All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-05-2007, 03:16 AM

jeditung is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Need help on bring my N80 back to life

I purchased a N80 less than a year ago, used it for about 4 months, and they had a new software update around October 2006, which I downloaded and tried to install. When updating the firmware, the usb cable accidently got disconnected, and my phone wouldn't start up again. I contacted Nokia USA and see if I can send it in for them to flash my phone. They told me to send it in. After about 1.5 month, they sent it back to me and said they didn't do anything with the phone because it was made in Europe. I then looked at the original packaging and see the phone was made in Finland. I purchased the phone on e-bay, and the 30 days warranty was no longer good with the cellphone company I bought it from, so I was stuck with my non-working N80. I have been using my blackberry in the mean time, but would really want to get my N80 back to working condition. I have been searching for cellphone provider in the NYC region and see who would flash my phone, but no one can do it.

Does anyone know what I can do to get my phone fixed. I am willing to pay to get my phone flashed with the updated software. I'm stuck with a "not exactly" broken N80. Please help!
Ads

Old 12-05-2007, 04:22 AM

sunshine is on a distinguished road
try iunlock...they have revived a lot of dead phones

Old 12-05-2007, 07:39 AM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Or send it back to Europe Nokia Service where the phone was made. But the price of all that may be to high for the task.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:39 PM

Cash is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeditung View Post
I purchased a N80 less than a year ago, used it for about 4 months, and they had a new software update around October 2006, which I downloaded and tried to install. When updating the firmware, the usb cable accidently got disconnected, and my phone wouldn't start up again. I contacted Nokia USA and see if I can send it in for them to flash my phone. They told me to send it in. After about 1.5 month, they sent it back to me and said they didn't do anything with the phone because it was made in Europe. I then looked at the original packaging and see the phone was made in Finland. I purchased the phone on e-bay, and the 30 days warranty was no longer good with the cellphone company I bought it from, so I was stuck with my non-working N80. I have been using my blackberry in the mean time, but would really want to get my N80 back to working condition. I have been searching for cellphone provider in the NYC region and see who would flash my phone, but no one can do it.

Does anyone know what I can do to get my phone fixed. I am willing to pay to get my phone flashed with the updated software. I'm stuck with a "not exactly" broken N80. Please help!
Try flashing several times with phoenix....several people have bought their N80 back to life after multiple attempts to reflash after bricking their phone...

Old 12-05-2007, 02:09 PM

Halon is on a distinguished road
I used a company based in Scotland called NokiaTech when my 1st N80 broke. They are are 'web friendly', ie, you report the problem and pay online then send the phone to them with a reference number they give you.

However, my suggestion is that you avoid them as a truly appalling six months later they have still not fixed or replaced it. I assume they intend to stall indefinitely until I, or they, die of old age.