All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-11-2009, 04:15 PM

dog-man is on a distinguished road
Please can someone answer a quick question about debranding?

I am getting imaptient waiting for v2.0 to be available for my Vodafone Uk branded phone.

If I debrand to the Euro black or whatever, are all my vodafone specific settings resident in the sim card or do I have to download the settings from somewhere?

In other words, if I debrand then place my vodafone sim in the phone will it work through vodafone for calls, sms etc.

dog-man

Old 03-11-2009, 04:17 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashg77 View Post
Great news... but now it puts me in a dilema... i unbranded yesterday and installed V2.... before i go through the pain of re-installing my apps i am tempted to go back to my original CPW product code (0587691) just incase i have any issues....

Anyone got any thoughts on this?
After you changed the product code, did you upgrade (de-brand) using NSU, Phoenix or some other 3rd party app?

The reason I ask is that, if you did use NSU, then Nokia already has a record of the new product code and the time & date you flashed the de-branded firmware.

If you used NSU, your warranty is already technically void. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Old 03-11-2009, 04:23 PM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
Please can someone answer a quick question about debranding?

I am getting imaptient waiting for v2.0 to be available for my Vodafone Uk branded phone.

If I debrand to the Euro black or whatever, are all my vodafone specific settings resident in the sim card or do I have to download the settings from somewhere?

In other words, if I debrand then place my vodafone sim in the phone will it work through vodafone for calls, sms etc.

dog-man
I debranded mine from Vodafone weeks ago and I just used Phone setup in Applications to get the Vodafone settings. No problem.

However, as dez borders mentioned, you may invalidate your warranty by doing this.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:45 PM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian-ross@beeb.n View Post
Yes, there are 2 UK CV (Country Variant) codes,

One for black handsets, 0585162: N97 UK CV B (which v20 has been released for) and one for white handsets, 0587240: N97 UK CV W, yours according to the code. Which, for some strange reason has not had the v20 release.

You can use the Nokia software updater checker here:-

http://europe.nokia.com/get-support-...e/can-i-update
I thinkl I'm going bonkers! I actually have a black phone with the black code as per my signature but for some reason quoted the white code in my post..... God knows how I lnew it!? Anyway, there's no update for me on black.

You also mentioned a 3rd code 570817 as a UK code - what's that one about?

Old 03-11-2009, 04:46 PM

lp4u is on a distinguished road
i've debranded my UK n97 to EURO to be able to have V20. now i've put back the UK product code and i don't think that NSU updated my n97 to the UK version. can someone just coonfirm with me the language pack present in EURO and UK version? also can you also confirm if the font is BOLD in the UK version?

Old 03-11-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
I thinkl I'm going bonkers! I actually have a black phone with the black code as per my signature but for some reason quoted the white code in my post..... God knows how I lnew it!? Anyway, there's no update for me on black.

You also mentioned a 3rd code 570817 as a UK code - what's that one about?
You've lost it BanziBarn!

Queue the men with the white coat and long sleeves that do up at the back. It's all this waiting for v20... it's getting to you.

As you probably saw from my earlier posting and screenshot, v20 was showing for your product code. However since then the Nokia update checker sites worldwide have gone down.

The product code you mention is not strictly UK but the Continent version for Europe, which obviously covers the UK.

The way Nokia seem to work this is that the continents get the firmware first and then the CV (Country Variants) next, followed by the operator branded firmware.

It would seem that the CV's need individual tweaking to meet the country's requirements and then when that's done the operators can go to work with their branding stuff being added/subtracted.

Hence the delay from the Euro release down to the operator release.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:23 PM

alienwarez is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian-ross@beeb.n View Post
You've lost it BanziBarn!

Queue the men with the white coat and long sleeves that do up at the back. It's all this waiting for v20... it's getting to you.

As you probably saw from my earlier posting and screenshot, v20 was showing for your product code. However since then the Nokia update checker sites worldwide have gone down.

The product code you mention is not strictly UK but the Continent version for Europe, which obviously covers the UK.

The way Nokia seem to work this is that the continents get the firmware first and then the CV (Country Variants) next, followed by the operator branded firmware.

It would seem that the CV's need individual tweaking to meet the country's requirements and then when that's done the operators can go to work with their branding stuff being added/subtracted.

Hence the delay from the Euro release down to the operator release.

Hope that helps.
I'd advise that anyone having difficulty clean out their AppData/Nokia folder and start from scratch, I am on 0585162 and got the update show up yesterday. Also there can be conflicts if Ovi Suite is running at the same time as PC Suite so make sure that it's not.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Nokia\Nokia Service Layer

Regards and hope it helps

Old 03-11-2009, 05:34 PM

VERSION 2 NOW AVAILABLE FOR BLACK UK PHONES as per what ian-ross has been saying - must have come up today as it defo wasn't there yesterday

Just backing up (not settings), and copying my music and photos off mass before a format, hard reset and then update!

If the update gets been pulled by the time I actually do I'll be well annoyed

PS - men with white coats waiting for me to update before carting me off.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:38 PM

angiepea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
VERSION 2 NOW AVAILABLE FOR BLACK UK PHONES as per what ian-ross has been saying - must have come up today as it defo wasn't there yesterday

Just backing up (not settings), and copying my music and photos off mass before a format, hard reset and then update!

If the update gets been pulled by the time I actually do I'll be well annoyed

PS - men with white coats waiting for me to update before carting me off.
eeeeekk !!! sooo happy for you Banz

Old 03-11-2009, 05:43 PM

Availavble for white UK CV 0576350 unbranded phones as well.

See screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UKwhite.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	4686  

Old 03-11-2009, 05:47 PM

500 brick here I come!

Old 03-11-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
500 brick here I come!
Be positive BanziBarn, but, just in case, here's Bigzzy's Vulcan Death Grip instructions link:-

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=86049

Good luck!

Old 03-11-2009, 06:27 PM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
500 brick here I come!
Ha!

My 500 brick is sitting in a darkened drawer at home. The N95 has come out to play again.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 03-11-2009, 06:30 PM

dog-man is on a distinguished road
I take it that there is no way to debrand without Nokia being able to find out by checking the log file, no matter what program I use to debrand.

I am not too bothered about the warranty isue, but if there is a way to avoid it, then obviously I would want to hold onto it.

dog-man

Old 03-11-2009, 07:01 PM

Update successful.

Restored calendar and contacts, now putting music, photos and video back onto Mass.

Then comes the long task of doing all the settings, apps, and folder structure.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me on the forum!