All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-08-2006, 08:00 PM

elbutio is on a distinguished road
N80 email receive but won't send

Hi guys,

Pretty much as title. All my settings are correct and i can receive mail but when I send it's just marked as qued in my outbox and won't go to recipient.

I'm using wlan as my connection and have the new firmare:

v4.0623.0.41
26-07-2006
RM-92
Nokia N80 (01)

Anyone else having this problem or know how to sort it?

Cheers

Old 21-08-2006, 09:12 PM

elaverick is on a distinguished road
What have you set as your SMTP address? Some SMTP accounts need you to connected directly to your ISP to route through thier ISP. If your Mobile phone operator offers E-Maill support you might like to try using their SMTP address. Bear in mind some SMTP Operators require you to pass an address that uses the same domain as their own (i.e. the part past the @ sign). It might me worth a try however
Ads

Old 21-08-2006, 09:32 PM

Hi,
thanks for the reply. I've set up 2 accounts but the one i'm most interested in is my orange mail - smtp.orange.net

I'm mainly interested in using wlan as my connection method instead of gprs etc so i can access for free when away from home near access point. I've set everything up the same as my account through outlook however i can only receive and not send. Have you had any luck sending email over wlan?

Regards

Old 22-08-2006, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbutio
Hi,
thanks for the reply. I've set up 2 accounts but the one i'm most interested in is my orange mail - smtp.orange.net

I'm mainly interested in using wlan as my connection method instead of gprs etc so i can access for free when away from home near access point. I've set everything up the same as my account through outlook however i can only receive and not send. Have you had any luck sending email over wlan?

Regards
Yes but as I mentioned previously a good number of Email providers authenticate via the connection used. You may be better off setting you SMTP provider to the same as the SMTP host used on you WLAN connection rather than on your Orange Connection. Where the email originates from is largely irrlevant as far as the recipient is concerned as all they see is the defined return address. Unfortunatly the standard Nokia e-mail application doesn't provide support for authenticated connections for out going e-mail, third party solutions may do, however I suspect this is hardly ideal in most curcumstances. You are best to just use your ISP (IE the provider allowing WIFI access to the Internet)'s SMTP address. Hope this helps.

Old 22-08-2006, 07:44 AM

Hi Elaverick,
Thanks for explaining that, i did what you said and it's worked a treat. Much appreciated. The only problem i can see is that if i move to an access point and i don't know the service providers smtp address i won't be able to send? is there any way around this or any program that i can use for email on my n80 that'll sort this?
Thanks again
El

Old 22-08-2006, 12:08 PM

If a company wishes their SMTP server to be accessable from outside their own network they generally setup password authentication for it, which is nice and simple and just requires the e-mail client to pass a username and password on to the server to authenticate with it...

Now the older Nokia's didn't have support for SMTP authentication but having just had a look at my N80 it turns out it DOES actually support it (props to Nokia for this one )

What you need to do now is locate an SMTP server that supports user and password authentication. Some ISPs do allow external connections to authenticate in this manner, others regard it as too big a risk.

If your ISP doesn't do this then provided you're flexable about your apparent outgoing email address you still have one option left. If you create a Google Mail account and have that set to forward all incoming mail to you main e-mail account you can use the Google mail SMTP server for your outgoing e-mail. If you're really flexable about your e-mail address then you could just use the Google Mail account for all your e-mail

Old 22-08-2006, 04:24 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbutio
Hi,

Regards
You may only be able to send via smtp.orange.net server when you are using Orange GPRS or 3G data connections.

When using WLAN, you may be blocked from sending emails via the orange server as this constitutes relaying and most ISPs dont allow this function on their mail servers.

I have this problem on T-Mobile, so i suggest you configure OUTGOING CONNECTION for the mailbox to always use your Network Operators own connection to send, and only use ALWAYS ASK or WLAN to receive email (INCOMING CONNECTION)

Dez