All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-12-2008, 10:48 AM

twinpeaked is on a distinguished road
a second device

I recently took receipt of an n85, I'm quite happy with it.

I got some birthday money that is burning a hole in my pocket, before ig to my phone i was sold on getting a second device (i had the ipod touch in mind) to have the best of both worlds (adding large screen estate, touch, rich internet apps) and to work as my consumption device.

I have a niggle in the back of my mind, that my phone can do alot of these things (not all of them well), for example I can browse we, my mains stays are RSSed which are automatically formated to the screen. web browsing is an example of okay functionality, i'm fine with my RSS feeds, but I'm not a fan of breaking that walled garden and browsing the whole web.

So i have some questions

with an advanced symbian phone do you think a "second device" is justifiable?

If you have a second device, what is it, what do you use it for, and what weaknesses of symbian do you think it covers?

answering these would be a get aid in helping me decide whether i will get one

twinpeaked
Ads

Old 04-12-2008, 05:05 PM

munkiii is on a distinguished road
have you looked at the Nokia N810 Internet Tablet?

For me it's for web browsing without limitations unlike the phone, such as flash and java things.

i use it for watching videos like youtube or films i've converted, better than the phone cause it's got a 4.1" screen.

Plus, it runs linux so you can install loads of apps on it, like office programs, paint like programs, and even full Debian OS to run GIMP Image Editor.

Also loads of games to play on it.

Last edited by munkiii; 04-12-2008 at 05:09 PM.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:41 PM

The n810 wold be on my short list if it was a little bit cheaper- if it was i think it would be a no brainer

can the n800 still cut it these days?

Old 05-12-2008, 06:14 PM

munkiii is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpeaked View Post
The n810 wold be on my short list if it was a little bit cheaper- if it was i think it would be a no brainer

can the n800 still cut it these days?
It's the same thing without the GPS or slide out keyboard, plus a sunlight readable screen.

except the n810 is abit smaller in all ways (width, height, depth).

i got mine off ebay brand new for £205 total.

One downside is that the n810 only has 1 memory card slot, but 2GB built in storage also.
The n800 has 2 slots for full size SD cards (64gb total).

Old 05-12-2008, 08:54 PM

radical24 is on a distinguished road
for everyday use i use n85 currently, for change of pace my good ole n95-3 and for excellent pictures, fp1 speed, stability, refinement i use my n82, i think that n82 or 79 tho it is similar to n85 but n85 inmo outperforms it could be of consideration to you, n82 is the most well balanced n series to date...its a true powerhouse and the fastest fp1 phone ever it truly rocks

Old 05-12-2008, 09:27 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Well i use my s60 device as my "everything all in one" device. Rss feeds, full web browsing (opera mini is excellent, default browser is good to as its the most powerful browser on the market with full flash and javascript), and my favorite was the impressive emtube for full youtube videos. Also loaded my movies, tv shows and full mp3 collection. The only time i use a secondary device is my nokia s40 6131 phone as a crap beater device, like i'd use it out on the lake in a boat.

If i had money to burn i dont really know what i would buy, cause honestly my n95 did everything in the world well for me. I use my roommate's ipod touch and it truly IS a great web surfing device while i'm sitting on the couch at home or whatever. But it never "did it" for me enough to actually want to own it.

The internet tablet has crossed my mind, but it always comes back to my idea that i really just like the all-in-one device.

So i dont think its justifiable per se to get a second ddevice is you have a high end symbian device like the n85. But as a phone nut i get that itch for a second device all the time just like you.

The only weakness of the current s60 phones, and the one thing that is lacking, is screen size and resolution. So as a second device i would probably say go with something with a nice big high res screen, like an internet tablet or ipod touch. Btw n97 was announced and literally solves these issues if you wanna wait for it.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:13 PM

Went for a netbook in the end, a second hand held device couldn't do enough extra to justify the cost, also they are on the larger side of pocketable and would probably find it tossed into a bag anyway. So i thought i may as well get a fully functioned computer.

The announcement of the n97 also influenced the decision. It proved that nokia are on task with touch, rich internet widget and the desire to turn phones into micro computers. The n97 has the form factor I think phones of that price range will largely adopt in the year 2010, which incidently is when my 18 month contract runs out. By then one will see a more refined and cheaper handset, up to 4 times the storage and more service integration (AND hopefully the operators will sort out their approach to data). This really puts a use bhy date on the second device, because it will just be superfuous by then

thanks for your opinions

twinpeaked

btw I do consent for this thread to be highjacked for similar discussion