All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 05-01-2011, 02:24 PM

torrentblock is on a distinguished road
Dorian is a great reader for my C7
click here to get it direct from them. you'll be maemo ready as well ;o)

Old 19-01-2011, 09:46 AM

carterdotcom is on a distinguished road
Good work!

Good recommendation Torrentblock, definitely not bad - nice use of Qt

Old 22-01-2011, 05:30 PM

albertorrent is on a distinguished road
you also have albite reader

http://albite.vlexofree.com/reader

Old 15-05-2011, 06:23 AM

rootytooty is on a distinguished road
I have Ereader Pro on my N8 and my E-7 but I can't figure out how to get it to see books on my devices. It just get those two books that comes with it that I have no interest in. I went to Fictionwise like it says as one of the repositories for ebooks from my device and downloaded a epub book but I it doesn't show up in the library either.

Also I have tried Albite ereader and I really like the turning pages---but the problem is its all in funny symbols and numbers. Ereader was like that but I change the configuration and at least I can read the books if I can get the ones I like to show up.

I can't find any kind of configuration thing for Albite, so I don't know how to get rid of the symbols and read my books in English.

Any advice please????

Thanks,
Bobby
Ads

Old 15-05-2011, 08:38 AM

yellowcan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootytooty View Post
I have Ereader Pro on my N8 and my E-7 but I can't figure out how to get it to see books on my devices. It just get those two books that comes with it that I have no interest in. I went to Fictionwise like it says as one of the repositories for ebooks from my device and downloaded a epub book but I it doesn't show up in the library either.

Also I have tried Albite ereader and I really like the turning pages---but the problem is its all in funny symbols and numbers. Ereader was like that but I change the configuration and at least I can read the books if I can get the ones I like to show up.

I can't find any kind of configuration thing for Albite, so I don't know how to get rid of the symbols and read my books in English.

Any advice please????

Thanks,
Bobby

you have to put the books in e/data/others folder on phone, hope this helps

Old 16-05-2011, 01:06 AM

hummrubb is on a distinguished road
Dorian has nice text rendering and a pretty interface, but I don't like the white text/blue background of the darkest theme. It should have a black background for better readability on AMOLED screens.

I've used Zxreader for a while also, it's nowhere near as pretty as Dorian but it's totally customizable. I usually convert my e-books to text format though.

Old 18-05-2011, 12:40 PM

madmixe is on a distinguished road
i've tried most of them but none are very good.

lately i've been using mBooks 2.0, got it from ovi over at http://store.ovi.com/content/113558 .

it's much better than the first versions, they fixed a lot of bugs and also added a sort of free store with a bunch of books already converted. a good way to waste some time when you're bored

Old 18-05-2011, 02:24 PM

evilweasel is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmixe View Post
i've tried most of them but none are very good.

lately i've been using mBooks 2.0, got it from ovi over at http://store.ovi.com/content/113558 .

it's much better than the first versions, they fixed a lot of bugs and also added a sort of free store with a bunch of books already converted. a good way to waste some time when you're bored

.....does it work, the reviews are not crash hot and this is your 1st post, so excuse my cynicism

Old 18-05-2011, 06:09 PM

hummrubb is on a distinguished road
I like Zxreader because you can completely customize everything from display settings to command shortcuts. It makes having a physical keypad a real blessing. I set it to use a black background to save power when reading and to move one page when tapping the screen. I just couldn't get used to Dorian's inertial scrolling - give me single page tap any day, forget the eye candy.

I've been trying Calibre on my Mac (calibre-ebook.com/download) to convert e-books into FB2, a format which Zxreader supports for basic graphics and bold/italics formatting. For basic documents I use TXT which also renders fine, if totally plain.

Old 19-05-2011, 01:20 PM

madmixe is on a distinguished road
Why should I recomended if it dosn't work? I used Dorian to...I'm just more pleased with mBooks, tought I spread the information. Thank you!

Old 20-05-2011, 04:37 AM

suzieJanine1dar is on a distinguished road
Hi Everyone
I'm new to This forum
it is great to join this Forum, hope i'm welcome in

Old 20-05-2011, 08:51 AM

loading2 is on a distinguished road
Hello!
Why do you think mbooks is so good?

Old 20-05-2011, 09:10 AM

evilweasel is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by loading2 View Post
Hello!
Why do you think mbooks is so good?
....because of their viral marketing

.........if someone with more than a couple of posts history says it works I may just pay for it, otherwise the reviews on Ovi are putting me off......

.....now if they did a 'lite' version for free to get a few people to try it and prove it works fine, then I'm sure a few more full version would be purchased

Old 20-05-2011, 12:56 PM

watty1964 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by boothy View Post
Hi All

I have just received my N8 and ereader pro works fine - much crisper with amoled screen and much faster to load books\pages etc . As stated in previous post I now usually convert my ebooks to palm ereader pro format so I cannot see any reason for attempting to load mobipocket.

Boothy
Just wanted to say that I've tried the eReader pro/Calibre combination and it works very well. Just remember to use the right font and to put the .PDB files in the mass memory\data\others folder. Thanks Boothy.

One minor irritation I have is with turning pages. If I set eReader pro to use swipe then I have to horizontally swipe to turn a page (I hold the phone in portrait orientation) when a vertical swipe would seem more obvious. If I set it to tap then it works fine but I would prefer swiping so I can always see the next but one sentence.

Is this the same behaviour that you're all seeing?

Old 20-05-2011, 07:36 PM

boothy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by watty1964 View Post
Just wanted to say that I've tried the eReader pro/Calibre combination and it works very well. Just remember to use the right font and to put the .PDB files in the mass memory\data\others folder. Thanks Boothy.

One minor irritation I have is with turning pages. If I set eReader pro to use swipe then I have to horizontally swipe to turn a page (I hold the phone in portrait orientation) when a vertical swipe would seem more obvious. If I set it to tap then it works fine but I would prefer swiping so I can always see the next but one sentence.

Is this the same behaviour that you're all seeing?
Hi watty1964

I know its all personal preference but I much prefer the `tap` option as it is a much more minimal gesture. Ergonomically I much prefer to read in portrait mode and therefore a small tap with the same hand holding the device means I do not have to put down the glass of wine (or more importantly not spill any!) between page turns.

The only slight criticism is that whatever type font I use in ereader pro (the pre installed fonts are pretty naff) - (I am currently using a humanist bold derivative) the `leading`(vertical space between lines)is never perfect - within the regular and narrow settings options - it is either too wide or too narrow - certainly not as good as the font spacing on my kindle. I will probably have to copy over a few more true type fonts and have another play although I have probably tried 20-30 to date. Any suggestions on font type gratefully appreciated

Thanks

Boothy