All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-01-2003, 07:46 PM

densanan is on a distinguished road
IR Printing

I have tried to print with my 7650 (infrared) to a HP laserjet, but i always get a send error. Do i need to configure anything or need an extra program ?
Ads

Old 27-01-2003, 08:14 PM

Stezos is on a distinguished road
There are no printer drivers for the 7650 so IR printing is not possible.

Old 27-01-2003, 10:15 PM

Urpo is on a distinguished road
Yes it is!!!! I have tested it. Only *.txt, *.jpg and *.bmp files can be printed via ir (I don't remember the printer name/model).

It would be great if there somewhere were printer drivers for the phone so it would be possible to print *.doc and some other files.

Old 27-01-2003, 10:27 PM

tiger42 is on a distinguished road
Unbelievable! It really works!!! I've just printed a .jpg via IR. The printer I've tested is a HP PhotoSmart 1215.

Old 27-01-2003, 10:38 PM

Stezos is on a distinguished road
If any one else has managed to print from a 7650 please state what models they are because ive tried it with 4 printers i think they were a HP 4p 5p 6p and a desk jet 350 all of them without any luck.

Old 27-01-2003, 10:51 PM

Urpo is on a distinguished road
I will report the printer tomorr... today about name/model. I'm not able to do that now because the printers are in my school.

Old 27-01-2003, 11:41 PM

sigmacom is on a distinguished road
I discovered this "trick" a long time ago. I thougth that this trick was already well known to anyone! ops: It works for HP LaserJet 6p, DeskJet -something (can't remember the type right now, but I will...), DOES NOT work with HP PhotoSmart P1000.
I'll let you know about the DeskJet exact model.

THE PLANET!

Old 28-01-2003, 12:20 AM

Zipper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stezos
If any one else has managed to print from a 7650 please state what models they are because ive tried it with 4 printers i think they were a HP 4p 5p 6p and a desk jet 350 all of them without any luck.
Yes I have on numerous occasions printed via IR, Mostly HP's ... Also various other printer models. It would be fairly pointless of me saying which models because Ive used so many, plus some arnt availble to the public any ho

If knowledge is power, then to be unknowen is to be unconquerable

Old 28-01-2003, 07:23 AM

seanmiguel is on a distinguished road
i have printed .jpg, .bmp, and .txt using HP Laser Jet2200 Series PS, i simply activated my IR and connected with the printer.

Old 28-01-2003, 09:21 AM

duykhang is on a distinguished road
Could you tell me, may i use USB bluetooth dongle to connect to printer or scanner (USB interface) and make it as bluetooth devices

Old 28-01-2003, 12:54 PM

JyriK is on a distinguished road
Nope. Wont work that way.

Old 16-09-2003, 12:38 PM

www_TiF_ro is on a distinguished road
Infrared Printing (print anything)

Some usefull stuff I discovered you can do with the HP DeskJet 450 (it supports IrObex protocol) when sending files directly to it (using "send to IR"):
1. send .jpg files
2. send .txt files
3. send .vcf files
4. send .pcl files

1. .jpg files sent directly to IR will print ok, the printer knows to decode JPG (EXIF) files ! The only problem is the small size in which they are printed (about 2 inches wide). So you better print them from pc using some photo software.

2. .txt files sent directly to IR are printed fine, in Courier font.

3. When you send a contact via IR, actually you are sending a .vcf file. This printer prints them very nicely as design (in color, in a formatted table), BUT it does not print all the fields present in the vcf !!! It only prints some of the fields... dah... Name, Phones and Email will print fine, though...

4. A very usefull thing which some people asked me if it is possible is printing home-documents at the office via infrared.
Yes, it is possible. You should follow the steps:

[at home]
- Search the net for the printer drivers coresponding to the printer you have at the office. Install printer drivers at home. During installation, select FILE: as the device to which the printer is connected. This way you will "Print to file" each time.
- Print anything you like using the new printer driver. At printer preferences check "print to file" (only if you did not select FILE: at the previous step) and DISABLE HP PREVIEW (if you have this option in the printer preferences) !
- The driver will ask you for a file name. This is the file you will put on the phone. Enter full path (e.g. c:\printings\printfile1.pcl) MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE .PCL EXTENSION TO THE FILE !!!
- After the driver finishes printing (watch the printer monitor in the system tray) send the file to the phone (using bt or ir or...)

[at the office]
- simply send the .pcl file located in your inbox to the printer :-)
THE PRINTER WILL NOT PRINT THAT FILE CREATED USING "PRINT TO FILE" IF IT DOES NOT HAVE THE EXTENSION .PCL !!!

-----------------------------------
I found that .pcl extension should be used from the following location: http://www.irda.org/standards/pubs/PointandShootv1p1.pdf

By the way: in that document you can find info about other extensions supported by the new IR Printers: .vci, .ps etc.

.PS format is very usefull when "Printing to .PS" then sending it on a smart printer which supports IR and PostScript and IrObex.

All info above was tested only on the HP DeskJet 450 cbi printer, but I'm sure that knowing about the need to put the .pcl and .ps extension is usefull for other printers too.

8)

Old 24-09-2003, 12:10 PM

pasa is on a distinguished road
I remember being able to print all my contacts off my phone book through the 7110 to an Infra red port of an hp Laser jet unsure of the model number though

VIDEO TO YOUR MOBILE!
You can now view video clips direct from the Celebrity Big Brother House through Orange World Portal and Three Mobile Portal....

Old 30-09-2003, 06:52 PM
just

HP has written a program for series 60-devices to print wirelessly:

http://h50115.www5.hp.com/phone2print/index.asp

There is some background about the app here: http://www.wirelessdevnet.com/symbian/rb_62.html

Old 06-10-2003, 10:54 AM

nk8 is on a distinguished road
i'm a bit late in getting to this thread, but yeah it works, at college, i can pointlessly take the picture of the back of someone without them knowing, then print the picture out and leave it their in the printer tray untill they pick up their printed work,

www.haroboy.boltblue.com