All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-04-2008, 04:32 PM

pakolainen is on a distinguished road
Deleting Emails from Phone

Hi, managed to set up the email option on my phone, downloaded the headers, read those that i needed to, but when i choose to delete, nothing happens, the mail is still there. i choose to mark all, delete and same thing, nothing.

Where am i going wrong??
cheers
Ads

Old 25-04-2008, 11:26 PM

elp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakolainen View Post
Hi, managed to set up the email option on my phone, downloaded the headers, read those that i needed to, but when i choose to delete, nothing happens, the mail is still there. i choose to mark all, delete and same thing, nothing.

Where am i going wrong??
cheers
Whenever you mark an email as deleted in Messaging, the email isn't deleted straight away. It's just marked as deleted. The actual deletion happens whenever you disconnect from the email server. So choose Options -> Disconnect and your emails will get deleted. This is a real hassle, completely counter-intuitive and Messaging won't mention this fact anywhere but there you go.

Messaging is anything but reliable so sometimes, it won't delete your emails the first time around and you'll have to connect and disconnect a few times before it gets round to deleting your emails.

Another important thing to note is that whenever you ask to delete an email, you'll be asked wether you want to delete from the phone only or from the phone and server.

The former option will delete the email *body* from your phone but the header will remain. This means that the email will still show up in your inbox in Messaging. A completely pointless "feature" as the whole point of deleting emails is to avoid having your inbox on your phone cluttered with hundreds of emails you've already read.

The later option will make the email disappear completely from your phone, which is what you'd typically want, but will also delete the email on your email server, which means that the email will be gone forever. You won't be able to retrieve it later on from your PC's email client or view it on the webmail interface (if your email provider providers a web interface).

So neither option is really a good option unless you've decided to use Messaging as your main and only email client (which no same person would so).