All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-04-2010, 12:41 PM

spirit44 is on a distinguished road
there is no doubt about it, in terms of features nothing comes close to the N97, its a cracking device..............on paper

but reality for me was that i could never trust it to work when i wanted, when you pick it up you just don't know which combination of features are actually available at that moment in time- the rest will crash it.

I really wish my desire had 32GB on board. My N97 did- but it couldn't deal with 4500 photos I had on there (which only amounted to circa 2GB). i've have more than that on the Desire and it hasn't crashed once. Not once. on My N97 when i went into photos about 50% of the time it would freeze and i would have to pull the battery. No point having 32GB if i can't use it.

The main difference for me is that the Desire is actually a joy to use, i want to play with it, do stuff on it etc. In the last few weeks i just couldn't be bothered with the N97, i was tired of the resistive screen and crashes and man it was slow, so slow.

But you guys are right, if you are willing to live with its 'issues', then features wise it is top, and its still top in my opinion, nothing touches it.

Old 19-04-2010, 05:05 PM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringent View Post
It is a good device, just let down by sluggishness for me. Its getting to the point where its annoying. Sometimes takes a while to open/send text messages. By a while I mean 10-15 seconds. Sure it doesn't sound a lot but if you are like me and send loads then its very annoying. The web browser isn't fluid enough, sometimes I have had it hang and crash.

I am sure for a normal person the N97 is fine. For those of us who really put any device through their paces and use it the way its meant to be used, are probably annoyed with it.

If the Desire was on O2 I probably would have upgraded by now.
Was in the O2 shop today, looking through their 'catalogue' and the Desire is 'coming soon' so you may be able to get it hold of it in the next few weeks.

So, the dilemma is: buy a phone with fewer features but which is much nicer and easier to use, or stick with the N97 which is a pain. ( That proposition sounds like the marketing ploy that Apple use when pushing the iPhone - simple phone, easy to use and thousands of apps. ).

When I was looking at the Desire in CPW, I asked if I could bring in my Macbook and see how the two devices can sync with each other, so might try that tomorrow and see if I can reach a level of satisfaction.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 19-04-2010, 09:48 PM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit44 View Post
there is no doubt about it, in terms of features nothing comes close to the N97, its a cracking device..............on paper

but reality for me was that i could never trust it to work when i wanted, when you pick it up you just don't know which combination of features are actually available at that moment in time- the rest will crash it.

I really wish my desire had 32GB on board. My N97 did- but it couldn't deal with 4500 photos I had on there (which only amounted to circa 2GB). i've have more than that on the Desire and it hasn't crashed once. Not once. on My N97 when i went into photos about 50% of the time it would freeze and i would have to pull the battery. No point having 32GB if i can't use it.

The main difference for me is that the Desire is actually a joy to use, i want to play with it, do stuff on it etc. In the last few weeks i just couldn't be bothered with the N97, i was tired of the resistive screen and crashes and man it was slow, so slow.

But you guys are right, if you are willing to live with its 'issues', then features wise it is top, and its still top in my opinion, nothing touches it.
It's just the inevitable trade off.

Do I take style, performance and quality over what is some pretty good (if basic) features that no other phone is doing yet!

I mean come on, integrated SIP module, 32 Gig onboard memory, and act as USB Mass Storage drive. It's not too much to ask is it? iPhone comes closest, but still you can't hook it up in mass storage mode unless you jailbreak it.

What a swizz.

Old 21-04-2010, 05:04 AM

phazlehurst is on a distinguished road
go Go... Nexus One... as super, long time Nokian... gave up my N97...

Use my 97 as a music hard drive in my BMW 550GT... good for music storage, but actually bloody slow since USB2 = USB0.1... will dump it shortly.

P

Old 21-04-2010, 08:23 AM

stringent is on a distinguished road
Yeah the Desire has been coming soon on O2 for a while. "End Of April" according to their site. Then we have the iPhone 4G with a micro SIM instead ... Hmmm.

Plus I KNOW the Desire links up fine to my BMW Bluetooth. The N97 doesn't, despite numerous tries and attempts.

Old 21-04-2010, 11:05 AM

Sadly, my BMW doesn't have Bluetooth ( is this a BMW Owners Club? ) as it's an older model now, so have to rely on the FM Transmitter with the N97 - but I am impressed with the sound quality. Previously had a Pajero ( Shogun ) and had fitted an aftermarket head unit into that, but the reception with the FMT was terrible. For some reason, the N97 and the car's stereo just seem to work really well together.
RM-530
E72-1
Ads

Old 21-04-2010, 03:40 PM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringent View Post
Yeah the Desire has been coming soon on O2 for a while. "End Of April" according to their site. Then we have the iPhone 4G with a micro SIM instead ... Hmmm.

Plus I KNOW the Desire links up fine to my BMW Bluetooth. The N97 doesn't, despite numerous tries and attempts.
That's good news! My Nokia didn't work with the car either. I've not been able to try the desire with the car though because the blue tooth module is broken. It's in the garage today getting fixed, but I'm not getting it back this evening as planned because they've managed to brick the I drive and now the car won't start!

So, its not just phone firmware installs that can go wrong!

Old 25-04-2010, 10:06 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Sad to say but I, too, switched to a nexus one a month ago. My first non Nokia symbian phone in almost 4 years. For now android is just a whole new world for me compared to symbian. At least that's my opinion. I just finally sold my n97 mini this week. I'm truly sad cause I want to stay with Nokia. But to be quite honest HTC has really impressed me with this nexus hardware. Android is treating me very well so far.

Old 25-04-2010, 10:15 PM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
Is the lack of onboard memory a problem? How about the single speaker in the back? How comparable is it to the N97? I really want to get a Nexus One and just hoping for some favourable reviews.

Old 26-04-2010, 01:50 AM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdean View Post
Is the lack of onboard memory a problem? How about the single speaker in the back? How comparable is it to the N97? I really want to get a Nexus One and just hoping for some favourable reviews.

The memory hasn't been a problem yet. You can install a good amount of apps before running out. But it will eventually be a problem, but the next update is supposed to allow using the memory card. The speaker is a little low, but still live with it. Compared to my n97 mini its a big difference all around so no matter what its totally worth it.

Remember all those issues are solved if you root the phone. The loudspeaker and ear piece volume are increased a lot. And you can then also install apps to the memory card. So considering how easy it is to root, plus all the benefits you get from rooting, seems like no big deal to me.

Old 26-04-2010, 11:44 AM

Rooting seems to be a bit of an issue with android phones, at least that's the impression I got when reading through the various forums. Many folk seems to be a bit wary of it, and as usual, the main caveat being taht it void any warranty on the device. However, the benefits are not that clear to me - the biggest and perhaps the most important, is being allowed to store apps on the SD card instead of the device memory.

Is it a bit like debranding a Nokia device? Not the process or the mechanics of it, but rather the attitude of being happy to tackle a task like that, which I suspect many 'average' phone users won't be too confident about.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 26-04-2010, 03:07 PM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
I have to admit, rooting/debranding does make me a bit frightened when i read the instructions.

Luckily, T-mobile haven't really done much to my phone apart from a splash screen and a "W&W" writen over the internet shortcut so for the time being I'm leaving it.

App memory also hasn't been an issue, and to be honest, if it runs out of space there are plenty that I don't use that I could remove.

Old 26-04-2010, 04:25 PM

craigyb is on a distinguished road
After 3 weeks with the HTC Desire I'm going to get rid of it. It's a great phone, really fast, but several things dissappoint me, some of which I have no solution for.

1. When connected to my Audi, the phone rings, I answer, but the stereo stays on playing music and I can't hear anyone or the call drops itself. The second time they call back it works. No other phone have tried does this with the Audi 3G MMI system.

2. No rSAP support, so signal very poor in the car. I knew about this, but half the time I can't even receive a call in the car, loss of signal for long periods of time in an A6 with normal glass and an S8 with athermic glass.

3. When taking the phone out of my top pocket to answer it cuts the caller off because for some reason I touch the power button when reaching for the phone. I have started putting the phone in my pocket upside down just to make sure I don't touch anything before I use the screen slider.

4. The SD card corrupted on me after 2 weeks and I lost all the pics I had taken and all the data I had stored on the 16GB card. This is a known fault with Android OS.

5. The phone is far too sensitive for it's own good. Picking it up or putting it down changes the screen it's on. Quite annoying. Volume buttons too sensitive too.

Sorry for being so negative as for the first few weeks I loved this phone, but now it's a pain in the backside.

I fit Audi OEM phone kits as part of my business and the quality of calls to my own cars over the past 3 weeks has been terrible, not exactly a good advert for my work.

Old 26-04-2010, 05:06 PM

DriftNismo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
I too have my eyes on the Desire as a replacement, but it will cost me as I am locked into a long contract still with Vodafone. :( So I am not sure what I will do.
You could always find out about Desire rooting/unlocking, buy a handset and just use it with your current sim. That's what I did when I got rid of my Hero after about 3 months of use to use my iPhone 3G on the same T-Mobile contract. Solves all problems.

Old 29-04-2010, 08:26 AM

stringent is on a distinguished road
My HTC Desire is coming today, ordered it offline. Stop gap till either the N8 shows totally different, or Dell's Lightning looks like it will fit the bill for me!