All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia N80

Old 27-05-2006, 12:28 AM

lbeetles is on a distinguished road
i was using Windows Media Centre, but i have not changed to normal Windows and it works fine.
Ads

Old 27-05-2006, 01:02 AM

octheme is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbeetles
I have a linksys WAG54GS and XAMPP web server installed and i can't for the life of me get the gallery to detect any home network, has anyone had any luck with this yet?
I had loads of probs doing this, I had the phone using the wireless lan to browse the internet no problem, but it just would not show in the gallery > home network... UNTIL ... basically you have to add the Mac address of the phone (get by pressing *#62209526#) to the wireless router config as Allow in the Access List. Everything should work now.

Old 27-05-2006, 10:27 AM
nickprice

I've found this aspect fustrating. One of the resons I chose the N80 was for the uPnP support. The phone finds my computer with Home Media Server running but none of the ones with Windows Media Connect (WMC). Surely it should be compatiable with WMC? I have once or twice found the computer running WMC but cannot access it.

I am tempted to try the web server route but I wanted the ability to beam pics to my friends computers if they started up WMC (most people will have this installed). Requiring 3rd party software defeats the whole point?

Old 16-06-2006, 07:16 PM

pvolpe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLesleyson
I got the home network setup and can browse to media on my PC, but if I try and play the media it starts playing on my PC, not on the phone... you can copy media from the PC to the phone, but as far as I can tell you cannot stream media from your PC to the phone - is this right?

I have exactly the same problem. I can't get it to stream through the phone at all. Anyone have a solution?

Old 16-06-2006, 07:24 PM

Cash is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvolpe
I have exactly the same problem. I can't get it to stream through the phone at all. Anyone have a solution?
Ok it may not be a solution to your problem, but its a work around.

If you are connected to the net, then install orb (www.orb.com) and you will be able to stream all your media, pictures, music, video and live tv over the net to your N80.

Old 16-06-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash
Ok it may not be a solution to your problem, but its a work around.

If you are connected to the net, then install orb (www.orb.com) and you will be able to stream all your media, pictures, music, video and live tv over the net to your N80.
don't you need to have your computer connected to a tv input though or can you just use it as a host for our 3gp files?

Old 16-06-2006, 07:29 PM

Quote:
don't you need to have your computer connected to a tv input though or can you just use it as a host for our 3gp files?
if you want to stream live tv yes you have to have a TV card in your PC, but all other files will stream if you dont have a TV card

Old 16-06-2006, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash
if you want to stream live tv yes you have to have a TV card in your PC, but all other files will stream if you dont have a TV card
thanks, I'll give this a try.

Old 16-06-2006, 07:33 PM

Quote:
thanks, I'll give this a try.
Ok..it works real well because you can stream to your N80 anywhere you can find a wifi hotspot or a wireless network

Old 16-06-2006, 07:42 PM

sounds neat.

I have cable tv and my feed goes directly to my cable box. If I bypass the digibox then I only get a few channels. One of my feeds is set up through a modem and then to a wireless router for my broadband supply - I am assuming that I will have to feed an independant cable from my wall to the tv input on the computer.

I wonder if I can use an s-video cable from my tv to my laptop? and then stream this?

Old 01-07-2006, 11:42 PM

caspre12 is on a distinguished road
Would it be possible to stream something like the channel4 simulcast to your N80 using Orb?

Old 02-07-2006, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspre12
Would it be possible to stream something like the channel4 simulcast to your N80 using Orb?
As long as you have a compatable TV card for orb in your PC and orb installed you will be able to stream any TV channel to your N80 through Orb

Old 03-07-2006, 02:04 PM

TazUk is on a distinguished road
Just my 2 cents here re media..

Finished installing a Buffalo LinkStation Home Server NAS 300GB (model HS-D300GL) on my home network last weekend - once I'd setup the built in DLNA compliant media server (PCCast) I was able to browse media via the N80 and copy photos etc to the phone. Bit of a bonus as I was mainly interested in the product for common backup and storage of files from other PCs round the house..

I haven't got as far as checking out streaming etc but I'll tack the results onto this thread when I do. Only limitations I've spotted so far is that the current (linkstation) firmware only permits one folder being setup for streaming..
and that's exactly what's right about it.

William Gibson

Old 04-07-2006, 10:35 PM

alfa145 is on a distinguished road
Just been playing, looks like the n80 doesn't support smb, so no browsing to a windows machine. I ran a quick port scan against the IP of the phone on the wlan - it returns ping but all ports tcp & udp are shut.

Wonder how long it'll be before something whether malicious or not installs an ftp/telnet/remote control shell.

Old 05-07-2006, 05:07 PM

scad2k is on a distinguished road
can some one give a step-by-step guide for doing this?