All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 26-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia X6 16GB announced - new colours, without CwM

Nokia today announced the X6 16GB device. The X6 16GB comes in a range of new colours: black, white, white with pink highlights and white with yellow highlights. Compared to original X6 there's no Comes with Music included and the internal memory has dropped from 32 GB to 16 GB. The X6 will be available in shops this quarter.

Read on in the full article.

Old 26-01-2010, 06:05 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
The original X6 traded the lack of a microsd slot with 32GB onboard, which was a fair deal. With just 16GB and still no microsd slot, this new version is a complete failure. A 5800 XM + 16GB microsd card combo would be a much better deal, because (1) you can upgrade it to 32GB, when the larger capacity cards arrive, and (2) you can get it for around 200. Nokia is basically charging 150 for the privilege of using a capacitive screen instead of a resistive one.

Old 26-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvirga View Post
The original X6 traded the lack of a microsd slot with 32GB onboard, which was a fair deal. With just 16GB and still no microsd slot, this new version is a complete failure. A 5800 XM + 16GB microsd card combo would be a much better deal, because (1) you can upgrade it to 32GB, when the larger capacity cards arrive, and (2) you can get it for around 200. Nokia is basically charging 150 for the privilege of using a capacitive screen instead of a resistive one.
A capacitive screen and a 5MP camera plus Symbian ^2 features. 150 for these is still a bit much but the 5800 was more than 200 on release (apart from a special CPW launch deal) and it remains to be seen what the 16GB X6 will actually retail for. I suspect a bit less than is quoted here, the Nokia store price.

"Complete failure" is a massive exageration, many people won't use anything near that. I have used 3GB of my 8GB card after a year.

Old 26-01-2010, 07:35 PM

LOL @ "Symbian^2 features". Reality check: (1) it's still Symbian^1, and (2) with firmware v40 the 5800 has the same "Symbian^2 features".
16GB non-expandable on a music-centric phone like the X6 is a complete failure. And, btw, 32GB microsd cards from Samsung (and probably from Sandisk too) are coming as soon as next month, so this new X6 is going to be obsolete as soon as it hits the market.

Old 26-01-2010, 07:48 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
So any phone that has a music player (I don't otherwise understand why X6 is particularly music sentric knowing that it doesn't have CWM), internal mass storage but no MicroSD slot is a complete failure then?

Old 26-01-2010, 08:01 PM
sks111

Angry what can i say!?

what else you are getting besides capacitive screen

- a lots of messed up ports on the front - ugly look
- no usb charging
- same notorious UI
- blockish, no curves, cheap plasticky, tall, thick ( even fatter than moto driod that also has keyboard! what the heck is this the specialty of nokia design team)
- slow processor, slow browser
- no gestures
- no slickness
- no innovation/creation
- HEFTY PRICE TAG (no no i am not going to buy that!)

is this u r expecting from high end music phone!

Old 26-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Unregistered

rvirga appears to be on some strange planet of his own.

I'm not defending this phone because I don't particularly like this one or the CwM one but to suggest obselescence because Samsung have a 32GB card is idiotic in the extreme.

And it is not rvirga that decides what is a total failure, it is the market. And the market does not necessarily have the same needs and buying requirement of a self-centred forum poster. The actual price and performance of this phone in the market remains to be seen. Most people are not specification obsessed. Most people will not need even 16GB.

Of course, rvirga knows better than everyone else because rvirga is a genius. Or self-important troglodyte.

Old 26-01-2010, 09:03 PM

ILoveGadgets is on a distinguished road
Why does there always have to be a "but". Why can't they release the X6 without CwM without sacrificing the internal memory! TBH though, I still wouldn't buy it as I have loads of music and my current 32 GB is not enough, so without the option of a MicroSD card then for me it is no use.

BTW, I am actually with rvirga on this one on the basis that I do not carry cables around with my phone and if I want to transfer content from PC to Phone or vice versa when at work, I (like many, many people) use the SD card. I certainly take the point that most users will possibly not need that amount of storage, but also remember this is a phone that will need to last the average joe on the street 18 months minimum and when you add up video clips, iplayer, music, photos etc, you may well find that 16gb is used more quickly than you think.

Anyway, horses for courses.

ILG

Old 26-01-2010, 09:07 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by viipottaja View Post
So any phone that has a music player (I don't otherwise understand why X6 is particularly music sentric knowing that it doesn't have CWM), internal mass storage but no MicroSD slot is a complete failure then?
Exactly what I was thinking. On that basis, the iPhone 3GS 16GB must be a complete failure then....

Some people will find anything to complain about.
Ads

Old 26-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Unregistered

I can see this phone selling by the bucket loads, literally...

How many can you fit in a bucket? Not a lot...

Old 27-01-2010, 01:12 AM
Unregistered

as far as I know, Nokia is adding a microSD slot in it also. Because a Nokia official informed me that it will also come with a newer firmware version aswell as a micro SD slot and microUSB charging support.

Old 27-01-2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viipottaja View Post
Do you know what the 'X' in X6 stands for? Would it surprise you to learn that it stands for XpressMusic? It's not me who labels these phones as music-centric, it's Nokia.
According to Nokia, XpressMusic phones produce better sound, both using headphones than playing through the speakers, than an average phone with a music player. If you don't believe that's true, blame Nokia for lying to its customers .

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. On that basis, the iPhone 3GS 16GB must be a complete failure then....
If Apple started offering a version of the iPhone 3GS with no internal storage (or just enough to hold the OS) and with a microsd slot, and if said version was 150 cheaper than the 16GB model, yes, I'm absolutely convinced nobody would buy the 16GB anymore. Call me crazy.
To repeat what I said in my first post: the reason why the X6 is a complete failure is that it is an incredibly bad deal when compared with the 5800 with a 16GB card.

Old 27-01-2010, 09:12 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
as far as I know, Nokia is adding a microSD slot in it also. Because a Nokia official informed me that it will also come with a newer firmware version aswell as a micro SD slot and microUSB charging support.
Seems very highly unlikely to completely re-engineer a product just after its launch. I think in their history Nokia have done this roughly, er, zero times?

Old 27-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
What a dissapointment.

This really isn't an upgrade to the 5800.

If you are going to compare prices, you have to compare current prices, simply because the X6 hasn't really moved on. Same OS (really, it's not got anything worth of note added), and the same processor.

And no card slot?

At what point does it mak any sense at all to make someone pay for a set memory limit?

Being that the memory is often a very expensive part of the phone, I'd much rather be able to pay for memory cards of a size of my choice (or even use old ones) and pay less for the phone.

Instead it's forcing people to pay for something that could either be too much, or worst case not enough.

I really want something to replace my 5800. But a phone with the only upside of a slightly better camera for almost double the money is not enticing.

I was hoping for annoucement of the C series, but alas, it was just this cut down overpriced X6 rubbish.

Old 27-01-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The X6 16GB specifications page is up on Nokia's European site. According to it, there's no microsd slot, no usb charging. It's a pity, because with these two features (and maybe a magnetometer thrown in the mix, for good measure) it would make a very appealing phone.