All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 25-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia 5230 - 6 months Internet and 8GB card for £79.99

T-Mobile UK are having a one day sale on their range of PAYG (Pre-Pay) mobile phones. As a result, the Nokia 5230 is available for £79.99. As part of the package you'll also get an 8GB microSD card and six months of Internet access. The 5230 is also one of Nokia's Ovi Maps free navigation phones, so you'll also be getting worldwide free sat-nav too. We think this represents fantastic value for money for those looking for a low cost smartphone or for a backup phone. But you've only got til midnight. More analysis below.

Read on in the full article.

Old 25-03-2010, 02:14 PM

germcevoy is on a distinguished road
That's amazingly good. Might buy one as a backup phone. Also have a relatives birthday coming up. Excellent value.

Old 25-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Unregistered

And this, friends, is where we see Nokia absolutely blowing away every iPhone, Android (HTC), RIM and so on out there. Because it is ONLY with Nokia that the vast majority of people in the world that are not blessed with oodles of cash, can have an extremely powerful and capable and robust modern smartphone, and one that exceeds in many ways rivals costing many times more.

Old 25-03-2010, 02:34 PM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Rafe,

Where does it explicitly say that it comes with 6 months free internet, and details of how you can then add this again for another six months for just 20 please sir?

I notice certain other PAYG handsets in today's deal offer this, but can't find anything about this for the 5230.

So despite me flagging this up to you earlier as a great deal, I wasn't actually planning on taking this out myself as a spare handset to browse the web at home on, with it's lack of wi-fi.

But if it does indeed come with six months free internet with a 1GB monthly allowance, this is not a steal, it's a CRIME not to get it.

So can you advise us on where it confirms it comes with the 6 months internet too?

Thanks Rafe...

EDIT:

Rafe, disregard, it DOES INDEED say it comes with 6 months free internet, AND 30 days free texts too.

AMAZING offer this!

Any idea where we can read information on the 6 month Internet Booster though, as T-mobile does indeed then allude to this, but on their Boosters page, doesn't show anything other than a 5 day Internet Booster.

Last edited by shadamehr; 25-03-2010 at 02:43 PM. Reason: As above...

Old 25-03-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
And this, friends, is where we see Nokia absolutely blowing away every iPhone, Android (HTC), RIM and so on out there. Because it is ONLY with Nokia that the vast majority of people in the world that are not blessed with oodles of cash, can have an extremely powerful and capable and robust modern smartphone, and one that exceeds in many ways rivals costing many times more.
The best thing about that post, is that at first, the less wise would read it as sarcasm.

But if you read it properly, and know what the another means (emerging markets, and so on), it's absolutely 101% true...

Like Rafe says, just compare the nett cost of this here in the UK, to the USA where whilst a fair bit more, even before higher running costs, it's still the cheapest Smartphone in the USA pretty much.

Real steal this, especially if the 6 months internet offer is indeed true.

Old 25-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Unregistered

> So can you advise us on where it confirms it comes with the 6 months internet too?

You really didn't click through to the link given in the story you're commenting on, did you?

Click the link given twice to T-Mobile's site, then read - it says, in bold type, "30 days free texts & 6 months free internet"

Old 25-03-2010, 02:43 PM

germcevoy is on a distinguished road
Off topic but Symbian really do need to shrink that options and exit bar down the right hand side. That's a good 30% of the screen taken up with nothing.

Old 25-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
The details on the six month add on are here: http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/payg/boosters/

Quote:
Pay as you go customer? If you have a compatible phone, you can text 6MONTHWEB to 441 for free from your T-Mobile phone to buy our 6-month Booster giving you 6 months of unlimited internet browsing on your phone.
The six month one cost 20 - 1GB per month fair usage. At 3.33 that's great value in my book.

The six months is mentioned on this page, so I think you're OK

and yes you're right about the 10 top up being required, will do a quick addition to the story.

Oh and I made sure to credit your Tweet as well

Old 25-03-2010, 04:33 PM

matchstick is on a distinguished road
I've just signed up for the cheapest handset with 6month free Intenet (Samsung E100 @ 15.99) just for the SIM which will go into my Nokia 5800

Works out at 25.99 with top-up but you can also claim 10 cashback via Quidco(today only), so 15.99 for 6 months net access sounds good to me

Anyone want to buy a new Samsung E100 ?

Last edited by matchstick; 25-03-2010 at 04:46 PM.

Old 25-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchstick View Post
I've just signed up for the cheapest handset with 6month free Intenet (Samsung E100 @ 15.99) just for the SIM which will go into my Nokia 5800

Works out at 25.99 with top-up but you can also claim 10 cashback via Quidco(today only), so 15.99 for 6 months net access sounds good to me

Anyone want to buy a new Samsung E100 ?
MVNO GiffGaff did a free SIM with 6 months free internet and 8p/min 4p/text deal, but that's coming to an end now, the internet is likely to still be competitive with this TMoible 20 for 6 months though.

Prices keep coming down and down.

Old 25-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Unregistered

I bought a 5230 on Three from Carphone Warehouse last week for 78 plus a tenner of airtime to replace a 6220. This is a cracking phone, and certainly in real life feels as fast as my wife's N97. Ok so it does not have wifi, 32GB of mass storage, and the camera's a bit pokey, but it's a fifth of the price. Even compared against a 5800, which is between 170-200 street for the addition of wifi.

I think this phone, when coupled with a decent internet deal, has to be the best bargain out there at the moment. I love mine, and it is coming close to replacing my N810 for most of the things I use mine for.

Old 25-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Unregistered

This is good if you like very cheap. Not good if you want good
So slow, it takes one second to start mp3 playback after pressing play. Interface and usability is so bad, you need to refresh music library after adding music...
http://www.cooltechzone.com/2010/03/...early-testing/

Old 25-03-2010, 07:57 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So slow, it takes one second to start mp3 playback after pressing play. Interface and usability is so bad, you need to refresh music library after adding music...
Not quite sure what version they've reviewed, or even how they reviewed it, but thats basically a load of rubbish. The reviewer doesn't quite have what you'd call a grasp on reality, and appears to be a bit of an elitist snob. As one of the commentors on the report says "Sometimes BGR just doesn't get the point".

The 5230 responds just as quick as a 5800, N97 or X6. They're all the same blasted phone underneath with minor spec differences. Music player on my (v11 firmware) plays as soon as you press the play button. Its stops as soon as you press pause or stop. No problems.

UI isn't as elegant as that on the iPhone, but then nothing is.

The nuron is being handicapped by inexplicably expensive pricing, and quite possibly some ridiculous firmware mods by T-Mob USA. Look at the price of the 5230 in the UK. Its what, less than a quarter of the price of the iPhone 3G, but with the same feature set. Its stunningly good value for money.

Incidentally on the camera - sure, its not the most accurate, but as it lacks autofocus, it can grab a moment that an N95 or N97 can't. Also, if you switch it to B&W/high contrast/high ISO, you can get some beautifully atmospheric images very much akin to grainy 35mm shots - they do look absolutely stunning!
Ads

Old 25-03-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
  1. Don't have one (til tomorrow), so can't comment. But hey, it is a budget phone with lower end processor and RAM. But 5800 XM is fine in this regard, and is the same OS, and spec, excepting wi-fi and a tiny fraction less RAM, so there shouldn't be an issue.
  2. Usability is identical to 5800, and there aren't many issues there with owners, so this should be a none-issue, and interface is same as N97 and N97 mini but without the widgets, so again, Hmmm....
  3. On all Nokia devices, you have to do this.

So whilst your point 3 may be a valid one, in terms of being a general Nokia issue, it certainly is not a SPECIFIC issue or down-mark against the 5230 in particular, given this applies to every Nokia.

So all in all, having measured them up, for 79.99 this is a truly PHENOMENAL amount of phone, for a TINY price.

Here, let me make it really simple for all doubters... Forget it's a phone as such... let's pretend it doesn't even have phone features, sms, mms, and basic camera to shoot photos...

As it comes with the newer 3.04 option for Ovi Maps, and as it comes with free internet for six months, then you are getting a truly FULLY FEATURED satellite navigation device, with a decent sized wide screen, with full text to speech navigation commands, safety cameras, traffic reports with it being a CONNECTED device, WORLDWIDE mapping, that can be stored to memory card (and it even comes with an 8GB card for free to do this) and location sharing, Facebook Integration, Weather, Events, and City Guides, and full breadcrumb pedestrian navigation...

All for a ridiculous price of 79.99

Did I forget to mention, you can even ring people up on it, send them clever little textual worded messages up to 160 characters, or multiples thereof, and even take basic photos with it, and even SEND them to people.

Eeh how clever is that.

Add in of course, the good screen size, and free internet, and you have a handy email companion, and Google Maps with live search.

But like I say, pretend all the rest don't even exist, and at 79.99, you get a truly fully featured sat-nav device with all the trimmings...

How can ANYONE complain about the phone (though some are indeed doing just that).

*lol*

Old 25-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Unregistered

What self-respecting gadget carries around a 'smart phone' without wifi? It means no Joikuspot on S60!

In 2010, a device without wifi is basically a feature phone.