All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 19-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Unregistered

If only they would hurry up and release the new iphod touch, then I would gladly enjoy both worlds (N86 and touchscreen)

Old 19-08-2009, 11:34 AM

sapporobaby is on a distinguished road
@yitwave & rafe,

I disagree a bit. For me AAS is an information repository. I see nothing wrong with Rafe pointing out info other than tutorials, or reviews. I think the info about Nokia is very relevant. Not necessarily from a shareholder point of view but from the view that Nokia, a brand that we like, is coming under hard times and as the article said, much of the damage is self-inflicted. This is big news to me as it can determine what Nokia will do next. It also brings us to the point of how are the sales, and recall figures for the N97 which is supposed to be a flagship phone but is clearly lacking in that department. For me, the article comparing the N86 and iPhone are connected to the internal Nokia problems because we see a competitor to Nokia coming on strongly while Nokia seems to be stuck in stasis. Maybe I am reading to much into things but I think AAS should report news of this sort to present an over all pictures.

My $.02.

Old 19-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Unregistered

Nokia sold 8.9m smartphones (countless models) in EMEA, 7% down in one year, Apple sold 1.9m (1 model), 900% up. Enough said.

Old 19-08-2009, 12:57 PM

snoyt is on a distinguished road
Improved zoom on the N86

A similar effect can be seen on the N97. It seems much better than on the N95 where saving then scaling seemed the better choice. The Nokia's jpeg compresses an image to about 1 MB. A zoomed image now actually benefits from the higher information density and hence more details and less artefacts for the area of interest than an unzoomed shot.
Ads

Old 19-08-2009, 03:14 PM

robertdh is on a distinguished road
@ james
Pardon my ignorance but you stated that you wanted a pocket computer so you
choose the iphone? sorry but there is some sort of irony in that statement from
where im sitting. pocket computer = iphone? certainly not in MY opinion...
surely there must be other devices that truly fit the description "pocket computer"
same way that the iphone is catergorized as a "smartphone" when truly it isnt.
pocket computer = E71/E75
for me the iphone is a great "media device/entertainment device" id go as far as saying a true powerhouse in relation to media...but pocket computer? no. smartphone? no
i have used the iphone 3gs and as beautiful as it does things it really misses the spot
as a "smartphone/pocket computer"....media sensation? definitely.
thats just MY opinion but to each his own they say.

Old 20-08-2009, 03:02 AM

ClockworkZombie is an unknown quantity at this point
Portable computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdh View Post
@ james
Pardon my ignorance but you stated that you wanted a pocket computer so you
choose the iphone? sorry but there is some sort of irony in that statement from
where im sitting. pocket computer = iphone? certainly not in MY opinion...
surely there must be other devices that truly fit the description "pocket computer"
same way that the iphone is catergorized as a "smartphone" when truly it isnt.
pocket computer = E71/E75
for me the iphone is a great "media device/entertainment device" id go as far as saying a true powerhouse in relation to media...but pocket computer? no. smartphone? no
i have used the iphone 3gs and as beautiful as it does things it really misses the spot
as a "smartphone/pocket computer"....media sensation? definitely.
thats just MY opinion but to each his own they say.
Why would you not see it as a pocket computer? I certainly see my iPod touch that way.

I can use email, instant messaging, web browse, compose documents run applications such as games, dictionaries and calculators.

I can do much the same things on my N95, I prefer to use my touch at home and the phone for work.

Old 20-08-2009, 07:26 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nokia sold 8.9m smartphones (countless models) in EMEA, 7% down in one year, Apple sold 1.9m (1 model), 900% up. Enough said.
It is not enough to be so simplistic. It's far easier to increase a low number than it is to maintain a high one. Nokia sold more units than apple by over 400%. Long way to go yet.

Old 20-08-2009, 08:17 AM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
I disagree with Rafe's idea that Nokia's trouble with the high-end segment of the market affects it only on the short term.
A phone manufacturer's lineup is like a pipeline. Advanced features introduced in high-end handsets over time trickle down, as they become less and less expensive to implement, to mid-tiers, and eventually to low-end phones. A 5MPx camera was something unheard of when it was introduced in the N95, and yet nowadays it has become a standard feature in all N-series phones. As a matter of fact, the feature set of the N95 has shaped most of the current Nokia mid-tier smartphone lineup. The problem facing Nokia today is that the high-end portion of the pipeline is empty. Quite honestly, I wouldn't consider the "flagship" N97 high-end, but rather mid-tier. And this situation has dire long-term consequences. Which of the current "flagships" will mold Nokia's future mid-tier offering? There are no obvious candidates.
When did Motorola start to implode? If you ask the average joe, he'll tell you when the company started posting huge losses and losing marketshare. But many analysts detected the impending collapse much sooner, namely shortly after the release of the RAZR, when the company decided to stop innovating and instead focused on releasing variations and small updates on the RAZR design.
I think Nokia finds itself today in a situation similar to the one in which Motorola was a few years ago. Yes, the N95 was a big success, but since then every N-series released has been a rehash of it. Nokia is a much bigger company than Motorola, so it will take much longer for it to arrive to the same sorry state in which Moto is today. This buys them more time to change course, but, unless they do, they're headed on the same self-destructive path. I believe Goldman-Sachs are reacting to this, and not some short-term performance concerns.
In fairness, the rationales that brought Nokia and Motorola to stop innovating were very different. In Motorola's case, it was pure irresponsibility: they truly believed that they could sell RAZRs indefinitely. In Nokia's case, there was the belief that a set of successful and well-integrated set of services would make up for lacklustre hardware. However, it's time for Nokia to realize that, with a single exception (Maps), Ovi services have been a colossal failure. It would be great if it managed to salvage some of its services, but now it's now time to start again designing compelling hardware.

Last edited by rvirga; 20-08-2009 at 08:24 AM.

Old 20-08-2009, 08:39 AM

sapporobaby is on a distinguished road
@rvirga,

I applaud your post. It was right on the money. To think that Nokia's problems are short term is to miss the point that just about every phone for the last few years is simply a rehash of another phone. Nokia used to set the standard but now they are becoming also rans. Yes, they can bleed market share for a year or so but eventually it will catch up to them. While the iPhone may not break technological ground it does break new ground in user experience and ease of operation. This has nothing to do with multi-tasking as the iPhone really does not need to multi-task as it is not a biz phone. The few apps that Apple allow to multi-task: Mail, iPod, Mobile Safari all work flawless with little or no notice to the user. Nokia's N97 flagship cannot say the same. The phone is lacking in so many ways and shows that Nokia decided to build it on the cheap and hope that consumers would not notice. I would be interested to see the return rate on the N97. Ovi is basically, too little, too late. Love them or hate them again Apple set the standard with their App Store. The integration of the store and iTunes has proven to be an unbeatable combination.

Old 20-08-2009, 12:09 PM

dlff is on a distinguished road
N86 8mp getting hot

Hi guys,
I am just wondering if any users of N86 ever notice of phone getting heated up after a certain amount of usage?
This is what I noticed on my phone doing some tinkering on the setting.
I also happen to own an iphone 3GS & it gets heated up to if you serve the net or play games. No where as bad as the N86.
Thank you.

Old 20-08-2009, 09:41 PM

ClockworkZombie is an unknown quantity at this point
Moto problems

The one event that caused Motorola to stop innovating was the untimely death of the fellow who designed the razr, after that they kinda fell in a heap.

Old 21-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Unregistered

robertdh, the 3GS is a pocket computer more powerfull than anything has at the moment. Period.

Apple does limit its potential, but with a 10 minute easy process you can untap all its potential (jailbreaking)...then it does anything you want...without slowdowns or memory problems

Old 26-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Unregistered

Is that the WElsh Hawking Centre ????

Old 06-12-2009, 06:36 AM
Unregistered

Talking

it would be nice to see nokia bring out firmware that does not compress the photos after you take them, and it would be nice to an image stabalizer in the still photo compartment in the next firmware!