All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-02-2010, 07:42 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Ovi Suite 2.1 'released'

According to the official Ovi blog, the deployment of Nokia Ovi Suite 2.1.0.87 started yesterday, containing "many new improvements, bug fixes and features", including Ovi.com and Mozilla Thunderbird contacts sync, video transfer and playback and support for device application updates. You can get the new version from within an older version(!) or from here. This replaces the old PC Suite and other variants.

Read on in the full article.

Old 18-02-2010, 07:48 AM

Micky! is on a distinguished road
You forgot to mention the all important Mac support which is confirmed in comments. Also their quote about using their new shiney silver laptops

Old 18-02-2010, 08:37 AM

Nemoi is on a distinguished road
I'm very ambivalent on this release. By all means, there are still enough problems with this version to give it a beta tag and it really should not be given to unaware customers. However, it also is way better than 2.0, which was more of an alpha release than anything else.
So I guess we will reach version 2.5 or 3.0 before this can rightfully be considered a usuable program...

Old 18-02-2010, 09:50 AM

joeyfallon is on a distinguished road
If you're looking for synced videos, they're just lumped in with the photos.

Still very slow I'm afraid, and still getting sporadic errors syncing photos and videos from my N82.

Old 18-02-2010, 09:53 AM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
Does it recognize and sync with Outlook 2010 64 bit beta now?

Old 18-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Unregistered

captives

As every Ovi PC-Software by Nokia it makes my PC so slow i cannot stand it.

Old 18-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs down Far from being ready

Ovi Suite is far from being ready, take a look at BackUp, it regressed from PC Suite. Where are calendar and notes? I guess that's reasons enough, don't you?

Old 18-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoi View Post
I'm very ambivalent on this release. By all means, there are still enough problems with this version to give it a beta tag and it really should not be given to unaware customers. However, it also is way better than 2.0, which was more of an alpha release than anything else.
So I guess we will reach version 2.5 or 3.0 before this can rightfully be considered a usuable program...
"usuable" ? presumably you mean "usable" or "useable" depending on your preference. What exactly is your definition of this word?

I ask because I've been using version 2.0 perfectly happily. If it's not usuable (sic) then what have I been doing?

Old 19-02-2010, 08:32 AM

Nemoi is on a distinguished road
By usable I mean that the functions it offers actually work. For instance, in about 1 one of 3 times of syncing ovi suite would hang up on me and stopped working. With my N97 in version 2.0 I had the following problems:

- it did not detect any photos on my device, making photo sync unusable
- it only detected parts of the music on my device, it synced music only one way (PC to N97), so that I could not sync changes in playlists or new playlists created via PlaylistDJ
- syncing music always wanted to resync my whole music collection, making adding just one album or a few changes in playlists impossible
- to actually play the music on the PC, I had to start another programm (Ovi Player) if I wanted to use the same library of playlists
- syncing bookmarks with firefox always deleted all my bookmarks on the device (tried only twice, then stopped using it)

This, in my opinion, is pretty unusable.

The new version solves a few of these problems.
- Photosync and bookmark syncing now works.
- Interestingly, syncing with ovi.com works over ovi suite. I tried it again directly from the device, and it messed up my contacts.
- Ovi suite now works as a - very basic - music player, so that I don't have to run Ovi player as well. It is still missing loads of functionality in this area though
- the number of crashes have been reduced, but it still crashes about 1 of 5 times or so
- music sync is still unusable for me. it does not read tracks on the device correctly, and still wants to resync everything that is already on the device.
- video sync is so mashed up with the photo section that I don't think many end users will notice or use it
- it still misses quite a few functionality that PC suite had

In particular in regards to music I therefore still consider it far from suitable for day to day use.

Cheers,

Nemoi

PS: As I am not a native English speaker, I hope you can forgive the typo of 'usuable'...

Old 19-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs down More fail from betalabs...

1) Scrap it and start again, write it in Qt so it runs on Mac and Linux from Day One...

2) Keep *ALL* the features of PC Suite including video conversion, before you add more.

3) Employee real programmers and sack the Beta Labs clowns.

Simples.

Old 19-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Unregistered

@Nemoi

So you mean unusable for you.

It's usable for me. I suffer no such problems.

Old 19-02-2010, 11:24 AM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Official Release...?

Oh er...

Still missing/not included/not able to/bugged with:
  • Cannot choose which folders to watch/include for Photo and Video syncing/exchange. No matter what you specify, the My Pictures folder will always get included, as will the My Videos Folder. (So it tries to sync Sixteen THOUSAND photos to my phone, if I use it). Yeah, BRILLIANT stuff Nokia - yet I've reported this to you in EVERY version, and you write back and said it is already in the "Issues Database". DOH.
  • No useful Contacts Management whatsoever, like PC Suite has - no field views, thus no Multiple Contact management, by either listing alternative fields, or sorting on different fields etc. To call it basic is to be generous to the word 'basic'.
  • Video Conversion (of a fashion) is on the fly, so kiss bye bye to choosing any settings, or having control over what you are doing etc.

In short, this is a PC / Phone Communication tool for absolute beginners. It has ZERO functionality for those that actually require a proper "Management Tool".

And stop - before anyone says that's not what this is meant to be, you are 101% wrong...

If Nokia want this to be the complete replacement for current PC Suite, but PC Suite offers this level of functionality, then this is absolutely what Ovi Suite will have to be, if NPCS is to be retired!

Major Fail.

Old 19-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Unregistered

No joy here

Long time E-Series and PC Suite user, never managed to get Ovi Suite to work. No change. Ovi Suite crashes as soon as I click the Sync Contacts with Outlook option. This is repeatable. How does clicking an option crash software? Back to PC Suite then, which just does the simple things I need and does them well. I don't usually moan, but Ovi Suite just doesn't seem to work. What's the point?

Is Nokia going to push E-Series users down the Ovi Suite route too? If so, fine, but just get the basic functionality to work without falling over at the first hurdle. In fact, not even at the first hurdle, still in the paddock putting on the saddle.

Old 19-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Unregistered

Does anyone know if it they have now fixed it, so that you can sync personal items like word, excel and pdf docs from your pc to the phone? Regards.

Old 19-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamehr View Post
Oh er...

Still missing/not included/not able to/bugged with:
  • Cannot choose which folders to watch/include for Photo and Video syncing/exchange. No matter what you specify, the My Pictures folder will always get included, as will the My Videos Folder. (So it tries to sync Sixteen THOUSAND photos to my phone, if I use it). Yeah, BRILLIANT stuff Nokia - yet I've reported this to you in EVERY version, and you write back and said it is already in the "Issues Database". DOH.
  • No useful Contacts Management whatsoever, like PC Suite has - no field views, thus no Multiple Contact management, by either listing alternative fields, or sorting on different fields etc. To call it basic is to be generous to the word 'basic'.
  • Video Conversion (of a fashion) is on the fly, so kiss bye bye to choosing any settings, or having control over what you are doing etc.

In short, this is a PC / Phone Communication tool for absolute beginners. It has ZERO functionality for those that actually require a proper "Management Tool".

And stop - before anyone says that's not what this is meant to be, you are 101% wrong...

If Nokia want this to be the complete replacement for current PC Suite, but PC Suite offers this level of functionality, then this is absolutely what Ovi Suite will have to be, if NPCS is to be retired!

Major Fail.
It's all fine for me. No fail here.
Ads