All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-08-2009, 08:07 AM

buxz777 is on a distinguished road
hated mine moaned about it for abnout 3-4 weeks

decided to deal with it and stop moaning

went and took my lemon of a handset back and get me a decent one , got one that shipped with v11 , gps works fine , no creaky battery cover , signal great , fitted a screen protector to my camera and hey presto i have a sweet n97

it works great runs pretty smooth with 48gb of files battery is super :-) iam a happy n97 owner here just waiting for a revised lens if one dosent come ill just replace my screen protector on the camera and maybe carry out biggzys camera cover mod

Old 18-08-2009, 09:17 AM

PaulyLaw is on a distinguished road
I'm quite happy with my N97. Works fine for me, yes there are a few quirks but I cant help but wonder (but cant be bothered looking) whether there are just as many "Wish I'd never bought an iphone / htc hero / Blackberry Storm / whatever" threads out there somewhere.

The grass is always seen as being greener on the otherside, the N97 does do quite a lot really well, some not so well. Live with it.

Old 18-08-2009, 10:34 AM

Shwaa is on a distinguished road
Well just about to post mine of to Nokia in the hope I'll get a phone back that has a working GPS. Between this, the lens scratching and other issues, the N97 is leaving a bad tasted in my mouth. I expected some problems being an early adopter, but Nokia's handling of the situation appalling.

If there are still big issues by mid-September, I think I will just try sell the phone and switch to some other platform (Android is really starting to appeal!). I'll also be actively steering everyone I know away from Nokia.

My boss was going to get one too, but he has had to hold off and now I think I'll tell him not to bother.

Old 18-08-2009, 12:14 PM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
The point is, the grass isn't always greener. never was with my n95 - even with the early firmware i was perfectly happy wth that awesome device.

The n96 was pretty meh. Same basic shape & hardware.

The n97 was supposed to be the Next Big Thing. With massive storage. Qwerty keyboard, etc, etc...

But with the lens and gps issues this device is physically defective. It's an epic fail and a terrible terrible disappointment after the 6 month wait between announcement and launch.

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 18-08-2009, 12:28 PM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
No phone will ever be perfect people. Go and whine somewhere else.

I never experienced any of the problems some of you mention, no scratched glass, no poor signal, solid gps, etc.

To me N97 is the best there is with the potential to only get better with firmware updates.

This is coming from someone who was critical of the N97 at first. Until the day I bought one.

Old 18-08-2009, 01:00 PM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
No phone will ever be perfect people. Go and whine somewhere else.

I never experienced any of the problems some of you mention, no scratched glass, no poor signal, solid gps, etc.

To me N97 is the best there is with the potential to only get better with firmware updates.

This is coming from someone who was critical of the N97 at first. Until the day I bought one.
This isn't the thread for you then. This is for self indulgent complaining only...Bloody part pooper

:P

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 18-08-2009, 05:46 PM

spirit44 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecozens View Post
lol. fair comment. getting a bit bored with it myself. hence the wailng wall.

if you're looking for something more positive, check out my freeware collection. or calendar widget. or something. I'm not entirely negative, but I am on a one man mission to try and shame nokia into a response

sorry if I've bored anybody along the way...

you're THE man! Your site is awesome, and you contribute more than most to this forum

and i like the jibes towards nokia, they make me laugh!

Old 18-08-2009, 06:02 PM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
Just a silly question, I rely on my N97. I got problems with it, any chance they can send me a replacement N97 and then I send mind back?

Seems incredulous that you have to send something back and wait two weeks or something for a replacement.

Old 18-08-2009, 09:18 PM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
I wish I'd not bought the phone. I took a picture of my wife and because of the scratched lens it distorted her face. She wasn't happy and has now left me.

Also, when travelling abroad recently the phone connected to 3G even though I was in range of free wifi. I didn't notice and when I got home I received a bill so large I had to sell my house to pay for it - I'm now homeless.

I was lucky though because I was offered a place in a hostel. Well, I was actually offered a place in two, but when the first place called I couldn't work out how to answer the call so they rang off.

Luckily, I worked out how to answer the call from the second place and they gave me the address to go to. Couldn't find it though, GPS wouldn't lock.

The phone has ruined my life.

Old 18-08-2009, 10:26 PM

celios is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
I wish I'd not bought the phone. I took a picture of my wife and because of the scratched lens it distorted her face. She wasn't happy and has now left me.

Also, when travelling abroad recently the phone connected to 3G even though I was in range of free wifi. I didn't notice and when I got home I received a bill so large I had to sell my house to pay for it - I'm now homeless.

I was lucky though because I was offered a place in a hostel. Well, I was actually offered a place in two, but when the first place called I couldn't work out how to answer the call so they rang off.

Luckily, I worked out how to answer the call from the second place and they gave me the address to go to. Couldn't find it though, GPS wouldn't lock.

The phone has ruined my life.
ROFL!

And I thought I had N97 problems!

Old 19-08-2009, 06:38 AM

falconer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post

Now if mine could persuade the wife to leave................

Old 19-08-2009, 07:07 AM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconer View Post
Now if mine could persuade the wife to leave................
It's easy - Just open the slider a couple of times, take a snap and Bob's your uncle!

Old 19-08-2009, 09:48 AM

rossgustaf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
I wish I hadn't bought an N97.

If I didn't, it'd mean that I wouldn't be one of the few people with a working N97 and I wouldn't have to keep seeing threads like this one all the time.

QFT (although mine did brick about 30 minutes after i got home with it!)

I wish I hadn't bought it so I could have avoided the rise in blood pressure after it bricked