All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 31-03-2010, 08:06 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Facebook client for all S60 3rd Edition - get it while you can?

As a commenter in yesterday's story pointed out, the fact the Nokia totally broke their Ovi Store yesterday does have a potential upside: until things get fixed up, content aimed at specific devices is now available to other devices. Potentially dangerous, but one highlight is that the official Facebook client, only ratified previously for the E71 and E72, is now offered for other S60 3rd Edition devices. Grab it while you can. Screenshots below of it running on the N86, for example.

Read on in the full article.

Old 31-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Arron

Thanks but...

..it's already gone from the store for my N85.

Old 31-03-2010, 08:45 AM
Unregistered

Steve,

gotta love your enthusiasm. In Steve World broken = good. In normal world broken = not good.

I can appreciate your fervor but Nokia needs to clean up its act. Continuing to reward their bad behavior is not helpful. A more appropriate response could have been: "Nokia's Ovi Store is broken again. Not good. Hopefully they will fix it soon. In the meantime, blah, blah, blah".

Old 31-03-2010, 08:57 AM
Unregistered

Great news (not that the store is broken :-)) Now i finally have a facebook app for my beloved N95. Thanks :-)

Old 31-03-2010, 09:55 AM

Bosambo is on a distinguished road
Wink

Well if this was news when you posted it, it's old news now.

That's sealed it for me. New HTC Desire is being delivered This week so I'm done with Nokia and their broken systems. Later people...it's been real.
Ads

Old 31-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Unregistered

anyone kept the .sis?

Old 31-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Unregistered

You can delete the Facebook application (and then the Facebook Installer from App. mgr.) and reinstall it. Didn't have a clue how to extract the .sis file though!

Old 31-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Unregistered

@bosamba,

This is exactly how I feel. Instead of AAS holding Nokia to the fire, they write fluff pieces where in bizarre-o-land broken means good, up means down, and good means bad. While Apple fanboys are a hard lot to stomach, continued reading of AAS alone is enough to push you away from Nokia.

Old 31-03-2010, 11:23 AM
fakefur

@bosambo... likewise i'm waiting for my htc desire and then i'll be looking ro sell my N86 ... can't wait to get rid of this POS from my life

Old 31-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Unregistered

Had to search for it and it mostly works on the E55 but a couple of wrinkles. Photo upload doesn't work and camera options I've never seen before appear when it opens the camera application - presumably they're different on the E71/E72 from the E55. I'm waiting for the betalabs app to be released for 3rd edition phones.
The most irritating thing about Ovi store for me is the inability of anyone in Canada to buy any paid applications - we only get the free stuff.
BTW I can't understand why all these folks who hate Symbian and Nokia spend so much time on a Symbian website - must have alot of time on their hands, more than I do anyway.

Old 31-03-2010, 12:00 PM

tgdub is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You can delete the Facebook application (and then the Facebook Installer from App. mgr.) and reinstall it. Didn't have a clue how to extract the .sis file though!
If anyone could provide the .sis file that would be much appreciated. i had it installed previously on my E71, then my memory card crashed, now i can't re-download it via the ovi store, or find it anywhere in my phone (app manager, even y-browser). Any helps on how to relocate it or reinstall would be appreciated

Old 31-03-2010, 12:07 PM

jamoiholland is on a distinguished road
Surely Ovi Store must have a default download location for .sis files? Maybe flagged as hidden/system or something so that the standard fie manager can't see it? I too would be very interested to make backup copies of the .sis files from Ovi Store, including this Facebook app!

Old 31-03-2010, 12:28 PM

Pawlee is on a distinguished road
Okay, so this highlights the fact that the current s60v5 application is compatible/works well on the s60v3 platform...

So why hasn't it been officially released / tweaked so that it can be officially released with no problems?

If it already works for the most part then it should be an easy change?

like I said before s60v3 fml ;[

edit: Why are all the other touch apps still there but facebook not? Facebook is one of the most wanted apps on s60v3, so nokia is going to CENSOR that maybe to hide the fact they've broke the store? That doesn't fix the issue or disguise the issue, it's just admitting the issue but withholding ONE (very popular) app from all?...

Bah, I'm ranting now and probably not making much sense... Sort it out Nokia ;[

Last edited by Pawlee; 31-03-2010 at 12:32 PM.

Old 31-03-2010, 01:10 PM

rafiii is on a distinguished road
Ok so for those who want the installer, I have kept the installer which will download the WRT application after being installed. I have not try it on other phones so it may not works but at least give it a try:

http://www.mediafire.com/?24myw4nzxoy

Good luck !

Old 31-03-2010, 01:26 PM
wuf

got it for E90

Snapped FB app to my E90 just now. Seems to work fine.