All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-03-2009, 12:26 AM

joele is on a distinguished road
Problems with E71 (not very stable device so far)

OK only had for almost two weeks and updated to latest firmware (though I suspect that made it worse?)

1 - mainly to do with the home screen, the information at the bottom of the screen regarding SMSs (where you can highlight and preview them) comes up for the first 5-6 hours after a reset (maybe 12) then stops working and the only notice of an email or sms is the small icon on the top right. Sometimes for email I don't even get that icon..

2 - Once (before I upgraded firmware) the SD card just randomly wiped itself after installing a new app..

3 - random loss of menu changes, I set up my own folders and moved a lot of stuff around. randomly when I try to install something new it doesn't install and all the menu folders/layout refresh back to default.. (happend twice now). Rearrange, reset and then try and install the same app again and everything is fine. Except after the rearrange some apps are missing, I reinstall them and it asks if I want to replace them.. I say yes and they reappear in the menu..

4 - Emails, I tell it to download 5k (not just warn me) every hour, sometimes it downloads but other times it just warns of mail but doesn't download (or just gets headers).. <- might try nokia messanging to see if this solves that problem.

I'm really surprised but I am finding the stability in general much worse than windows mobile was, except for bluetooth that seems to work really well but general usage I find I have to reset every day or two to solve minor glitches that keep recurring..

Point 1 bothers me the most as it happens every single day..

MORE INFO

memory card is the 2gb one that came with my e71..

As for software
- I bought SBSH Calendar and Safe Wallet
- I am trialling Handy Clock, profiles, shopper and Taskman
- Xbrowser
- Trial of Total Recall
- Games - two java ones (aces hold em, sudoku) and Astraware boardgames and solitaire

I have emailed Nokia support but no response as yet..

Last edited by joele; 19-03-2009 at 12:28 AM.

Old 19-03-2009, 12:33 PM

DervMan is on a distinguished road
Wow; your experience is very different from mine.

Until recently, the only way I could crash my E71 was if I tried the voice dial. A factory reset cured that problem though.

I'm guessing you're accessing email via POP3 rather than IMAP? It did take me a while to accept the E71's standard email client (it's a bit basic really) and I still miss the lack of ability to download email bodies without being told when using an IMAP account, but I prefer the look and feel of it to anything else I've tried. Plus it handles SmartConnect's connection changes really well, happily switching from GPRS to WLAN.

Nokia Messaging is a great application, though - it works really well. Its weaknesses are in the look and style of the application (hardly a weakness) and it doesn't want to let go of the GPRS signal when I get home and it has that tasty WLAN connection.

Back on topic, I think that points one and four are the same issue. I've read that some E71s just stop connecting to their email account. Mine hasn't done this... so far...

For point two, I've not experienced a trashed MicroSD card either. You didn't have it encrypted, did you? For point three I've never had a menu reset like this either... it might be faulty hardware?

Ultimately, I can't offer much help, because my E71 has been original BlackBerry Curve reliable in the four months I've had it...
Ads

Old 19-03-2009, 11:52 PM

mmm, I reinstalled the current firmware (redownloaded too) and SO FAR (fingers crossed) it seems to be working fine..

I switched to using nokia messaging too, not the default internal one, so much easier to read emails now and seems to do what I tell it not random things..

Can say about the menu resets yet, hasn't been long enough, but SMS warnings have been working for 24 hours now (on home screen) which is more than it ever has before since I upgraded the firmware the first time.. Funny if it was a bad upgrade as it said everything went fine..

Nokia also responded and said I would have to send it in for them to look at if it continues...

P.S. I am also getting this thing where when not in use you can see the time on the screen always (don't have to press button).. It never did this, but maybe it does as I turned the 'heartbeat' off..

P.P.S. The java version of the YOUTUBE app never worked before, crashed constantly and could never play a video, now it works fine... same JAR file as before...

Old 21-03-2009, 10:30 PM

well seems to be all good now..

hard reset didn't help but redownloading and reinstalling firmware from the PC to the phone, fixed everything...

Old 23-03-2009, 01:12 PM

DervMan is on a distinguished road
How very strange! Sounds like something was corrupt before but now it's been refreshed, it's working properly.