All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-02-2010, 04:09 PM

jwsail is on a distinguished road
Nokia 5800 losing emails

Hi Again Guys,

I have just bought a T-Mobile badged Nokia 5800 running software V31.0.101 after running an update through Ovi Suite.

I have set up email for my Virgin.net account and have succesfully sent and received emails - BUT the received emails disappear after I have read them never to be seen again.

Nokia UK support people are suppsedly "looking into it" after getting me to set up a messaging account using the email application in the applications folder rather than Messaging on the main menu screen.

Most frustrating - along with knowing V40 software has been released, but not to everyone --- I wan't my free voice guidance on Ovi Maps

Any suggestions folks?

Cheers,

John

Old 09-02-2010, 07:21 PM

jj71 is on a distinguished road
Hi John, here's something worth checking:

My emails were saving to phone (C) memory but I switched over to using the memory card (E memory) to save phone memory. All my old emails were lost (still there on the C memory, but not in the displayed inbox any more, kind of as you'd expect.

Fine so far. But here's the thing - when you then connect to the computer in mass storage mode, the phone switches back to C memory for messages and email (which makes sense as they have to put any incoming stuff somewhere and E is out of action, being hooked up to the computer). So after being connected to the pc, your inbox looks a bit empty. If you use E you have to reselect it after using mass storage mode.

Does that help at all?

To switch back and forward between the memories:
messaging>options>settings>other>memory in use

Old 09-02-2010, 08:01 PM

RE email memory

Cheers for that.

I have just looked and yet it was storing in C. I have now changed this to the memory card to save space on the phone.

Do you reckon the old emails will still be in one of the memories?

I have just set up another account into the phone, and set both accounts to receive automatically, so guess will no a bit more soon.

Thanks again and fingers crossed this sorts it.

John

Old 09-02-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Do you reckon the old emails will still be in one of the memories?
Not sure. I've never used the t-mobile version of the phone so don't know what branding or prtogramme tweaking they do, and I use yahoo so don't know much about how virgin.net email works either, I'm afraid. I suppose if you look where the messages used to be on the phone, first using C then E memory, and there're not there, then it doesn't look so good.

One thing though, if your mail is set up to sync automatically, you might be better to set it to manual, send some emails to yourself, see what happens, before re-adding the extra factor of the auto thing.

Final idea: If I read an email on my phone, then go to same email account on pc the message shows as read already. If I delete it on the pc, it may delete on the phone at next connection, I can't remember. Just something for you to investigate. Good luck with it. Make sure and post if you find a solution!

Old 09-02-2010, 09:10 PM

Thanks again for that.

Have tried it a few ways now, still with no joy. Just re-installing the phones firmware.

Isn't annoying when features that worked on N95 and a prototype N86 worked ( before it got damp and the SIM card stopped being able to be read), then don't work on a new phone which has derived software??

John

Old 09-02-2010, 10:44 PM

If you're re-installing firmware you should have a read about updating your product code to get thte v40 update. I did this and it worked fine (for me, on orange uk). I followed link from post toward bottom of page three on this thread:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...t=92286&page=3

Maybe best to wait until you've finished dealing with the current issue but no harm in reading ahead. One point: the product code they suggest is for the red model. Mine is a black/silver phone so I was surprised when it updated to red button press graphics!

Old 10-02-2010, 08:53 AM

Re V40

Yep, already on the to-do list, but as you say I am trying to get the current issue resolved first -- keeping fingers crossed that Nokia will call today.

Have you noticed any differences with V40?

Thanks again,

John
Ads

Old 10-02-2010, 07:02 PM

Nokia UN-care UK?

Hi Folks,

Well here's a quick update. I have now spent around 2 HOURS on the phone to Nokia care UK ( must be some sort of typo in the message title?) to no avail.

The issue was apparently escalated two days ago, with the promised phone call ( within 24-48 hours), and today it has been escalated again - after I was hung up on by the first person I spoke to today.

I have just found Server Seven. Since installing it I have downloaded the last few weeks worth of emails ( strange that the Messaging application didn't do that), sent an email - and received it. So already better than the built in applications.

Let's see how it goes over the next few days, but it looks like I may have found a work around. Just need to clear the new email icon now as they have all been marked as read.

Has anybody else found Server Seven useful, or had any problems with it?

Cheers

John