All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-01-2009, 08:55 PM

dhevans_6 is on a distinguished road
Unable to get licence - iPlayer on N96

I've finally parted from my old N80 and got my N96 this morning.

So far so good, until I tried to download a program using iPlayer.
I can download the program fine, but when I come to play it I get a screen saying Registration content with provider required.

I hit Register, and get the error message "Unable to get licence".

I've tried both my WLAN and the O2 packet connection, and I've upgraded the iPlayer as it prompted me when I first started it up.

The phone's on 12.043 firmware.

Apologies for hopefully a simple question, but haven't really played with iPlayer on the PC let alone on the phone!

Old 21-01-2009, 11:39 AM

Dansri is on a distinguished road
hmmmmm maybe try doing a firmware update (although your on the upto date one it may make a difference)....

or re-install it from the "download" option again....

Old 21-01-2009, 09:46 PM

I did do both I think - the firmware update was the first thing I did after getting the phone (it was on v11 something beforehand) and iPlayer prompted me to upgrade when I first started it?

What could be the problem - on the phone or the iPlayer application itself?

Old 21-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
You might want to try downloading the video again - or is this happening on every download?

This is the DRM not working somewhere. It might be worth installing iPlayer again if the above is not working... though honestly I can't see that making a difference.

Old 22-01-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
You might want to try downloading the video again - or is this happening on every download?

This is the DRM not working somewhere. It might be worth installing iPlayer again if the above is not working... though honestly I can't see that making a difference.
Yes it's on every download, I've tried two different programs.
Just noticed the licence application and it the program is listed in the invalid licences list - I get the same problem if I attempt to get a licence.

It basically takes me to a blank web screen with a dialog saying registration with content provider required. I hit register and it says 'Unable to get licence'.

I've uninstalled iPlayer and re-installed too...

Old 01-04-2009, 12:26 AM

robnotbob is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhevans_6 View Post
Yes it's on every download, I've tried two different programs.
Just noticed the licence application and it the program is listed in the invalid licences list - I get the same problem if I attempt to get a licence.

It basically takes me to a blank web screen with a dialog saying registration with content provider required. I hit register and it says 'Unable to get licence'.

I've uninstalled iPlayer and re-installed too...
Hi dhevans

I am having this exact same problem. Did you ever resolve it or did you give up trying? !!
I have a feeling it is something to do with o2 as anyone else that I have come across with this problem is also on o2. I have tried contacting the BBC, at first they seemed interested in the problem and asked for full details, heard nothing from them since. Also tried tho o2 forums, what a waste of time that is, o2 are only interested in the iphone!!

If anyone else has a solution im all ears!!!!!

Thanks
Rob

Old 01-04-2009, 05:22 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhevans_6 View Post
So far so good, until I tried to download a program using iPlayer.
I can download the program fine, but when I come to play it I get a screen saying Registration content with provider required.

I hit Register, and get the error message "Unable to get licence".

I've tried both my WLAN and the O2 packet connection, and I've upgraded the iPlayer as it prompted me when I first started it up.

The phone's on 12.043 firmware.

Apologies for hopefully a simple question, but haven't really played with iPlayer on the PC let alone on the phone!

I just checked and my iPlayer is still working OK on V12.043 firmware. My product code is 0573063 UK CV Dark Grey.

One thing I have done is set RealPlayer to always use my Wireless Router as the default connection.
iPlayer uses RealPlayer to stream a selected program, and in my experience the connection fails unless RP is set to use an available (Wi-Fi preferred) connection.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by dez_borders; 01-04-2009 at 05:25 PM.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:13 PM

john.med is on a distinguished road
I'm having this very same problem. I've tried re-installing iplayer and downloading about ten different programmes, none of which will unlock. I've debranded with the same code as posted above, re-formatted the mass memory and hard reset numerous times, set the default wifi connections and I'm using the latest firmware too.

Surely there's a way round this problem? I've even emailed the Beeb, who are 'looking into the problem'...

And how do you find MOBILE downloads on iPlayer? Can't see any in mobile format?

(First post, so be kind)

Thanks, John

Last edited by john.med; 05-05-2009 at 08:15 PM. Reason: added detail

Old 05-05-2009, 09:30 PM

ffcphone is on a distinguished road
Workaround solution for the DRM issues you are having:

Using your PC, access the iPlayer website, select the programme you want to download. I've chosen http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...s_2_Episode_3/ as an example.
At bottom right hand side, you'll see "download" and "more downloads" options. Click "more downloads". Select "portable devices". Windows Media Player will then acquire the licence and offer you the opportunity of downloading and saving to your local hard drive a mobile-enhanced WMV file. Save to hard drive.

Connect your Nseries Nokia device in Media Transfer mode NOT PC Suite mode. Simply copy over the WMV file and hey presto.

F

Old 05-05-2009, 09:45 PM

Thanks for the help mate. Seems I was using chrome rather than ie and it didn't offer the same d/l options. I've just d/l'd that mobile version and am going to paste it over now...

Old 05-05-2009, 09:51 PM

It works!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the walk thru.

Wonder why sideloading works and the mobile iplayer download on the n96 won't work?!