you are sending a message to,no link to the contacts application.You can only send a message containing around 30 characters.If you try to send a message which contains around 40 characters you will get a white box and the message won't be sent.If you try to send a message containing 50 characters or more,SMSXtender will crash.It seems that the crash is specific for the Nokia 7650 or maybe my firmware revision(v 04.46).SMSXtender on the Sony Erricson p800 or the Nokia 3650 does not suffer from the bug I mentioned.

Lets hope some of Nokia's developers is reading this and it will be sorted out ASAP.

SMS screenshots.

www.evesnik.com.mk/sliki/screenshots/SMSX/FEscr1.jpg
www.evesnik.com.mk/sliki/screenshots/SMSX/FEscr2.jpg
www.evesnik.com.mk/sliki/screenshots/SMSX/FEscr3.jpg
www.evesnik.com.mk/sliki/screenshots/SMSX/FEscr4.jpg
www.evesnik.com.mk/sliki/screenshots/SMSX/FEscr5.jpg

Flash message screenshots

www.evesnik.com.mk/sliki/screenshots/FEscr3.jpg
www.evesnik.com.mk/sliki/screenshots/FEscr4.jpg
www.evesnik.com.mk/sliki/screenshots/FEscr6.jpg
www.evesnik.com.mk/sliki/screenshots/FEscr7.jpg

For some reason,the image tag was not working,so i had to resort to direct links of the images.

Old 21-08-2003, 11:36 PM

And I'm happy to report the error in the 7650 has been fixed. We've actually found a workaround, so now you can send long messages without problems. GhostDog, please contact me at support@simeda.com to get the new version for testing.

And thanks for your review!
Razvan

Old 22-08-2003, 12:27 AM

I would appreciate if those of you who have tried the software or even bought it would go and review it on Handango at http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...amp;catalog=90. This would help us immensely. Thank you!

Razvan

Old 22-08-2003, 02:13 PM

Looks like I spoke too soon ... it seems that the size problem remains on the 7650 (at least with the firmware that GhostDog has). My 3650 (firmware 2.50) sends big messages without problems. I'll investigate.

Razvan

Old 22-08-2003, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Razvan,02.50 is a 3650 firmware revision and its in no way realted to the 7650.I'm not 100% sure about this but i even think that midp on the 3650 is updated and there are slight differences.

You should check with forum nokia about the problems SMSXtender is having with the 7650 or at least firmware revision v 04.46

Old 22-08-2003, 06:39 PM

Since many of you asked for a free trial version of SMSXtender, we came up with the following procedure:

1. You can download the application directly from http://www.simeda.com/downloads/SMSXtender.zip. We have just updated it (it's slightly larger, 12k, but it supports additional characters from various languages and it's more stable). The application however is useless without the credits, so read below.

2. Send an SMS from the phone you're going to use for testing to +40722537195. Put your email address in it and your required password (like this: email_address@provider.com,password).

3. When we receive the SMS, we will create an account for you. The account name will be your phone number, in international format, without the double 0 or + sign in front. The password will be the one you requested. We will notify you by email when your account is activated. Your account will have 1 credit that you can use to test the application. We will not issue more than 1 account per email or 1 account per phone number.

4. If you decide you like the application, you'll have to purchase it (at the current EUR 9.95 price). If you don't like it, you'll have to remove it from your phone after the test.

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to email me at support@simeda.com.

One more thing: we will check to make sure the trial requests were not sent through our system ... just in case someone was thinking about that (I know I did ).

Old 22-08-2003, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

My Thoughts,continued:

Well,i have some good news!The bug i mentioned in my small review has been fixed,the app has gained a couple of more KB's but its still really small and very,very FUN!

I think i just saw my friend breaking up with his girlfriend after recieving a strange SMS

ops: