All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 24-02-2010, 02:26 PM

8Ball is on a distinguished road
Nokia E-mail Problems

Hi,

I'm having problems with Nokia Messaging E-mail ver 10.2. It all works fine regarding syncing email and using various access points, but it doesn't disconnect.

I select Tools -> Go Offline and then exit the program, but my wifi or 3G connection is still active. I've even then stopped the connection through my phone settings, but it just starts up again.

The only way I can stop the data connection is to turn my phone off and on again. Then if I check my email the problem starts all over again.

I've only had this problem since upgrading to the latest version of the app and I've had the problem on the last version of the firmware and the latest one too (I upgraded my firmware last night). So it definitely appears to be a problem with ver 10.2 of email. Anyone else had this?

Thanks
8Ball

Old 24-02-2010, 02:47 PM

stringent is on a distinguished road
Yes I have it. The only way to disconnect is to go to

Settings -> Connectivity -> Connection Mgr - > and end that connection.

It will say something wants to connect to the Internet, but just say no.

Old 24-02-2010, 11:41 PM

Idle Mind is on a distinguished road
There's a quicker route than that - if you tap the top right of the screen where the wifi notification is it'll bring up a little window with the name of the connection, press that and you should be able to disconnect it from there.

I have noticed that problem on occasion too, but for me it only seemed to to be certain situations, like if I download an attachment or view emails in html and it has pictures in it.

Old 25-02-2010, 05:18 AM

Thanks guys. I don't think I made it clear, but I use the methods above to close connection. My problem is within seconds it reopens again. I don't get a prompt to allow it reconnect it just does it on it's own.

Old 25-02-2010, 08:12 AM

stringent is on a distinguished road
Not had that ... Who is your phone with? Is it branded at all?

Old 25-02-2010, 08:14 AM

zxon is on a distinguished road
A quick way to end a 3G/GPRS connection: on the homescreen, press and hold the red call key. A notification window pops up asking if you want to end the connection. Sadly it doesn't seem to work for WiFi connections.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open
Ads

Old 27-02-2010, 08:45 PM

fldude99 is on a distinguished road
The replies here aren't reading what the op is saying. I have the same problem..this "new" version of NM does not release the access point. If you try to end it manually it reconnects immediately. I think Nokia must be aware of this bug

Old 28-02-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldude99 View Post
The replies here aren't reading what the op is saying. I have the same problem..this "new" version of NM does not release the access point. If you try to end it manually it reconnects immediately. I think Nokia must be aware of this bug
That's exactly the problem. No matter how many times I close down the connection it reopens immediately. It will even shift from WiFi to GSM depending on where I move.

It obviously affects the battery life and so I've stopped using the application.

Old 28-02-2010, 06:31 PM

fldude99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
That's exactly the problem. No matter how many times I close down the connection it reopens immediately. It will even shift from WiFi to GSM depending on where I move.

It obviously affects the battery life and so I've stopped using the application.
The only way I've found to disconnect when it's supposed to be offline is to reboot the phone. As that is a ridiculous thing, I not only stopped using it, but uninstalled it until they release yet another "improved" version