All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 17-09-2006, 02:27 PM

yasmin yong is on a distinguished road
Need help with ungrading my Nokia 6630 memory card

Hi,
My Nokia 6630 have problem reading certain file on my memory card. Without the memory card, I could take video , use the movie/muvee function . After inserting my memory card with mp3 , smart movie, pvplayer, I could not take any video, nor use the movie/muvee function but I could use the pvplayer. then after upgrading to a bigger memory card, I could not use the video and movie function nor the pvplayer..
I took it to the shop where I bought the phone but they could not help after trying it... I have formatted my memory card in my phone as advised but to no avail..
I've read that I have to format my phone? If so, how do I back up my phone data? I know how to back up my memory card data but I don't know how to back up my phone data?
I would appreciate it very much if someone could give me a step by step guide on how to solve this problem...Your help will be much appreciated by a novice like.. ) best,
yasmin

Old 17-09-2006, 02:42 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
The easy way, is do the backup process to the card (to one that work) and after format, do the restore. Also is possible to do the backup with PCSuite.

Old 17-09-2006, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have backed up my memory card and reformat and then transferred all the files again but unfortunately I still could not use the functions mentioned. Can anyone help? thanks
yasmin

Old 18-09-2006, 05:03 AM

ratza is on a distinguished road
Format the phone and don't restore the backup. Try to see what happens then. If it works OK, then you have a malicious app installed. Restore the backup and uninstall all the apps from your phone if you have copies of them. After each uninstalled app, try to see if the pohne works.

Old 18-09-2006, 07:33 AM

rulirahm is on a distinguished road
Format the MMC through PC using card reader under DOS (Command prompt) app.

Type: FORMAT MMC_DRIVE: /FS:FAT <enter>

Old 18-09-2006, 07:59 AM

Hi,
thanks so much but how do I format under DOS ( command prompt) app? I'm so poor in this. where should I go to format under DOS? I need your help again. )
best,
yasmin

Old 18-09-2006, 08:16 AM

rulirahm is on a distinguished road
Start > Run > type 'cmd' <enter>.

Old 18-09-2006, 09:59 AM

Hi,
Tried the Dos command as stated but I got " invalid drive specification".. so what to do now??? I'm getting desperate!

Old 18-09-2006, 10:45 AM

c:>format [drive letter]:, or, find a friend with windows and do the format there.

Old 23-09-2006, 07:38 AM

Hi, did everything but still could not open my pv player movie director and video recorder. when I formatted the memory card in my phone, I could use all the function but once I reinstalled all the files including system file, I could not make use of the pv player, movie director and video recorder.. I also couldnot open all my video clips when I go to the gallery option... any more help?

Old 23-09-2006, 07:28 PM

Do a phone format, and try again.

Old 24-09-2006, 04:12 AM

Hi, thanks so much but how to do a phone format? will all the programs that come with the phone be lost or do I have to backup the phone memory? If so how do I back up the phone memory? Do I have to take out the memory card when I format the phone? I hope you can give me a detailed instruction as I am not an advance user.. You help is very much appreciated.

Old 24-09-2006, 06:55 AM

First, try a soft format: *#7370#; If doesn´t work, then an Hard format: Green Key + * + 3, and power on - wait untill "format" appears. Do a backup first All personnal things, gonna be lost - contacts, calendar, tasks, installed programs and configurations. The Backup can be donne with PCSuite, and for saved messages PCSuite - Nokia Phone Browser - Messages. To do only a backup of contacts, it´s possible to use only Contacts Transfer soft, found here: http://personal.inet.fi/private/riih...s60/index.html. The card could stay on phone, because the "destruction" gonna be only on phone memory. Your card problem, could be a phone problem.

Old 26-09-2006, 08:34 AM

Smile

Hi, thanks again. did a phone format and it didn't solve the problem. then I remembered ratza's advice and tried deleting all the applications on the memory card from my PC ( before, I tried deleting the memory card app. from my phone which didn't work ). I installed one application at a time and put the memory card back into the phone to check if I could use the said function. I was happy that it worked until I installed another app. and it wouldn't work. so I now know which app. not to installed. It must be that the application is not compatible with my phone... Now I have a fully functional video recorder, movie director and could access all my videos from my gallery. thank you so much to all here for being so patient and willing to help a novice like me.... I'm glad I found this site and will continue posting.. I didn't know that when I got this phone, it has so many functions! LOL.. I feel a little daunted by this phone. LOL..
By the way, can anyone help me with this?( I willpost in a new thread too).
I tried to installed mobireader but it did not appear on my phone menu.. what I did was installed the mobireadersetupsim.zip on my computer and then copy it to my E/system/apps/.. Am I doing the correct thing? Do I need to install in on my hp?
How do I open .rar file on my handphone? Do I have to install a codec or...???
I do hope you you can understand what I am trying to say.. thanks
Ads

Old 26-09-2006, 09:08 AM

ratza is on a distinguished road
I don't know if there is an app which recognizes rar files, but there is a free one for zip files and it works brilliant.