All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 29-06-2009, 06:58 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia N86 8MP Review - Part 2 - The Camera/Camcorder

Rafe and I present part 2 of our extended review of the new Nokia N86 8MP, in which I look in detail at the improvements made in the camera hardware, directly affecting still photo and video capture in a wide range of lighting conditions, and with special reference to the output of the N95, of which the N86 is something of a spiritual successor. See also our Nokia N86 8MP Review - Part 1 - Overview

Read on in the full article.

Old 29-06-2009, 07:05 AM
symbiote

Question

why didnt you compare its detail with the innov8???
many other websites have claimed it to have less detail than the other 8mp cam phones

Old 29-06-2009, 07:48 AM

smellati is on a distinguished road
the n86 is not a lot better than the n82. In fact, the n82 is better in some aspects.

Same can be said about the n97 vs the n95.

Seems like nokia is moving more sideways than forward.

Maybe nokia is too big for their own good.

Old 29-06-2009, 07:59 AM
Unregistered

Thanks Steve. Can you tell us about fan photos, how accurate is carpet color in N86? Also can you give us some more photos of moving objects (pets, kids..) as they are quite difficult to capture, so we can see this motion blur, variable aperture, fast focus at work. Cheers, Miki

Old 29-06-2009, 08:07 AM

miki69 is on a distinguished road
Hi Steve, can you please tell us more about scene modes (close-up, sport, night mode..) does it make a difference?. This part of camera features haven't been touched at all.

Last edited by miki69; 29-06-2009 at 08:10 AM.

Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbiote View Post
why didnt you compare its detail with the innov8???
many other websites have claimed it to have less detail than the other 8mp cam phones
Because it's a 28mm cam and captures a wider field when taking photos at the same location, hence by having lesser details...?

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Good phone and reasonable upgrade IMO.

Everyone should remember that not everyone finds its feasible (or necessary) to upgrade their phone everytime a new one is released. Hence, not many many people that buy the n86 will not necessarily be upgrading from the n95 or the n82. If you compare the n86 to the many options available out there, it still comes out as a good phone to switch to, especially for people who dont switch very frequently.

Old 29-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by miki69 View Post
Hi Steve, can you please tell us more about scene modes (close-up, sport..) does it make a difference?. This part of camera features hasn't been touched at all.
Camera Nitty Gritty time for you, I say!

Old 29-06-2009, 08:12 AM

miki69 is on a distinguished road
Thanks, I've read that article . However my question is if there are any N86 improvements in this scene mode area. BR

Last edited by miki69; 29-06-2009 at 08:15 AM.

Old 29-06-2009, 08:43 AM

Kazutoyo is on a distinguished road
I think the N86 did surprisingly well in the fan test, so that was nice. But it's nothing that will make me rush out and buy the device.

Old 29-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Unregistered

But the details of the pictures captured by Pixon12 are far better than the N86. The guys over at GSMarena criticised N86 a lot, saying that it is worse than Innov8. Is this true?

Old 29-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
But the details of the pictures captured by Pixon12 are far better than the N86. The guys over at GSMarena criticised N86 a lot, saying that it is worse than Innov8. Is this true?
Mostly true due to immature software algorithms. Expect this to improve once Nokia gets moving and releases updates.

Quote:
The noise reduction is also much more aggressive in the N86 8MP results, eradicating all fine detail and giving the photos a distinct oil-painting look. The photos however aren't any less noisy than the INNOV8, which either means that the N86 sensor isn't as good in this aspect or the algorithm is a total failure. Either way, the Samsung INNOV8 snatches a point here as well.

Old 29-06-2009, 09:20 AM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellati View Post
the n86 is not a lot better than the n82. In fact, the n82 is better in some aspects.

Same can be said about the n97 vs the n95.

Seems like nokia is moving more sideways than forward.

Maybe nokia is too big for their own good.
Agree! And the big question is, why N82 and itīs Xenon flash as keep away of test? Because the interior and low light photos are far away better then the ones of N86? Itīs the case? I think it is... itīs because of that, that the DSC makers, like Canon, Nikon and others, donīt do an DSC with LED instead of Xenon flash.
Nokia are on sideways, with the same boring, really boring, screen resolution. I already try one N86, and itīs the same phone, like previous ones, with low light photos of interior magazine, worst that the ones of N82 and itīs a heavy phone. For that, without Xenon Flash, I think that N95 8G itīs better...
Letīs see witch itīs the next one...
Ads

Old 29-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj7 View Post
Agree! And the big question is, why N82 and itīs Xenon flash as keep away of test? Because the interior and low light photos are far away better then the ones of N86? Itīs the case? I think it is... itīs because of that, that the DSC makers, like Canon, Nikon and others, donīt do an DSC with LED instead of Xenon flash.
Nokia are on sideways, with the same boring, really boring, screen resolution. I already try one N86, and itīs the same phone, like previous ones, with low light photos of interior magazine, worst that the ones of N82 and itīs a heavy phone. For that, without Xenon Flash, I think that N95 8G itīs better...
Letīs see witch itīs the next one...
Really? Please look at the battery life advantage the N86 has over the N95 8GB.

It's heavy because of all the premium materials used, what with a glass screen and all.

Xenon is good for photographs, but you sure don't see any Videos using Xenon. You'd melt the phone before 1 min of footage.

N82 being unused - What use is Xenon in broad day light? It's specifically mentioned to be a non flash based shoot out. Also, N82 WAS tested. http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/revie...sung_I8510.php

Also, Xenon tends to be far too bright sometimes, with TREMENDOUS reflections. It's a PITA to take photo's with when there's a reflective surface near...

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/Camera_Nitty_Gritty-part_2.php
Having then presented the pros and cons of LED/dual-LED/Xenon flash-equipped phones, the decision is, as usual, not really clear cut. If low light photos are common for you (an active night social life?) then having a Xenon flash on board really is essential, despite the hits on cost and battery life.

If flash-snaps are only an occasional thing then a dual LED flash will do nicely - I've hopefully demonstrated above how much better a dual LED unit is than a single. And it should be noted that technology is improving LED flashes all the time - I'd lay a safe bet that the individual LEDs in the N79's dual unit are each quite a bit brighter than the one in the Nokia N95, which in turn is a lot brighter than the pitiful LED in the N93.
PLEASE, READ THE F--KING SITE BEFORE COMMENTING. And do try to use good English. At least keep the sentence structure, if not the grammar of your sentences correct...

Old 29-06-2009, 09:49 AM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Really?

Yes, really, look at the price also!

PLEASE, READ THE F--KING SITE BEFORE COMMENTING.
I read, all... for so many years...

And do try to use good English.
Try read and write with 7 different languages, and English, of course itīs not my native one...