All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 29-10-2009, 11:21 AM

jah is on a distinguished road
Not usual for me to rant but the N97 is one of the poorest Symbian phones I have owned, and I started with the SE P800! How can Nokia get this so wrong?

Old 29-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Unregistered

Firmware Update

Hi All, Own a uk N97 and after using nemesis set the euro code and succesfully got the v20 update from nokia. Small problem though, I was reading that people were seeing 60mb of flash on c: after the update, i am only getting 22mb, is there anything i can do to improve that? I have already moved most apps to mass storage so i am now at a loss.

Hope someone can help, thanks in advance,

Chris

Old 29-10-2009, 12:13 PM

Lasikie is on a distinguished road
Did you do a hard reset after installing v20 firmware?

Old 29-10-2009, 12:18 PM

RollerSMB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.ewin View Post
I have been investigating further in the VoIP issue.
...[*]I am not sure whether the Nokia VoIP client can still do VoIP calls through 3G as on the N95. Only WLAN is mentioned in more recent documentation.
I've tried it, it works as well as the n95 did over 3g. Probably better if I do some fiddling with the codecs using the advanced settings available

No thanks to nokia of course..

Quote:

At least this is great news and Nokia has fulfilled their promise of VoIP in the v20 firmware. I have to take back some of my criticism.
I would recommend waiting until the documentation and tools section at Forum Nokia is updated to reflect the N97 v20 firmware release.
See, I'm not sure that Nokia have fulfilled their promise. If I sell you a car, then give you a car without a steering wheel, and you have to find and install that steering wheel yourself, would you consider that sale a particularly satisfying one? A process you would recommend to your non technically minded friends?

I am definitely happy with the voip, imo it's working even better than the n95, but as far as Nokia's actual communications, they REALLY need to try deliver those steering wheels next time.
Ads

Old 29-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Unregistered

Symbian version

question: Does this new firmware v20 correspond to Symbian^2 ?

Old 29-10-2009, 01:59 PM

k.ewin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerSMB View Post
they REALLY need to try deliver those steering wheels next time.
I have had my rant already in this thread. Don't know what their product management is doing. It was easy to foresee that many users would try to configure VoIP when v20 was released. They should have had the tools and documentation ready on Forum Nokia and a nice hint how to setup VoIP on Nokia Discussions at least. I hope they learn from the N97 experience and will never do this again.

My phone is repaired and updated and I hope I can enjoy it from now on!

Old 29-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Unregistered

MfE doesnot sync calendar after update

Hi, does any one uses MfE? because after the update MfE gives an error every time i try to sync the calendar.

the emails and to do task sync well.

thanks

Old 29-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerSMB View Post
See, I'm not sure that Nokia have fulfilled their promise. If I sell you a car, then give you a car without a steering wheel, and you have to find and install that steering wheel yourself, would you consider that sale a particularly satisfying one? A process you would recommend to your non technically minded friends?

I am definitely happy with the voip, imo it's working even better than the n95, but as far as Nokia's actual communications, they REALLY need to try deliver those steering wheels next time.
I don't think that's a valid metaphor. If I purchased a car and the steering wheel was missing, then I would have no way of making inputs to control the direction of the vehicle. That, to me, is closer to a phone without a keypad or touch screen or other means of interacting.

This missing voip is like hiding the switch that puts on the air conditioning, and leaving the pages out of the manual that tell you where to find the switch, in all other ways the car is perfectly usable. This strikes me as a way of discouraging use of the air conditioning.

In other words, they would rather you didn't have VoIP, but if you must insist then begrudgingly, it can be done. Smacks of involvement from the networks.

Old 29-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs down can not update latest firmware

my phone code is 0576111 series finland

i tried all the way to download but failed and showing your phone is updated.

Help me plz and send me mail at

mindless25@hotmail.com

Old 29-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Unregistered

uuugh the new music player is lame

The new search function is so bad, i miss typing a word in the title of the song, not just the first word of the track.

Old 29-10-2009, 09:25 PM
kdixradio.net

hack your n97

this firmware is unhackable at the moment
but if u clear everything off your phone and then install helloOX2.03 you will have a clean and hacked phone
then update and the built in udp will keep the hack in place after update
so u have hacked updated phone

Old 30-10-2009, 12:04 AM

inzimam is on a distinguished road
Messaging inbox loads slowly

Since the update, all is running well apart from the Text message inbox. I have about 1000 messages in there.

Before the update I could have messages grouped by date and it would work perefectly. After the update, it takes about 5 seconds to load the list of messages.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Old 30-10-2009, 01:45 AM

hannonlaw is on a distinguished road
Help with music player

I am N97 NAM. Upgraded. Only seeming problem is that music player will not recognize songs on memory card. Can find them through search or file manager and play them one file at a time. Can find videos on the card through the video player. But when I do update library, it says searching for music, literally for hours (run it for six hours) without adding anything to the library. Any ideas?

I love the update, but I loved the device before. It is faster, kinetic scrolling is great and there are lot of other great features. Please help with the music player.

Old 30-10-2009, 10:17 AM

k.ewin is on a distinguished road
There is a new guide how to enable SIP calls (VoIP) on the N97 here.

Old 31-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannonlaw View Post
I am N97 NAM. Upgraded. Only seeming problem is that music player will not recognize songs on memory card. Can find them through search or file manager and play them one file at a time. Can find videos on the card through the video player. But when I do update library, it says searching for music, literally for hours (run it for six hours) without adding anything to the library. Any ideas?.
Interesting. What number of songs are we talking about? And what format? And what folder have you put them in?