All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-01-2008, 11:27 PM

razmataz is on a distinguished road
Angry Screen trouble

I've had my N95 for about 2 months now, used it for less than 1 month total. Never dropped it, abused it, it has not even one small scratch, always kept it in it's case. 10 minutes ago my screen started showing some weird lines (middle of screen, left to right), I have about 3 of them (lines, not phones ). They just appeared out of the blue. Turned off the phone, took out the battery, turned it back on again but no change. I noticed the screen is pretty fragile, but I never keep keys in the same pocket as my phone or anything like it, nor did I sit down on it.

Anyone know why this is ? Thanks.

Last edited by razmataz; 16-01-2008 at 11:30 PM.

Old 17-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
most probably a defective ribbon/connection... 2 options... search the forum/net for a 'take apart' option, or take it back to a NSC and get them to fix it.
Out of interest, does anything change if you apply some light pressure to either or both sides? Try the right side first.

Old 17-01-2008, 11:09 AM

jrshodges is on a distinguished road
I had exactly the same issue and spoke to Orange about it - they ended up replacing my phone next day under warranty. So I suggest either contacting your local NSC or your provider if it was bought on contract....

Old 17-01-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontraband View Post
most probably a defective ribbon/connection... 2 options... search the forum/net for a 'take apart' option, or take it back to a NSC and get them to fix it.
Out of interest, does anything change if you apply some light pressure to either or both sides? Try the right side first.
No, nothing at all, even applied little pressure to the affected area and no change. I am taking it to the Nokia store this weekend, hope they won't give me headaches.

Thanks anyways, cheers !

PS: This is what bugs me the most about slider phones, the ribbon/connectors can get easily damaged.

Old 17-01-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrshodges View Post
I had exactly the same issue and spoke to Orange about it - they ended up replacing my phone next day under warranty. So I suggest either contacting your local NSC or your provider if it was bought on contract....
I got it directly form the Nokia store in the local mall. Hope they replace mine too. Since I don't want an expensive phone like this "fixed". Also, but this is something that did not bother me, so I just ignored it. The upper left key on my slider was a bit dodgy since day one, it's not smooth at all like the rest of them, feels like there is something stuck underneath.

Last edited by razmataz; 17-01-2008 at 01:35 PM.

Old 23-01-2008, 07:24 PM

UPDATE

Well after a few days, the lines I was talking about, slowly started to fade away/disappear, little by little (weird). Now, do you guys think a 3rd party application could have caused this, could it have been software related ? I am 110% sure I did not get any water spilled onto the phone, nor anything like this. I babied this phone since day one !

Or is it the ribbon/connector ?
Ads

Old 23-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
I dunno how a 3rd party app coulda done it?? Dunno... suppose it depends what the screen is being asked to do???

Old 23-01-2008, 07:44 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
It might be that the ribbon is loose and the connection is ok for now. Pressing a button with a little too much pressure or a simple shake *could* cause the problem to reoccurr.

I had a similar problem with the ribbon connecting between the two halves of my old 9110i communicator. It was slightly damaged and caused lots of lines to appear on the large inner screen whenever i opened up the phone. I took it apart and turned the ribbon round and it started working again

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open