All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

  #1  
Old 07-09-2006, 07:38 PM
dez_borders dez_borders is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,684
dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Question Memory Leak - N80 v4 FW or 3rd party Apps?

Hi All,

Using TaskMan I have discovered that my N80 with v4 FW has a pretty serious memory leak (discovered when low memory errors displayed using Nokia WEB browser)

At lunchtime my TaskMan claimed my N80 had around 10Mb of Free Memory, 33Mb of free Phone Disk and 200Mb of Memory card.

I rebooted the phone as I thought I should have more than 10Mb free, and then ran TaskMan again. Now I had 17.4Mb of free Memory, whilst Phone Disk and Memory Card values had not changed significantly.

In the last few minuted I checked memory usage with TaskMan and I now have only 15.3Mb Memory Free (once again Phone Disk and Memory Card have not changed values to any degree)

My N80 is set to collect eMail every 60 minutes during working hours, using GPRS and the Nokia inbuild email app. I have also sent and received half a dozen SMS and made one voice call. I also have F-Secure Virus Scanner installed. Where has the missing 2.1Mb gone since 1pm?

By the way, when I Compress Memory using TaskMan, the 15.3Mb Memory free dropped to 14.8Mb. As usual, the Phone Disk and Memory Card usage remains more or less unchanged.

Finally, I rebooted my N80 and I now have 17.4 Mb Memory free again.


1. Does anyone else experience this or have any suggestions how to track down where the memory leak is coming from?

2. Do N80 owners with v3.0167 FW experience the same results?

3. Completely unrelated question: Does anyone know how to move the Nokia Browser cache from Phone Memory to Memory Card? I discovered 8Mb of Cache files on my Phone Internal Memory recently and had to clear it to stop Low Memory Errors whilst browsing.


Dez

Last edited by dez_borders; 07-09-2006 at 07:43 PM.

  #2  
Old 07-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Biggzy's Avatar
Biggzy Biggzy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 629
Biggzy is on a distinguished road
this 17.5 mb u refer to is RAM memory, everytime u use fone it drops in size until u reboot, its normal altho it does drop quite fast, nokia need to extend the ram to around 24 mb wich wud b a great improvment, what FW u using? iv got v4 and on boot up i have 19 mb
Ads

  #3  
Old 07-09-2006, 07:48 PM
dez_borders dez_borders is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,684
dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy
this 17.5 mb u refer to is RAM memory, everytime u use fone it drops in size until u reboot, its normal altho it does drop quite fast, nokia need to extend the ram to around 24 mb wich wud b a great improvment, what FW u using? iv got v4 and on boot up i have 19 mb
I am on v4.0623.0.41
26-07-2006
RM92
Nokia N80 (01)

Same as most of the v4 users I expect.

I didn't know Symbian 3rd suffered from serious memory leaks in normal use, thought they had fixed it in 2nd edition? Oh well!

Thanks for the info.

  #4  
Old 08-09-2006, 03:41 AM
Sebhelyesfarku Sebhelyesfarku is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 79
Sebhelyesfarku is on a distinguished road
With this theme you can have about 1MB more free RAM:

d2k.hu/ig/S60v3

  #5  
Old 08-09-2006, 07:36 AM
dez_borders dez_borders is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,684
dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebhelyesfarku
With this theme you can have about 1MB more free RAM:

d2k.hu/ig/S60v3
Thanks! Will give it a try tonight.

Does anyone know if/how to relocate the (Web) Cache folder from C: to the Memory Card? It was a major stupid idea of Nokia's to save it in the Phone Memory instead of the Phone Disk or Memory Card.

Dez

  #6  
Old 08-09-2006, 01:36 PM
steve_perry's Avatar
steve_perry steve_perry is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 271
steve_perry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders
Hi All,

Using TaskMan I have discovered that my N80 with v4 FW has a pretty serious memory leak (discovered when low memory errors displayed using Nokia WEB browser)

At lunchtime my TaskMan claimed my N80 had around 10Mb of Free Memory, 33Mb of free Phone Disk and 200Mb of Memory card.

I rebooted the phone as I thought I should have more than 10Mb free, and then ran TaskMan again. Now I had 17.4Mb of free Memory, whilst Phone Disk and Memory Card values had not changed significantly.

In the last few minuted I checked memory usage with TaskMan and I now have only 15.3Mb Memory Free (once again Phone Disk and Memory Card have not changed values to any degree)

My N80 is set to collect eMail every 60 minutes during working hours, using GPRS and the Nokia inbuild email app. I have also sent and received half a dozen SMS and made one voice call. I also have F-Secure Virus Scanner installed. Where has the missing 2.1Mb gone since 1pm?

By the way, when I Compress Memory using TaskMan, the 15.3Mb Memory free dropped to 14.8Mb. As usual, the Phone Disk and Memory Card usage remains more or less unchanged.

Finally, I rebooted my N80 and I now have 17.4 Mb Memory free again.


1. Does anyone else experience this or have any suggestions how to track down where the memory leak is coming from?

2. Do N80 owners with v3.0167 FW experience the same results?

3. Completely unrelated question: Does anyone know how to move the Nokia Browser cache from Phone Memory to Memory Card? I discovered 8Mb of Cache files on my Phone Internal Memory recently and had to clear it to stop Low Memory Errors whilst browsing.


Dez
To answer your 2nd question V3 Orange FW of the N80 is alot worse with regard memory leaks. My N80 used to boot with approx 15Mb of free RAM and this would usually drop to between 10-11Mb. Running the web application would chew memory down to 8Mb or lower.

Now that I am running V4 generic FW the phone boots to approx 19Mb of free RAM and this normally drops to approx 16-17Mb. Of course if I run the web app this drops to about 13Mb.

Just sharing my experience.

S.
__________________
Motorola MR30: Nov97
Nokias:
7110: Mar00
7650: Sep02
N70: Nov05
N80: Aug06
N82 Black: May08
X6 Black/Red: Dec09
Samsung Galaxy S II: May11

  #7  
Old 08-09-2006, 03:21 PM
Thaijames Thaijames is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8
Thaijames is on a distinguished road
Memory leaks used to be much worst with the 3.x version of the firmware. Now it is better but it does still leak which means that you are better off restarting the phone to gain the memory back.

  #8  
Old 08-09-2006, 04:18 PM
dez_borders dez_borders is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,684
dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_perry
To answer your 2nd question V3 Orange FW of the N80 is alot worse with regard memory leaks. My N80 used to boot with approx 15Mb of free RAM and this would usually drop to between 10-11Mb. Running the web application would chew memory down to 8Mb or lower.

Now that I am running V4 generic FW the phone boots to approx 19Mb of free RAM and this normally drops to approx 16-17Mb. Of course if I run the web app this drops to about 13Mb.

Just sharing my experience.

S.
Thanks for the feedback - I suppose I should be glad I don't have Orange FW?? lol

Today's readings are that after 24 hours use - a few voice calls, SMS, and eMails (no WEB browsing that I can remember) TaskMan says I have 11.73Mb Phone Memory free, instead of the 17.4Mb I started with after a reboot.

I guess a reboot every 24 hours (or possibly switch off the N80 whilst charging overnight) would be a good habit to get into?


The next big question...

Is there any way to reboot an N80 without powering it off first? On the N70 both TaskMan and FExplorer had functions to do this...



Cheers,
Dez

Last edited by dez_borders; 08-09-2006 at 04:20 PM.
 

Bookmarks

Tags
3rd, apps, leak, memory, n80, party

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
no third party audio recording apps? SlimSingh Nokia 3650, 3660, and 3620 4 20-05-2004 03:57 PM
New P800 user. 3rd party apps advice please Viking Sony Ericsson P800, P900 and P910 5 14-08-2003 02:35 PM
Can Apps be loaded on a Memory Stick? Sony Ericsson P800, P900 and P910 2 13-03-2003 09:38 PM
Remove apps, lose a bit of memory each time? Chaos Nokia 7650 3 30-11-2002 02:36 PM



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:26 AM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy