All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Apperently thats not always the case.

There are 2 engineers on N95 users which know about this.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:10 PM

Dansri is on a distinguished road
yes, changing the product code to obtain a newer firmware is a risk, but many people do it and have no issue's.

as stated i dont take responcibility for someone else doing this to there phone, only advise on the procedure on how to perform this task. I do not force anyone to do it.

i cannot understand how nokia can refuse to repair a handset if the product code is correct. understandibly if the firmware is newer than the approved version for the original product code then then i can see a problem..... but the chances are slim that it will be refused.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

The argument is that you have tampered with the device in ways you are not supposed to. Changing product code is using software thats accessing bits your are presumably not supposed to access.

As a general rule, you should presume you will void your warranty, because although it might be unlikely, its still very possible they will refuse to repair it.

Which means if it develops a fault, you might be either stuck with an expensive contract to pay off, or you have a 400+ paperweight.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:36 PM

Dansri is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
if it develops a fault, you might be either stuck with an expensive contract to pay off, or you have a 400+ paperweight.
wise words! and i agree!

if this was the case that nokia do not warrant there own firmware updates and product codes, then to me seems a bit odd.

all the handsets are built with the smae components the only varients are in what software is installed. so by using a different PC and firmware (both of which are issued by nokia) it shouldnt make a difference IMO.

anyway, back to the main topic.... Genie, as stated, you can change the PC back to original one, but performing the change can/will void your warranty and is done at your own choice.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

I agree, it shouldn't, but sadly it does. Even more so since Nokia are slow to relase it on all product codes. It's especially bad for those with network firmware, especially for vodafone's N96. It's very bad, and unreliable and slows it tremendously. A lot of people have reported it running much faster after debranding.

Which is why I no longer touch branded network phones.

Since I might be faced with either crippling firmware (or no/very slow update to it), or no warranty I figure its better going simfree. Cost is usually the same, or less over the time period.

Question for the OP... does the new firmware have fixes in it thats absoloutly crucial? Or can it wait till its released on your product code?

If you have a Nokia service center near you, it might be worth asking, as sometimes they can flash with new firmwares before they come out on NSU.
Ads