All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
A Nokia N97 sort of day...

Just a few miscellaneous Nokia N97 bits and pieces. Rafe, Ewan and I had the N97 as the core of our recording of AAS Insight 70, which will be up on Monday - we're all in agreement over the great 'N97 clock speed' debate, at least. Then there were yet more example N97 camera photos, looking good, all taken by a Symbian employee no less. And now there's a near-ten-minute arty video (embedded below) from the guys who designed the N97, including some interesting snaps of the Nokia production line and some new screenshots and animations (plus all you ever wanted to know about the N97 hinge).

Read on in the full article.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Unregistered

Those pictures look really good and vibrant, altough with graffitis it's pretty hard to say how natural the colour definition is.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Unregistered

First sentence from the vid "What people want is what we wanted to build here"

Fail. People want, quite clearly, a Xenon Flash. People want to not have to keep compromising with Nokia products. People want to not have to put up with a phone that has several great features and a few crap ones, as if they're somehow trying to keep the balance. I want ONE device that means I don't have to carry any other device. The N97 automatically fails because I quite often want to take night shots, and LED flash NEVER MAKES THE GRADE. Ever. Why will Nokia not realise this?

The N82 is STILL the best handset Nokia have produced, and in my opinion the best handset in the world, because it fulfills all my ESSENTIAL needs and requirements. Early adopters take note: touch sensitivity and the latest firmware are not essential needs. Being able to take half decent photos in the dark, is. Of course, there are other essential needs, but the N82 fufills all those that mean I don't need to carry ANY other device. At all. The N97 offers nothing over the N82 in terms of essential needs. Therefore I, like many others, will not spend money on the N97. Which is Nokia's base reason for producing it. So they have failed, at least with many potential buyers.

On a separate note, that is almost the worst embedded video player I have used, the expand to full screen button doesn't work and the HD/SD res. button fails half the time. Dear oh dear.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:05 PM

Symbianworld is on a distinguished road
Hi,
indeed, the pictures look good and ways better than pictures taken with the N96. The video is really great. Seeing the work in the backgroudn is really interesting.

Looking forward to listen to AAS #70

Norman

Old 07-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Unregistered

Steve, when are you guys getting this handset to review? We're all itching for a good review!

Old 07-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Unregistered

"On a separate note, that is almost the worst embedded video player I have used, the expand to full screen button doesn't work and the HD/SD res. button fails half the time. Dear oh dear."
----------------------------------------------------------------
What else would you expect from one of Nokia's services? Is THIS what people are forgiving Nokia's shortcomings for? Is THIS what allowed Nokia to consistently pump out mediocre hardware for the past year? THIS is what the Nokia fanboys/bloggers are hyping up (with little success, mind you), honestly? Ovi? Pathetic.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Steve, when are you guys getting this handset to review? We're all itching for a good review!
Sadly, I don't think any of us at AAS will be getting serious hands-on time until the N97 starts appearing in shops somewhere in the world.... Very much looking forward to it though.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:56 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Nokia N97 design team, let me introduce you the HTC TyTN II, released in 2007. Seriously, watching the video I couldn't believe how big a deal they made of the sliding keyboard with the tilted screen, like it was something the world had never seen before.
Ads

Old 08-05-2009, 02:14 AM

Enizmitic is on a distinguished road
Unhappy A bit of an anticlimax...

I don't know...

I've always liked Nokia, love S60/Symbian. As a power user I feel let down. So many great new things were brought to the table with the N95.

The N97 feels like a recycled N95 with a large touchscreen and qwerty keyboard (the other stuff is fairly insignificant). I'm sure this thing will be somewhat of a success in the mainstream, but I think Nokia has really let down its power users.

I also think the N97 cost nokia very little to produce as it is probably shares components from the N95, which would now be very cheap. They are relying heavily on marketing and things like Widgets, purely because they really don't have anything new or innovative to offer.

I'd move to something like the Samsung i8910 (Touchwiz, native divx, 720p video recording 8mp) - but Nokia has me in a bind with Nokia only apps like Nokia Maps, Sports tracker, and all of the cool stuff coming out of Beta Labs....

Old 08-05-2009, 04:47 AM

jonnybruha is on a distinguished road
@Enizmitic, wait until we see what GPS solutions are available from Samsung before passing judgment. I really like what Nokia has done with Maps 3.0, but again, we've had to wait almost 2 years for that software to mature.

Since it's still S60v5, other GPS solutions like GarminXT and the like will still work, and I would be very surprised if the hacking community didn't find a way to hack all of Nokia's applications onto the i8910 within the first few weeks of its wider public availability like what has been done with other Samsung S60 devices in the past.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:43 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enizmitic View Post
I also think the N97 cost nokia very little to produce as it is probably shares components from the N95, which would now be very cheap.
I would imagine that the N97 shares very few components from the N95. Different form-factor, different processors. What components, exactly, do you believe these two very different models actually share?

Old 08-05-2009, 07:33 AM
Unregistered

I seriously doubt that Nokia design phones to please typical users of websites like this AAS one. So called power users who want the world need to remember that they are a niche market and are not going to sustain a company that is out to make a profit. Nokia are not going to waste millions of euros trying to please nit-pickers when they are guaranteed to fail because the nit-pickers will never be happy. The xenon flash is another thing that people refuse to accept is not suitable in profitable phone manufacture.

Nokia just want something to push out to as many buyers as possible and make as much cash as possible, and if that annoys and loses some geek customers then so be it.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:18 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
some things make me think

about NOT getting this device.
1. lack of xenon ... is really really a stupid design decision.
2. the camera should have had an improved sensor to 8Mp at least
3. the D-pad for me is just a waste of keyboard space. I don't want a gaming console.

I would have considered the N86 but that too fails on point 1.
Sorry Nokia. I'm also considering the Samsung.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Unregistered

For those who consider the lack of xenon a stupid design decision, perhaps you would like to help integrate a bulky, battery-hungry xenon flash complete with high voltages, fragility and expensive ungreen technologies into a compact handheld device to meet fcc and various other regulatory requirements in a short timeframe and on budget.

Let me know when you've finished.

I won't hold my breath.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:16 AM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
For those who consider the lack of xenon a stupid design decision, perhaps you would like to help integrate a bulky, battery-hungry xenon flash complete with high voltages, fragility and expensive ungreen technologies into a compact handheld device to meet fcc and various other regulatory requirements in a short timeframe and on budget.
Hahahaha. I have a N82. It's smaller than a N95 (so much for being bulky). When I bought it, it was cheaper than a N95 by almost 100 euros (so much for being expensive). It has a 1050mAh battery, which is adequate (so much for being battery-hungry). I don't think any N82 has ever exploded, in spite of the "high voltages" (ooh, I'm scared!). As for the alleged fragility of the N82, I think I'll let Steve address that one. Please don't make stuff up.