All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-11-2009, 08:16 PM

Niktrek is on a distinguished road
E75 vs. E72, which to get?

I am torn between which to get to replace my aging E71? I do love the keyboard on the E75 but not its d-pad. I am looking for discussion on this issue.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:19 AM

cricfancy is on a distinguished road
Hi,

If you have used Nokia E71, its better to switch to Nokia E72, which has got 5 Mega pixel and lots of improvement from Nokia E71(I read in different forums) i have not seen Nokia E72 myself

Old 15-12-2009, 08:49 PM

ericklamothe is on a distinguished road
Both devices have their merits

This is a good question and one I have been asking myself. I do not own either device and have been considering the E71 before the E72's arrival. However, having had a go with the E75 in-store I must admit I was struck by how much portable computing power is available in such a slim casing, just like the E72 which I unfortunately have not had a go with. The E75 has the edge on the multimedia front (just) by recording video at VGA 30fps but of course that is not the primary reason we buy E series is it? :-) The E72 does appear on the other hand to be a step up from the E71 with a flawless build quality and a premium all-rounder. Ultimately it is worth noting that the keyboard configuration of the E75 is wider and your fingers will have to travel further. Converseless there is less space available when typing on the E71/E72 so it is down to which you'd feel best with. It is worth noting that the E72 keypad is identical pretty much to the E63 which means that the keypad is ever so slightly wider than the E71.

And if you are not too bothered about Qwerty you should not overlook the excellent E52, which is arguably the best candy bar smartphone in the world at the present time.

Old 18-12-2009, 11:41 PM

mhero is on a distinguished road
Well the e72 has a more powerful processor, better battery life, better camera etc etc ..

Old 03-01-2010, 06:25 PM

jjegan2111 is on a distinguished road
Smile E72 better

hi,

i own a e75 with which in am not fully satisfied with the battery.

i strongly recommend E72

Old 12-03-2010, 07:20 AM

GreenAsJade is on a distinguished road
The E72 software is a cruel joke.

I can't believe the basic problems it has.

This is supposed to be a mobile communications device. Try setting it up to use wifi when you're at home and 3G on the move. I have to change settings in three places, at least, each time!

Or get this: the button for "speakerphone mode" changes mid call. At the beginning of the call its on the left, then later its on the right"!

You can't dial an IDD number direct into the phone keypad without hitting "shift"

There appears to be no keyboard shortcut to reply to an SMS.

The list goes on and on...

GaJ

Old 18-03-2010, 04:03 PM

garbleart is on a distinguished road
I have owned both. The E75 has a fiddly D pad, where even those with small fingers can accidently press the buttons surrounding it. The camera, although ok, is not as good as the one on the E72. Build quality of the E72 is better. E72 is very nippy to use, fast processor and screens nip along nicely. The only real problem with the E72 is the lack of the built in podcast application, a major omission by Nokia in my view. Music audio quality is superb on both phones, each on benefitting from a dedicated audio chip.

My vote goes to E72. I love it.

Old 18-03-2010, 04:10 PM

garbleart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAsJade View Post
The E72 software is a cruel joke.

I can't believe the basic problems it has.

This is supposed to be a mobile communications device. Try setting it up to use wifi when you're at home and 3G on the move. I have to change settings in three places, at least, each time!

Or get this: the button for "speakerphone mode" changes mid call. At the beginning of the call its on the left, then later its on the right"!

You can't dial an IDD number direct into the phone keypad without hitting "shift"

There appears to be no keyboard shortcut to reply to an SMS.

The list goes on and on...

GaJ
Not my experience. I installed Ovi Dekstop on my PC and was "tethering" through my E72 in a few minutes.

Old 26-03-2010, 02:31 AM

zhutiejun is on a distinguished road
Sorry, I don't know, I use samsung mobile phones

Old 28-03-2010, 04:25 PM

tebutler is on a distinguished road
+1 for the E72. I have one and am very pleased with it.

Haven't experienced any of the problems that GreenAsJade reports. Email setup was a breeze as is switching from wi-fi to 3G.

I really don't understand some of the issues that I've seen reported about the messaging client - I works very well for me.

The camera is great, and the keyboard is a work of genius; smaller than the keyboard on my old E61i but easier and quicker to use - hats off to Nokia.

I've no problems recommending the E72.
Ads

Old 28-03-2010, 05:02 PM

moserw is on a distinguished road
Being an E72 user I can certainly recommend it. Even the 5 MP camera is pretty good and lets me do photo blogging and also share pictures around (though they are not in the league of a dedicated digital camera, but the pics are still good).

@GreenAsJade - I use SmartConnect to change connections on the fly. At home it runs on the wifi and when I move out it switches to GPRS (no 3G in India yet) and then when I'm back home it switches back to wifi and all of this automatically. I had the same problem as you but SmartConnect fixed it. Give it a try.