All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-08-2007, 06:06 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The ghost of Psion? - the incredible peeling N76!

From reliable AAS contact apocalypso comes this huge, illustrated tale of woe about the Nokia N76. No, it's not about the appalling outdoor screen contrast or music-related software bugs that I spotted in our review - this time it's the peeling chrome finish that has got him (and his girlfriend) all worked up.

Read on in the full article.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:19 AM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
I just cannot get that link to work, anyone else having problems?
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Old 08-08-2007, 07:39 AM
Unregistered

The link works on my end.
Ads

Old 08-08-2007, 09:18 AM
Unregistered

Wink

Everything is fine with the link; Iíve just test it with few different browsers and no problems here? What error you getting!? Iím really curious about?

Oh yes, almost forget, 10X 4 spotting about Steve, really, just hope that it will helps to get some official reactions because this is the very common and very serious issue.

They are just to occupied with the platform tweaking and improving and they forget to care about quality completely, every new phone that I have had has some flaw including the mighty Nokia N95, I just hope that theyíll port S40 build quality to Smartphone portfolio soon or later :(

Cheers,
Teo

Old 08-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Administrator

"Everything is fine with the link; I�ve just test it with few different browsers and no problems here? What error you getting!? I�m really curious about?"

It just doesn't open, I get a completely blank page. I'm using Firefox 2 and Windows XP by the way.

I suspect it might be something to do with the advertising script used on Symbian Freak. I have a block in Windows on sending and receiving traffic from certain addresses, and this sometimes stops adverts appearing.

"They are just to occupied with the platform tweaking and improving and they forget to care about quality completely, every new phone that I have had has some flaw including the mighty Nokia N95. I just hope that they’ll port S40 build quality to Smartphone portfolio soon or later"

Like I keep saying, if you want a reliable S60 get a numbered one, not an Nseries one. The numbered ones seem to be generally much more stable, and they also have significantly lower prices too.

You mention S40, well, the numbered S60 models are made by the same people as the Series 40 models, whereas the Nseries and Eseries S60 models are made by completely different departments.

For example, the 6290 has virtually identical specifications to the N76, and is a similar form factor, but it costs 40% less, doesn't crash, and the paint doesn't peel off.

The trouble is, the media just concentrates on the Nseries models, and thinks all S60 phones are like that, but they're not. Nseries are expensive and cutting edge, but that also usually means they're quite fragile. Numbered S60 phones tend to have less impressive hardware features but tend to be higher build quality.

Over the past year I've reviewed the 6290, 5700, 6110 and 6120. Only the 5700 had any stability problems, the other three phones were all rock solid with no crashes at all in the weeks I had them.

Of all the S60 phones I've used, the 6120 is by far the best. If you offered me a choice between an N95 or 6120, I'd go for the 6120, even though it doesn't have things like GPS or 3D chips.

Last edited by krisse; 08-08-2007 at 10:24 AM.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:20 AM

hargs48 is on a distinguished road
krisse you do make a very convincing augment regarding the numbered S60 models, and the yes the 6290 and N76 share a lot of the same tech, but besides the slimness the N76 does have one ace up its sleeve, around 45mb free RAM after bootup...way more manageable and very slim chance of apps closing down. Only the E90 has more free RAM.I do agree though that this N76 "peeling off" incident is very bad publicity, seeing as how Nokia is promoting the phone as a cutting edge "computer" with the all style of Milan thrown in...

Old 08-08-2007, 12:47 PM

martinharnevie is on a distinguished road
As far as I recall it was only the grey Psion Series 5 that peeled. The green special edition Series 5 did not peel, nor did the 5mx and the MC218.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Administrator

"krisse you do make a very convincing augment regarding the numbered S60 models, and the yes the 6290 and N76 share a lot of the same tech, but besides the slimness the N76 does have one ace up its sleeve, around 45mb free RAM after bootup..."

You're quite right, but at least I did say "virtually" identical... ;-)

The problem with the free RAM on the N76 is that it's been marketed and designed for fashion and music phone users, not the kind of people who tend to open that many applications at once. On a model marketed as a designer phone, it's crazy that they have double the usual RAM but flaking paintwork. If the N76 had been designed and made by Nokia Mobile Phones instead of Nokia Multimedia, I bet it wouldn't have had this paint problem.

The impression you get is that Nokia Mobile Phones is the core of the company which really knows how to design and make reliable handsets in huge numbers, whereas Multimedia is more of a tech development unit that also makes handsets. Hopefully the recent reorganisation of Nokia will sort all this out, as there will no longer be Multimedia and Mobile Phones units but a Devices unit and a Services unit, separating the software development from the handset development. If they put the Mobile Phones people in charge of Devices, that should cause an improvement in Nseries build quality and reliability.